Menu

CLE 700 and/or CLE 800 Sunrise..Should we continue or change to something else after 600

We have done CLE math since the begining, and I have loved it! I feel like my kids have a great gasp of what they have learned. My DS, 11, will finish 600 in a few months. I had orginally planned on moving from CLE 600 to MUS Alg, Jacobs,  or Forester, based on the PreA straddlers thread, and a few other things I have read. Then I read a few threads, here and other places that say that 700 and 800 are really good PreA and there isn't a reason to leave them since they have updated them to Sunrise edition. Some said they squished the two into one year, and others just skipped one year. The other users are going into Foresters or another Alg1 without problem.

My questions are 1) Have any of you used CLE 700 & 800, what do you think about it? 2) How did your kids do going into Alg 1 3) Should I switch him, just to make him learn from somthing different? What if he does better with something mastery based, or with a DVD or with a textbook. etc...

I know CLE and it would be easy to just continue with what we have done for the last 6 years (Wow! It has been that long!) But maybe a change would be good for us. I am not a mathy person, and really don't know much about the sequence that will be followed once he is in high school.

..We use LOF during the off months, I had thought about continuing with them as well.

Thanks!

• Like 2

We stayed with CLE 700 and 800 and our oldest transitioned very easily to Lial's Algebra I this year. She did so well that we've decided to stick with CLE for our middle dd who will finish 800 this year and do the same transition for her freshman year. If your kiddo does well with the CLE approach, IMO there is no reason to switch before Algebra.

• Like 4

Thank you! That is what I wanted to hear! I worried because I haven't heard from anybody who has used the newer sunrise editions, but only the older versions.

KellyMama- I have a question after reading your signature I noticed that we use a lot of the same things, but I have a couple of questions..:)

Do you like the 180 days Geography? That is where we are heading next.

How is the AiG sciences? I need to find our next level of sciences, and it is about as fun as picking Alg texts.

• Like 1

We used CLE from the beginning. CLE 700 was really, really good--my son did the Saxon test after completing it and tested directly into Saxon Algebra 1.  We used that last year in his 6th grade year (!) and he did great!!  CLE 700 went a lot deeper than 600 and I am glad we didn't skip it.

Saxon was good last year because it has a similar approach as CLE (although not nearly as sweet and friendly, lol).  But he could read the new material and do the new problems, then have his 30 mixed review problems.  Very usable as a "self-teaching" curriculum like CLE.

I'm trying to figure out what you were planning to do--sounds like going from 600 straight into Algebra; I think you could skip 800, but probably not 700? just IMO

b

We have done CLE math since the begining, and I have loved it! I feel like my kids have a great gasp of what they have learned. My DS, 11, will finish 600 in a few months. I had orginally planned on moving from CLE 600 to MUS Alg, Jacobs,  or Forester, based on the PreA straddlers thread, and a few other things I have read. Then I read a few threads, here and other places that say that 700 and 800 are really good PreA and there isn't a reason to leave them since they have updated them to Sunrise edition. Some said they squished the two into one year, and others just skipped one year. The other users are going into Foresters or another Alg1 without problem.

My questions are 1) Have any of you used CLE 700 & 800, what do you think about it? 2) How did your kids do going into Alg 1 3) Should I switch him, just to make him learn from somthing different? What if he does better with something mastery based, or with a DVD or with a textbook. etc...

I know CLE and it would be easy to just continue with what we have done for the last 6 years (Wow! It has been that long!) But maybe a change would be good for us. I am not a mathy person, and really don't know much about the sequence that will be followed once he is in high school.

..We use LOF during the off months, I had thought about continuing with them as well.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm not really sure what I am planning on doing, either.  :confused1: 

I have read that some people go from CLE 600 to MUS Alg 1, or TT Alg1. So that was an option I was pondering.

I have also read of people going from 600 to the first half of Jacobs, which I have heard is the pre Alg section of the book.

Then I have pondered going from 700 to Jacobs or Foersters. 

Yet some other families love both 700 and 800 and do them in one year and then jump to Alg 1 with something else.

Most of the information I have read was written before CLE finished the Sunrise editions of 700 and 800. So I'm not sure if I should really think that they are that valid concerning the content of those last two years.

I wish they were done through Geo I would just keep with CLE because I love it so much.

• Like 1

I didn't realize Sunrise 700 and 800 were that new???  We did 700 in 2013-2014.

There is a CLE FB group that has a lot of good postings about math, a lot of input.

b

I'm not really sure what I am planning on doing, either.  :confused1:

I have read that some people go from CLE 600 to MUS Alg 1, or TT Alg1. So that was an option I was pondering.

I have also read of people going from 600 to the first half of Jacobs, which I have heard is the pre Alg section of the book.

Then I have pondered going from 700 to Jacobs or Foersters. 

Yet some other families love both 700 and 800 and do them in one year and then jump to Alg 1 with something else.

Most of the information I have read was written before CLE finished the Sunrise editions of 700 and 800. So I'm not sure if I should really think that they are that valid concerning the content of those last two years.

I wish they were done through Geo I would just keep with CLE because I love it so much.

• Like 3

Have you seen this old thread?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/430576-if-youre-wondering-when-to-jump-from-cle-to-saxon-for-pre-algebra/

The OP finished 606 then moved to Saxon 87 for prealgebra.

I'm considering that for when we get there.

Thanks for the link. I thought I had read all the CLE math threads there were on here. :)  It was helpful, we only have two books left, so stopping now isn't going to happen.

I hate the idea of skipping the "consumer" math parts of CLE in 800. I wish it was just done quicker. Because reality is that the kids need to know how to do those things as well. I balance my checkbook and deal with interest, way more often then I use linear equations, or the formula for PI.

• Like 4

I'm really glad to hear from everybody about where you went and when. I do love the CLE foundations, and I'm glad to hear that there are kids doing well with it after they move on. Maybe by the time my little guy is old enough we can just use CLE through graduation.

• Like 1

A lot of people successfully accelerate CLE 700/800 and combine them into one year. If you do some math over the summer and skip the quizzes and lesson 17 of each light unit, plus sometimes combine two lessons into one (just do the new stuff from two lessons and one set of review problems from either the first or second lesson) it isn't hard to do. Look at a calendar and plot it out ahead of time.

Jist be flexible. If the student is grasping everything, then maybe cross out some or even half the review. If they struggle a bit, slow down and solidify the area they are struggling by using the additional material in the TM while still moving forward in the areas they have down solid.

• Like 1

I am so torn on this as well, and I need to order our math this weekend.  I was planning on moving to Saxon Algebra 1/2, but I did not like the looks of it at all.  I was able to view it this afternoon at our local homeschool convention, and I am back at square one.  I really want one year of pre-algebra. 

I am so torn on this as well, and I need to order our math this weekend.  I was planning on moving to Saxon Algebra 1/2, but I did not like the looks of it at all.  I was able to view it this afternoon at our local homeschool convention, and I am back at square one.  I really want one year of pre-algebra. 

What didn't you like about it?

A lot of people successfully accelerate CLE 700/800 and combine them into one year. If you do some math over the summer and skip the quizzes and lesson 17 of each light unit, plus sometimes combine two lessons into one (just do the new stuff from two lessons and one set of review problems from either the first or second lesson) it isn't hard to do. Look at a calendar and plot it out ahead of time.

Jist be flexible. If the student is grasping everything, then maybe cross out some or even half the review. If they struggle a bit, slow down and solidify the area they are struggling by using the additional material in the TM while still moving forward in the areas they have down solid.

This is what I'm leaning towards doing. I wish I would have been sure of it before now, I could have accelerated through the last part of 600 so he could move on. There are several pages of bar graph drawings and stuff he could have skipped. We only do the new stuff several times in each book because it is motivating for the kids some how. I also have a rule that if they make above a 90 on the quiz and test then they can skip every other problem, except the kinds of problems they missed on the test. That makes math go faster, and they are motivated to do actually learn how to do it well. We also don't do the #10 book, in each grade level, since it is all covered in the first book of the next level.

I think I will order the two sets and get it plotted out like you suggest so that I will have small goals set out for him to finish up at.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

KellyMama- I have a question after reading your signature I noticed that we use a lot of the same things, but I have a couple of questions..:)

Do you like the 180 days Geography? That is where we are heading next.

How is the AiG sciences? I need to find our next level of sciences, and it is about as fun as picking Alg texts.

Sorry MommaBea! I apparently need to check in more frequently lol We've like several aspects of 180 days - it's been excellent for honing skills like combining research from various sources. I also enjoy the way it approaches geography as more than just maps and locations but also includes information about cultures, customs and world religions. Good overview!

AiG has been our science for three years because it's what the kids like - enough detail to be interesting but concise/short lessons, some terms to define, a few worksheets, some experiments (not too many and you can definitely skip some) and easy for us to do consistently (essential!) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

DD completed CLE 700/800 before Algebra 1 in 9th grade and did very well. She made a 28 on the math section of the ACT after completing Algebra 2, and that was the top 9% of the nation. It was her lowest section score, but it still made her exempt from most core math requirements at her college. 

Ds has completed 600, and is anxious to move on to Algebra. I never would have thought it, but I'm actually trying a McGraw Hill course 3 math textbook I have here starting in January. If it goes well, he'll finish it this year and do Algebra 1 next year in 8th. He is bored, so I'm thinking a change in the type of textbook/workbook will help. If I see him struggling or losing ground, I'm going back to CLE. 

• Like 3

I didn't want two years of pre-A, so I'm going to Saxon Algebra 1/2 for 7th grade, after finishing CLE 600.  I'll let you know how that works!

I should pop back in here.  So far we're maybe 60 lessons into Algebra 1/2 (this isn't counting tests, so we're not total slackers!).  Rebecca is doing extremely well and feels very confident.  She loves Saxon and DIVE, and I've already bought Algebra 1 for next year!

We are using the My Father's World lesson plans, so she does  not do every problem in every lesson.  I have read a lot on both sides of this, but she has outstanding grades on tests, so we're going with the MFW plans as assigned.  At the slightest hint of trouble, I won't hesitate to change this.

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

Just as a follow up. We tried AOPS pre-A. But it caused lots of tears and struggling. So we tried Jacobs next. It was ok, but just not enough teaching for DS. So now we are using Saxon 7/8. My ds is taking a test then going over the chapters that he misses problems in, using it as a review instead of new material. This has been the best thing to show me what he really missed from CLE. He made 100s or high 90s on all the CLE test but doesn't understand lcd or subtracting fractions. So he is getting a great quick review. When he misses something we go over it from Saxon, Khan, and AOPS if needed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Here is yet another update. My son did well through the first half of Saxon 7/8 then started to struggle, so he had to do the whole lesson. It was miserable for both of us. He finished understanding his math but hated every minute of it. He is now doing Forresters Alg 1 with the DVD from Math w/o Boarders. He is doing amazing, the DVDs are exactly what he needed. He is really understanding and able to use what he is learning.

My 12yo daughter is in ch 4 of AOPS pre A, after CLE 600. She is doing great (minus terribly hard ch 3 that she survived through)

• Like 4

We used CLE through 600, then ended up compacting most of 700, and skipping 800. We tried a number of options to dip our toes into algebra including AOPS pre-algebra (very frustrating for DD - guess the discovery method's not a fit for her) and Derek Owens algebra, and ended up coming back to CLE. We're now spending the time to complete 800. The early introduction of algebra coupled with plenty of spiral repetition proved to be the best way for DD to finally fully retain the material.

We always loved CLE, and probably should have just stayed the course. I no longer skip problems -- we do them all. If that means she's a little bored, I've decided I'd rather she's slightly bored but can really do the computation as a brain-stem function and gets the concepts down. I also appreciate the consumer math in 800. The CLE approach strikes me as "old school" (not necessarily a bad thing) but highly effective.

We plan to stay the course with CLE through all of their Sunrise Editions (currently Algebra 1). Sure wish they went all the way through high school math!

• Like 2