Menu

Your 2015-2016 Spelling Curriculum/Curricula? multiple choice poll

IfIOnly

Spelling 2015-2016  

225 members have voted

1. 1. What are you using for spelling in 2015-2016? multiple choice poll

• **You must vote on each section of this poll-pick this option if your curriculum is in another section**
    • ACE Word Building PACEs
    • ACSI (Purposeful Design) Spelling
    • Advanced Spelling and Vocabulary
    • All About Spelling
    • The Alpha List
    • Apples and Pears Spelling
    • Apples Daily Spelling Drills
    • Barton
    • Building Spelling Skills (Christian Liberty Press)
    • Building Spelling Skills (Evan-Moor)
    • Calvert
    • CLE Language Arts
    • Core Skills Spelling
    • Daily Spelling Practice
    • Dictation without the use of a formal curriculum (Charlotte Mason)
    • Dictation Day by Day: A Modern Speller
    • Dictation Resource Book
    • Dr. Fry's Spelling Book
    • Essentials in Spelling
  2. 2. Continued: What are you using for spelling in 2015-2016? multiple choice poll

• **You must vote on each section of this poll-pick this option if your curriculum is in another section**
    • Glencoe Spelling
    • The Grammar of Spelling
    • Horizons
    • How to Teach Any Child To Spell
    • How to Teach Spelling
    • Learning to Spell Through Copywork
    • The Logic of English
    • Making Big Words
    • McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling
    • Mega-Words
    • My Catholic Speller
    • Natural Speller
    • Painless Spelling
    • Practice Makes Perfect
    • The Phonetic Zoo
    • Reading Lessons Through Literature
    • A Reason for Spelling
    • Sequential Spelling
    • Soaring with Spelling
  3. 3. Continued: What are you using for spelling in 2015-2016? multiple choice poll

• Sound Beginnings
    • Spectrum Spelling
    • Spelling You See
    • Spell to Write and Read
    • Spelling (BJU)
    • Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff)
    • Spelling Connections
    • Spelling Made Easy
    • Spelling Plus: 1000 Words Toward Spelling Success
    • Spelling Power
    • Spelling Success
    • Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry (A Beka)
    • Spelling Wisdom
    • Spelling Workout
    • Spellwell
    • The Writing Road to Reading
    • Webster's Speller
    • No Spelling This Year in Our Homeschool
    • Other - Please Comment

Please let me know what else should be added to the list and forthcoming poll. Thanks!

ETA: added spelling curricula marked with an asterisk

ETA: Poll is up! I couldn't fit several (4, I think) curricula in though, as the poll couldn't fit them all in. Thanks for voting! 

We aren't doing spelling at all*

ACE Word building PACEs

ACSI (Purposeful Design) Spelling

Advanced Spelling and Vocabulary (IEW) 

All About Spelling

The Alpha List

Apples and Pears Spelling*

Apples Daily Spelling Drills

Barton

Beyond Phonics Word Pattern Stories - This looks out of print?

Building Spelling Skills (CLP)

Building Spelling Skills (Evan-Moor)

Calvert  Online spelling and hard copy

CLE Language Arts

Core Skills Spelling

Daily Spelling Practice

Dictation without the use of formal curriculum* (free, Charlotte Mason)

Dictation Day by Day: A Modern Speller* (free online)

Dictation Resource Book*

Dr. Fry's Spelling Book

Essentials in Spelling*

Glencoe Spelling* (free online)

The Grammar of Spelling*

Horizons

How to Teach Any Child To Spell

How to Teach Spelling* (EPS)

Learning to Spell Through Copywork

The Logic of English

Making Big Words

McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling

Mega-Words

My Catholic Speller

Natural Speller

Painless Spelling

Practice Makes Perfect

The Phonetic Zoo (IEW)

Reading Lessons Through Literature*

A Reason for Spelling

Sequential Spelling

Soaring with Spelling

Sound Beginnings*

Spectrum Spelling*

Spell and Write (Evan-Moor)

Spell to Write and Read

Spelling (BJU)

Spelling by Sound and Structure (Rod and Staff)

Spelling City 

Spelling Connections

Spelling Made Easy

Spelling Plus: 1000 Words Toward Spelling Success

Spelling Power

Spelling Success (Sylvan)

Spelling, Vocabulary, and Poetry (A Beka)

Spelling Wisdom (SCM)

Spelling Workout (MCP)

The Spell of Words/Spellbound

Spellwell

Spelling You See

Steck-Vaughn Spelling: Linking Words to Meaning

Success in Spelling (Weaver/Alpha Omega)

Super Spelling Book One

Tricks of the Trade/How to Teach Any Child to Spell

The Writing Road to Reading* (Spalding)

Webster's Speller* (free online)

Other - Please comment :)

Not sure if you want to make your list any longer...LOL...but a vintage speller that I've seen people say they are using is Dictation Day by Day by Kate Van Wagenen (or The Modern Speller by the same author).   Some people also use the Dictation Resource Book by Susan C. Anthony as a standalone (same author as Spelling Plus: 1000 Words...).

• Like 2

Lol.  Are there really that many spelling programs out there?????  :lol:

I'm not sure that all are still in print though. The list is a compilation of Cathy Duffy's and Homeschool Review's lists. I should probably do a check to see what's in print when I have the time and before making the poll. 

We're using Spelling Workout. Same thing we've used for years now. Works for us!

ETA: my second dd is doing CLE language arts, which includes spelling. So, I decided to go with that for her. I forgot about that.

If you'd like, you can delete your vote and correct that. Either way, thanks for voting and commenting!

I said "Other."  We're not using a formal curriculum, but I'm kind of relying on word lists from k12reader.com...but mostly just to remind myself that DD#1 "should" be able to spell this sort of word, and addressing misspellings when they occur.  But if she is regularly having difficulty with a certain type of word, I may give her a list to work on for a bit until she masters them.  She's a fairly natural speller, so this works for us.

• Like 1

I voted for 4 including "other"...LOL. DS6 will continue with Logic of English Foundations. DS8 wanted to try something "different" this year and wanted a workbook, so we are going to try out Apples and Pears (even though I prefer O-G based programs, he did that K-2 so I am curious to see what happens). DD11 will continue to review words from Spelling Plus that she hasn't mastered yet (We analyze them LOE style, then practice), and for my "other" vote, I'll be making new spelling lists for DD based on the roots we are studying in from English From the Roots Up and another cheap old word roots book I picked up. :-)

• Like 1

If the poll was to check off every spelling curriculum you've tried, I could have picked something in every section. LOL We're trying SWR for the first time this year. I have middle schoolers, but I have another little one to use it with in a few years if it goes well. I've been going back and forth with whether I should make the effort to attend a seminar or not. 

• Like 1

If the poll was to check off every spelling curriculum you've tried, I could have picked something in every section. LOL We're trying SWR for the first time this year. I have middle schoolers, but I have another little one to use it with in a few years if it goes well. I've been going back and forth with whether I should make the effort to attend a seminar or not. 

Haha!  :lol:

I'm doing Essentials in Spelling with my boys, and studied dictation ala CM with the oldest 2, and copywork ala CM with the 3rd.  (So...the boys are getting double the spelling work, both CM style work and a remedial program.)

• Like 1

Spelling by Sound and Structure from Rod and Staff. Hands down. It's worked fabulously for my natural spellers and the ones who need explicit instruction. Easy to use for DC and me, efficient, teaches the rules, makes the DC work directly with the rules, world building, vocab, and more. No fluff. Independently operated by DC. TMs make grading and quizzes a cinch. Inexpensive to boot.

Once my DC finish the 6 book they're officially done with spelling. The 7 and 8 books are actually root-based vocab books even though they share the same title. They're also really well done! We just found separate vocab study to be redundant with high quality literature and Latin.

• Like 2

Spelling and I fought a battle last year. I surrendered. The terms of the truce were no more spelling this year. Maybe ds will have to return to do more at some point. He's a lousy speller, but he did improve a lot with All About Spelling. I just finally gave up. Every time he has to make a choice between different potential spellings, he chooses the wrong one. Cream is "creme" bead is "beed" church is "cherch" and so forth. It's just so tiring. At least AAS got him to where it's almost all like that, in other words, it almost all makes phonetic sense.

• Like 4

Apples & Pears for the boys, nothing for the girl.  My DD is a natural speller and I stopped doing formal spelling with her a couple years ago.  Sometimes if I notice a particular word in her work that she is having trouble with we will work on it.  The boys, OTOH, need a lot of help with spelling. 

• Like 2

We use All About Spelling and Spelling Workout. I'm only using Spelling Workout with oldest b/c she finished all of AAS and I felt anxious about not continuing with some other type of program. Bad spelling is a serious pet peeve of mine so I'm probably going to continue adding it in for a while. 

• Like 2

1. I'm surprised how many spelling programs there are.

2. I'm surprised how few people use Spelling Power. I love that it's all grades in one book, non-consumable, has built in review and most importantly... assessments! So you can actually see what grade level your child is at and how they are progressing. It seems like a very well thought out and efficient program.

We used to use AAS, planning on using Spelling Power for my DS in Grade 4 and Spelling Workout with my DD in Grade 1. The plan is for my DD to switch to Spelling Power when she is 8 and ready for daily spelling quizzes. I still have AAS level 1 and 2 to use if needed, but I find the retention with that program is not very high and doesn't include enough words.

• Like 3

With my dd's I'm switching from SWR to R&S Spelling by Sound & Structure.  My oldest doesn't like that she has to wait for me in order to do her spelling with SWR, so I'm going to give R&S a try.  With my youngest ds I'm going to try SWR, but if it doesn't pan out, then I'll likely go with RLTL.  I also have AAS for him, as I'm doing AAR Level 1 with him right now - so, who knows!