Menu

Remedial Handwriting help for 11th grade??

I would love some recommendations for my ds17. He is dyslexic but with intensive tutoring he reads quite well and his comprehension is outstanding! But, his handwriting still looks like that of a young child. He does want to be a doctor so maybe he'll be fine. LOL

Any recommendations for how to help him improve his handwriting? A book or workbook would be great so he could work independently, but that's not a deal breaker.

TIA

We went back to copywork for ds. He still doesn't have great handwriting. It's getting better. I also had him practice a cursive signature a lot as he's needed to use it a lot lately. 

One thing I did was start a notebook where I would write out something and have it copy it underneath. IOW, we found ways to incorporate the handwriting into what he was already doing. 

Donna Young also has a printable forms here. She also has animations of how to write each letter on the same page. 

Here is a copy of a post I made several years ago:

I switched to Getty Dubay Italic handwriting (Write Now) a few years ago - in my mid-40s. I found it very easy, no stress, & enjoyable to learn. After just a few weeks of practice my handwriting improved dramatically! I am not ashamed to handwrite a note anymore.

The cursive has only minimal changes to the print, it. The cursive is mostly learning how to do the joins to the print, so it is not releaning print and then going on to something entirely different

You can look at this chart to see how different some methods are between print and cursive, and another comparison of 5 handwriting programs  (new link: http://www.exodusbooks.com/Samples/CEP/compare.pdf)

ended up using the manuscript (print) examples for uppercase along with the cursive for lowercase. I don't have any frills in my handwriting & it is much more readable.

Here is a quote from Cathy Duffy Reviews"For those who prefer more efficient instruction within a single book rather than child-oriented worktexts, the authors have written Write Now. Although written for adult learners, children from about ages eight or nine should be able to learn from it, although they might need some adult assistance."

These 12 rules also helped me improve legibility.
12 Rules for Good Cursive Handwriting

(new link: http://thelearningcurvekids.blogspot.com/2010/01/12-rules-for-good-cursive-handwriting.html)

Kate Gladstone's Handwriting Repair site - lot's of good info and resources

You can also check out the tags with italicitalic cursivehandwriting, etc. for more help.

Best wishes 

My handwriting improved considerably with just the 12 Rules for Good Cursive Handwriting - might be a good place to start.

On the importance of handwriting for doctors, here is a quote from Time:

Doctors' sloppy handwriting kills more than 7,000 people annually. It's a shocking statistic, and, according to a July 2006 report from the National Academies of Science's Institute of Medicine (IOM), preventable medication mistakes also injure more than 1.5 million Americans annually.