Menu

Do you memorize the CC timeline Card date? How?

OrganicMom

I have been working on Classical conversations memory work at home with the kids. I'm curious though about how other or communities memorize the dates of the timeline. This is separate from the history sentences. 

I know that in the time line song they have the occasional "3,000 BC or 2,000 BC" but does anyone do anything with more detail? do memory masters? Any info on this would help me for my plan of what is doable, thanks! 

We do the CC timeline at home too.  (We are not part of any community.)  

We do not memorize the dates of the card.   We memorize the timeline to give us a general order as to when things happened in our mind.   That way we can make mental comparisons between what was going on in different parts of the world around the same time.   The various "3000 B.C." markers give us a general idea of the time that the things happened...but I personally don't think you need to memorize EVERY date on that timeline from the beginning of creation to modern day civilization.   Some dates, Yes, but not every single one. 

We have a wall timeline.  (The one made by Pandia Press.)  I made little stickers for each of our CC timeline pegs.   I also made some stickers for other places and events mentioned in SOTW.   Sometimes when we play the CC timeline song, I have the kids point to the timeline sticker as they sing....that way they can get a visual for other events and people that lived at the same time.   That has been helpful too so they can at least see when these things approximately happened.  They also get a visual of the person or event to help jog their memory of past readings.

We then memorize history sentences that correspond to the CC timeline and/or our SOTW readings.  I just take simple sentences from our books and put them to short little nursery-rhyme-songs (or anything catchy.)  I record them in garage band and import them into itunes.  They become part of our memory work playlist. 

I do this because I don't want them to just memorize the timeline song and have no idea what they are singing about.  I want them to know who the Hittites were (just for example).   SOME of our history sentences have dates in them.  (When I think it is important.)   However, many just give a general explanation of the event or person or people group.      It has REALLY helped with SOTW retention.  :)  

• Like 2

Love this! thank you guys! 

I was VERY hesitant to memorize the dates along with the timeline cards... it felt a little to much...but knew that if others found it beneficial we could find a way to see if it would work for us. 

This idea was sparked when i saw a page at the end of one of the cycles with all the dates before the timeline event or people. 

We do the CC timeline at home too. (We are not part of any community.)

We do not memorize the dates of the card. We memorize the timeline to give us a general order as to when things happened in our mind. That way we can make mental comparisons between what was going on in different parts of the world around the same time. The various "3000 B.C." markers give us a general idea of the time that the things happened...but I personally don't think you need to memorize EVERY date on that timeline from the beginning of creation to modern day civilization. Some dates, Yes, but not every single one.

We have a wall timeline. (The one made by Pandia Press.) I made little stickers for each of our CC timeline pegs. I also made some stickers for other places and events mentioned in SOTW. Sometimes when we play the CC timeline song, I have the kids point to the timeline sticker as they sing....that way they can get a visual for other events and people that lived at the same time. That has been helpful too so they can at least see when these things approximately happened. They also get a visual of the person or event to help jog their memory of past readings.

We then memorize history sentences that correspond to the CC timeline and/or our SOTW readings. I just take simple sentences from our books and put them to short little nursery-rhyme-songs (or anything catchy.) I record them in garage band and import them into itunes. They become part of our memory work playlist.

I do this because I don't want them to just memorize the timeline song and have no idea what they are singing about. I want them to know who the Hittites were (just for example). SOME of our history sentences have dates in them. (When I think it is important.) However, many just give a general explanation of the event or person or people group. It has REALLY helped with SOTW retention. :)

Would you be willing to share your line up and non-CC sentences? I know you cant share the cc ones, and I have those already but we use SOTW and I'd love those!