Menu

Bible In 90 Days

Slache

Original post (Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:17 AM):

Do you remember when we were supposed to read through the Bible in a year and we all failed? Well, at least I did. People stopped posting so I stopped the threads. Well now me and 3 other ladies are planning on reading through the Bible in 90 days. That's 13 chapters a day. I plan to start Monday July 20th. Anyone is welcome to join and there will only be one ongoing thread. I haven't picked a plan yet because I'm a spaz, but I don't think we all need to be on the same plan to join in. You have a week to decide. Or start now because that's a lot!

I'm making a plan to read the entire thing in 65 days. I want it to line up with my workout program which is actually 93 days (13 weeks) and I always fall behind on weekends. 13 weeks = 65 weekdays and I think I'm more likely to succeed that way.

• Like 1

Wow, go girls!!!!

I've taken 2 years, and still have a few books to go thru!!!

I think 2 years is probably the perfect amount of time to divide it properly. I'm recovering from about 3 months of injuries that have left me feeling fat depressed and lazy so I'm taking 3 months to reestablish some habits, being in the word, fitness, and healthy eating.
  • Like 4

Ok, I'm here too. I found a plan on my Bible app that says it was provided by Bible Gateway, created by Ted Cooper in 2002. I will be reading through the Protestant Bible, not the Catholic one, in case that makes a difference (I know there's more books in the Catholic one). Taking a look at it, Day 1 is reading through Genesis chaps. 1-16, day 2 ends at Gen. 28:19, etc. So, it appears it's just reading through the books in order. I know there are other plans out there that mix up OT, NT, and adding in Psalms daily.

I'm dreading Numbers! Leaving it to last......

How do you ladies manage thru it?

There is so much in the Pentateuch that people don't pick up on. I've studied the pictures of Christ and purposes for the sacrifices in Leviticus and now I absolutely adore Leviticus. A good Study Bible will teach you a lot. I love my Ryrie which is available in NAS and KJV. Oh, apparently it's in ESV now too. I do not like ESV. You could also listen to Numbers. Ryrie likes facts. He's the one that taught me that Isaac was offered up as a sacrifice in the same location as Jesus. I love this Bible. MacArthur is awesome for Old Testament stories too. I have his commentary.

I'll give it a try. How are you ladies going to accomplish this? I need specifics like will you read all at once or break it up throughout the day. When? Thanks.

I'm reading OT and NT Monday through Friday, Psalms and Proverbs on Weekends. I will not be taking notes or reading anything else at the time. I plan to get up before anyone else and read the NT in the mornings and read the OT during nap time. I'm scheduling 20 minutes for the NT and 60 for the old. I prefer to read the Bible by story rather than chapter so I broke it up myself. I've only done the OT so far, probably do the rest on Wednesday when Matt goes to work.

• Genesis 1:1-11:26 - Creation to the flood

• Genesis 11:27-25:11 Abraham

• Genesis 25:12-36:43 Children of Ishmael and Isaac

• Genesis 37-50 Joseph

• Exodus 1:1-12:36 Israel and Egypt

• Exodus 12:37-18:27 Israel’s journey to Sinai

• Exodus 19-31 Giving of the Law, Instructions for the tabernacle

• Exodus 32-40 Breaking the Law, Building of the tabernacle

• Leviticus 1-10 Sacrifices

• Leviticus 11-20 Sanctification part 1

• Leviticus 21-27 Sanctification part 2

• Numbers 1:1-10:10 Israel in Sinai

• Numbers 10:11-20:13 The journey to and living in Kadesh-Barnea

• Numbers 20:14-36:13 The journey to and living in Moab

• Deuteronomy 1:1-4:43 Review

• Deuteronomy 4:44-15:23 Commandments part 1

• Deuteronomy 16-26 Commandments part 2

• Deuteronomy 27-34 Promises and conclusion

• Joshua 1-12 Conquering Canaan

• Joshua 13-24 Dividing Canaan

• Judges 1:1-10:6 Background through Jair’s judgeship

• Judges 10:7-21:25 Jephthah's deliverance through the Benjamite war

• Ruth

• 1 Samuel 1-8 The last judge

• 1 Samuel 9-18 Saul and the rise of David

• 1 Samuel 19-31 The rejection and refuge of David

• 2 Samuel 1-12 David’s coronation through the death of his son

• 2 Samuel 13-24 Incest of Amon through the plague

• 1 Kings 1-11 The united kingdom

• 1 Kings 12-22 The divided kingdom

• 1 Chronicles 1-9 Genealogy from Adam to David

• 1 Chronicles 10-20 David’s anointing through the wars

• 1 Chronicles 21-30 The census through the death of David

• 2 Chronicles 1-9 The reign of Solomon

• 2 Chronicles 10-24 Rehoboam through Joash

• 2 Chronicles 25-36 Amaziah through the decree of Cyrus

• Ezra

• Nehemiah

• Ester

• Job 1-14 Disasters and the first speeches

• Job 15-26 Second and third speeches

• Job 27-37 The final speeches and Eliah’s speeches

• Job 38-42 God’s speeches and deliverance

• Ecclesiastes

• Song of Solomon

• Isaiah 1-12 The denunciation of Judah

• Isaiah 13-23 The denunciation of other nations

• Isaiah 24-39 Isaiah’s apocalypse, woes and blessings, the denunciation of Sennacherib

• Isaiah 40-48 The greatness of God

• Isaiah 49-57 Salvation of the servant

• Isaiah 58-66 The program for God’s peace

• Jeremiah 1-13 Judah’s sin part 1

• Jeremiah 14-25 Judah’s sin part 2

• Jeremiah 26-38 Reaction to Jeremiah’s ministry

• Jeremiah 39-51 The fall of Jerusalem, prophecies

• Lamentations

• Ezekiel 1-11 The call of Ezekiel, prophecies

• Ezekiel 12-24 The certainty and cause of judgement

• Ezekiel 25-32 Prophecies against foreign nations

• Ezekiel 33-48 prophecies regarding Israel’s restoration & the Millennial Kingdom

• Daniel

• Hosea

• Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah

• Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai

• Zechariah, Malachi
  • Like 5

I'm excited to start!  But eeeek! have no plans set.  Slache, I like your layout in post 16, but chronological is appealing too, since I've never attempted that.  

Hmph.  And should I switch from my trusty NIV?  (Doing so would require mining through the debris in my crawlspace to find my other translations, or buying a new one (which would be easier.)

Too late to make plans tonight, but I'll start mulling.  

I'll join!  I'll be doing a slightly modified schedule, as I'm already in the middle of reading through.  This will help me catch up!!

Our Sunday School teacher gave us the challenge of reading the entire book in the month of March.   :ohmy:

I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that, so I told him I would do the New Testament in March.  That went well.

Then I gave myself the challenge of reading the Old Testament by the first day of summer/Father's Day...extended to the end of June... extended to July 4th...

I'm still not quite finished, so this is just the boost I need!

I'm excited to start! But eeeek! have no plans set. Slache, I like your layout in post 16, but chronological is appealing too, since I've never attempted that.

Hmph. And should I switch from my trusty NIV? (Doing so would require mining through the debris in my crawlspace to find my other translations, or buying a new one (which would be easier.)

Too late to make plans tonight, but I'll start mulling.

I'm a KJV only girl because of the Greek texts the English versions are derived from. I've got a long story and very unpopular opinions about most modern translations. We'll chat about it sometime.

• Like 3

I'll join! I'll be doing a slightly modified schedule, as I'm already in the middle of reading through. This will help me catch up!!

Our Sunday School teacher gave us the challenge of reading the entire book in the month of March. :ohmy:

I knew that I wouldn't be able to do that, so I told him I would do the New Testament in March. That went well.

Then I gave myself the challenge of reading the Old Testament by the first day of summer/Father's Day...extended to the end of June... extended to July 4th...

I'm still not quite finished, so this is just the boost I need!

I could read the entire Bible in March no problem. All I'd have to do is neglect my children and not eat.

• Like 7

I'm dreading Numbers! Leaving it to last......

How do you ladies manage thru it?

Audio!!

I'm a KJV only girl because of the Greek texts the English versions are derived from. I've got a long story and very unpopular opinions about most modern translations. We'll chat about it sometime.

Would you pm me, please?

We've done this as a family, once in 90 days, and once in 180.  A couple of times a chapter or two at a time until we finish then start over.  Ninety days is a huge commitment but it is it an interesting perspective.  You get a much different overview than reading at a much slower pace.  While I won't be joining this time around I highly recommend it at least once.

• Like 2

We've done this as a family, once in 90 days, and once in 180. A couple of times a chapter or two at a time until we finish then start over. Ninety days is a huge commitment but it is it an interesting perspective. You get a much different overview than reading at a much slower pace. While I won't be joining this time around I highly recommend it at least once.

That's why I've chosen to do it chronologically this time. I think it will all fall into place better. I have lost a lot of my research but I will get a few of my thoughts together and PM you tomorrow.

I usually have 1-2 hours in the morning before dd wakes up. Any idea how long an average reader reads each day to do it in 90 days? I'd seriously consider it if I could do it in that amount of time.

You're supposed to schedule an hour and a half, but it takes most people less time.

For the Catholics on the boards we could just add one day to read the additional seven books! I think I would enjoy reading it chronologically too.

Unfortunately I have lost my favorite Bible. I've been looking for it all week. I'm looking in all the usual places and even contacted our Church to check the lost and found. No luck. Would anyone please pray that I find my Bible? TIA!

Elise in NC

• Like 1

For the Catholics on the boards we could just add one day to read the additional seven books! I think I would enjoy reading it chronologically too.

Unfortunately I have lost my favorite Bible. I've been looking for it all week. I'm looking in all the usual places and even contacted our Church to check the lost and found. No luck. Would anyone please pray that I find my Bible? TIA!

Elise in NC

I didn't know they were so short. I think I'll do that. I've never read them.

I think I'll probably attempt something along the lines of post 16 above, except I have a one track mind so I'll do NT after the OT is completed (not simultaneously).  

And while I wish I had all my study books at hand, most are currently buried in the crawlspace.  That may be for the best anyway... I can get sidetracked easily and spend forever on one paragraph, which of course is not.the.point. of this exercise.  So instead I will clip along at a decent pace, and keep a notebook on hand for recording:

• narrations on each passage
  • list of themes for cross-referencing
  • chunks worth adding to our memory work
  • questions/thoughts/other miscellaneous notes --- so I can research them another time if I want
  • and maybe a chapter outline at the end of each book, with "pegs" worth memorizing.  I've been through the  Bible many times already (seminary) but there are still many sections I wish I was more adept at navigating.  Does that make sense?  I hate it, for example, when I know a passage I want to refer to, but have to spend 15 minutes finding it.  

I'll aim to do it all in 90 days total, including Saturdays and Sundays so that I don't fall out of the routine, but we'll see about weekends.... if our schedule interruptions on weekends doesn't allow for it, the sky won't fall down on me, I know.  "90-ish" is just fine with me.   :coolgleamA:

ETA:  My notebook and Bible will NOT be digital.  Otherwise I'll be too tempted to waste time on the forums instead.   :lol:

I think I'll probably attempt something along the lines of post 16 above, except I have a one track mind so I'll do NT after the OT is completed (not simultaneously).

And while I wish I had all my study books at hand, most are currently buried in the crawlspace. That may be for the best anyway... I can get sidetracked easily and spend forever on one paragraph, which of course is not.the.point. of this exercise. So instead I will clip along at a decent pace, and keep a notebook on hand for recording:

• narrations on each passage
  • list of themes for cross-referencing
  • chunks worth adding to our memory work
  • questions/thoughts/other miscellaneous notes --- so I can research them another time if I want
  • and maybe a chapter outline at the end of each book, with "pegs" worth memorizing. I've been through the Bible many times already (seminary) but there are still many sections I wish I was more adept at navigating. Does that make sense? I hate it, for example, when I know a passage I want to refer to, but have to spend 15 minutes finding it.

I'll aim to do it all in 90 days total, including Saturdays and Sundays so that I don't fall out of the routine, but we'll see about weekends.... if our schedule interruptions on weekends doesn't allow for it, the sky won't fall down on me, I know. "90-ish" is just fine with me. :coolgleamA:

ETA: My notebook and Bible will NOT be digital. Otherwise I'll be too tempted to waste time on the forums instead. :lol:

That's a lot of work. May I suggest you keep the option open to drop the extras if you get to bogged down? I don't want you to drop out if it's too much. :)

• Like 2

That's a lot of work. May I suggest you keep the option open to drop the extras if you get to bogged down? I don't want you to drop out if it's too much. :)

You're right.  I'm always so much more optimistic after sleeping in on a Saturday!

I probably will still keep a notebook beside me, but write only when inspired.  (And at 5am, writing can keep me nodding off to sleep in the middle of a sentence.)  

Would love to eavesdrop!   :001_smile:

Me too! Me too!

I've done the Bible in 90 days before, with the actual Bible set up for that.  NIV.  Now I'm doing The Message in 1 year.  I've done NLT chronological and KJV 1 year.  I like reading different translations and am always interested in comparisons.

Me too! Me too!

I've done the Bible in 90 days before, with the actual Bible set up for that. NIV. Now I'm doing The Message in 1 year. I've done NLT chronological and KJV 1 year. I like reading different translations and am always interested in comparisons.

Yes, I have the NIV that is specifically set up to read in 90 days. I will probably use that.

• Like 1