Menu

Algebra 1 or AoPS PreAlgebra after Teaching Textbooks PreAlgebra?

Ds 13 is halfway through Teaching Textbooks Pre Algebra and will be finished by October.  He will technically be in 8th grade in the Fall.  He can slide right into an Algebra I text at home, or he can take a Pre Algebra class that is using Art of Problem Solving.  I am not sure which route to go.  

The AoPS class would give him a sound foundation for Algebra I in 9th, but then he would not have time to take Calculus before he graduates.  If he takes Algebra I in 8th, he could take Calc senior year, but may not have as firm a grasp on Algebra poor to Geometry.  He will be going to a brick and mortar high school in 9th.

What would you do?

TT and AoPS cater to very different types of students.  It would be important to consider first whether AoPS is suitable for your student.

If you think AoPS is suitable (there are many threads discussing AoPS fit), next take a look at the pre-tests for the texts on the AoPS website.  Without knowing more, I would assume that AoPS Prealgebra would be a better bet than Intro to Algebra for a student coming from TT Prealgebra.

AoPS Prealgebra is very similar to the first half of many algebra programs - it doesn't cover all of algebra 1 nor does it go as deep. It does also cover geometry, statistics, counting and probability and number theory.

I like the choice of AoPS Prealgebra.

IF you are in a rush to get to calculus, geometry and algebra 2 can be taken at the same time. I do not feel like everyone should rush to get to calculus however.