Menu

Dramamine Less-Drowsy formula? Dramamine for Kids? Other options?

ILiveInFlipFlops

My one and only experience with Dramamine was that it knocked me out for hours and hours. Somehow DH and I managed to get from my apartment to the airport, onto our plane, off our plane and to another plane, and then off the plane in Puerto Rico. We barely remember any of it. We woke up after touching down in Puerto Rico amazed to find ourselves at our destination. So I'm a little wary of doing that again! 

We have a cruise coming soon, and I want to be prepared with motion sickness meds, because I just have no idea what to expect. DH and oldest DD will probably be fine, but youngest (almost 10) and I are question marks. I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with what seasickness solutions have worked for them. I have one family member who swears by Bonine and had to take it through most of her adolescence because she got sick in any moving vehicle. And I'll buy Sea-Bands too, but I'm a bit of a skeptic and I don't want to plan to rely on those alone (though it would be great if we could avoid meds altogether!).

Also, how long do you wait to see if you're going to get sick? I know the meds work best if you take them before you even need them, but should we wait to try to see if we'll end up being fine and not needing anything after all? 

Thanks so much!

The less drowsy one still makes me tired -- but not until hours later.

I've found that taking 1/2 or 1/4 the dose still works but I don't get as tired.

I don't wait to take it when I fly because I already know I'm going to get sick on planes.

On boats, I mostly have trouble if I'm below deck.

• Like 1

I know everyone is different, but I am the queen of motion sickness and the cruises I've taken have been no problem.  The ships are so huge and have such good stabilizers that in calm water you can barely tell they're moving unless you're watching the shore and in rough seas (we did a transatlantic one year) it's more dramatic but not the kind of rocking and rolling that induces motion sickness for me.  I think on the worst day I had mild, annoying headache.

I've never taken Dramamine on a cruise, but I've had it packed away in case I needed it.  It makes me super sleepy so I wouldn't have taken it preemptively.  Also, the good thing about the ship is that if you start feeling bad you can just go lie down on the bed in complete darkness.

I used to take Dramamine & non-drowsy Dramamine all the time on ships.

Last year (Alaska cruise), my dr. suggested sticking with 1/2 of a pill of the generic form of Bonine. It worked! Taking that did not make me sleepy, nor did I take it all the time. I did take it for days on the ship & would take it at night, but would usually not take it in the morning if we were going to be heading off the ship anyway.

Part of it probably depends on the ship & some depends on where you are sailing/how rough the water is.

I did have a pack of the rx patches as back-up, but didn't use them. I had used them many, many years ago & they did work. Except, they made me temporarily blind! From what I later learned, it was possibly because I touched the patch, then rubbed my eyes. But still! I was in no hurry to use them again unless I was absolutely desperate.

Part of what plays into my sickness too is smells. So, the smell of oil/gas along with sea water is a trigger for me. It helps to be out in fresh air, mostly. I notice that type of thing more when the ship or boat is docked oe when I'm in some inside areas.

My youngest daughter gets really motion sick.  Just driving in the car for 10 minutes on the interstate makes her feel sick.  However, she does really well on cruise ships.  She is fine (and does not require any medication) unless the the sea is really rough.  

As for medication, she does really well with Bonine.  She is 12 years old and weighs 70 lbs.  One adult tablet of Bonine keeps her from feeling sick in the car, small boat, etc. and she has never felt drowsy with it.  There is a child version of Bonine too.

• Like 1

There is a med you put on your wrist that works well here.  We prefer that to the Dramamine.  It is prescription only and is a compound so I don't know how easy it is to transport on a plane but it works really really well.  Your doctor should know what it is.  It is in gel form once mixed.

Dramamine for kids (chewable) is Dimenhydrinate 25mg

Dramamine Original formula is Dimenhydrinate 50mg

Dramamine Chewable (not the kids one) is Dimenhydrinate 50mg

Dramamine Less Droswy is Meclizine 25mg

Bonine Meclizine 25mg

Dramamine Naturals is 1000mg Ginger

This is how it breaks down:  

The first 3 are all Dimenhydrinate but the childrens strength is one-half the strength of the adult strength.

The next two are identical and are Meclizine

The last item is a natural product that uses ginger.

Honestly, I would just buy some generic Meclizine or one of the brand names mentioned if you prefer brand name.  What ever form or brand you can find for the cheapest.  Some pharmacies even carry it behind the counter to be sold OTC in a larger bottle for less money (due to no advertising costs).  Meclizine is also the prescription medication Antivert.  In the pharmacy we sell both a 25mg tablet and a 50mg tablet so make sure you know which one you are getting ahead of time, since you don't know how sensitive you are to the med as far as being sleepy (you won't know if it works for you nausea until you try it IRL). I would take a couple of doses on a day when you don't have much to do (ie no driving), just to try it out.  That way you can see if you have a medication that works for you or not.  If the full strength is too much then take a half tablet on another day. 

If even a half dose is too much, then you can talk to your doctor about Scopalamine Patches/Transderm Scop. My husband and daughter use this every year on their sailing trip.  They don't even bother with pills any more.  They are a patch you put on and change out every 3 days.  Some insurances cover them but if they are not covered they are a bit expensive.  Most doctors will just call a prescription into the pharmacy for you if you call their office. If you leave a message for the doctor they will need to know how many you need.  1 patch for each 3 days you are on the water, and then add 3 extra patches over what you will need .  You will need one prescription for each person.  One extra patch to do a dry run with ahead of time, to see how you react to the med.  And one more because you will want to put the patch on the day before you plan to be on water. Add the last one just in case something happens and you need an extra.    Putting the first patch on a day ahead of time, will give it some time to get into your blood stream and start working before you need it.  It is a small quarter size band-aide that goes behind your ear.  Super easy to use, you don't have to remember to constantly take pills and gives you a more consistent feeling of being well (than the ebb you can feel if you miss pills). 

• Like 2

There is a med you put on your wrist that works well here.  We prefer that to the Dramamine.  It is prescription only and is a compound so I don't know how easy it is to transport on a plane but it works really really well.  Your doctor should know what it is.  It is in gel form once mixed.

Are you in the USA?  I have never heard of this medicine here.

I am prone to motion sickness.  I was a serious SCUBA diver, but mommy duties have put a hold on my hobby.  When I was diving I LOVED Bonine.  It made an enormous difference on many dive holidays.  

Now, I am occasionally on boats/ferries, and Bonine isn't sold here; I'm stuck with Dramamine.  For me, the trick with Dramamine is moderate eating beforehand (i.e., small, non-greasy meals that day) and to take the pill about an hour before departure.  I have found that if I don't do these two things, the next four+ hours (on/off sea) tend to be unpleasant.      

Like Stacia, smells are a trigger for me.  I haven't any luck with sea bands.       

The less drowsy dramamine lasts 24 hrs, so I always take it at night before bed. I sleep off the drowsy part and am fine the next day. I get very bad motion sickness and take 2 less drowsy each night I'll need it and it works great!

Bonine, it doesn't have the side effects that dramamine does.

Bonine and Dramamine 2 (less drowsy) are the same thing. Bonine is usually cheaper. But, your Dr. might prescribe dramamine 2 (meclizine) for you. I think I got a bottle of 60 for under $5.