Menu

AT Thru Hike

We backpacked some in college 20 years ago and I really enjoyed it, some of it on the AT.  I have never been for more than about 4 days.  I have been pretty overweight for a long time now and am working on loosing it (28 lbs so far since Feb.)  I want to be able to backpack and do lots of other things with my dd, so I have been pretty motivated.  I have gone through spell where I get into bike riding anywhere from 4-13 miles a day.  I need to loose more weight before I get into walking long distances due to trouble with my knee.  I am hoping that taking the weight off will improve that.  I hope you have a great time and I will be following your journal.

• Like 3

I've followed this and have thought in the past how much I would love to do this one day when the kids are older. However as someone with chronic lyme (under control now, just occasional flare ups), I don't know if I could get past worrying about the ticks. Seeing you mention you have had lyme makes me more curious, what are your plans for that?

And it all sounds great BTW, enjoy!!!!

These are my two biggest concerns - not being able to find enough GF foods in trail towns and ticks.  Just this summer alone I have had three tick bites (and am still sporting the red areas); ticks just like me.  :(

My Lyme isn't chronic; at least I don't think it is.  After I had the initial symptoms and treatment (lots of Doxy), I have been symptom free.  It's been a few years now and none of the Lyme symptoms have been repeated.  I was given a prophylactic round of Doxy after one of the tick bites this summer, just in case.  That baby was imbedded and didn't want to let go and the area was red and inflamed.  Due to my propensity for tick finding , my family practitioner will be prescribing Doxy for the trail.  I will take it with me, along with lots of bug spray.  I plan on treating some of my clothes with permethrin.

In the past, I would have used these concerns as reasons not to try.  I have a history of thinking about the worst case scenarios and using those thoughts as justification for inaction.  No more.  I have too many regrets and I refuse to continue to live that way.

As long as my body is okay it will do what my heart, spirit, and determination are willing to take on.

• Like 10

This is so exciting!

I hiked Mount Katahdin years ago.  It was beautiful and challenging.  It's a fitting end to that long effort.  Lots of AT hikers were on the third peak, yelling, because they had finally finished.

I'm not that far from the PCT, and planning to trail angel for a friend of ours who started that hike from north to south in June.  Very psyched for him!  And for you!

• Like 5

I know everyone is paranoid about Lyme, but I think the risk is minimal. 

I live in CT, and have had Lyme from a tick bite. Every tick bite I have had, and my children have had, has come from hanging about the yard or from off the dogs. I have backpacked in NH every summer for  more than two decades and never had a tick bite while hiking. I hiked the entire Long Trail in Vermont last summer and did not have a single tick bite. Backpacking just does not seem to be where the tick bites come from.

Carrying the Doxy is a great idea since you have already had Lyme, just in case, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

• Like 2

Cool! My husband thru-hiked the AT between college and seminary. He only had 100 days to hike so he got from GA through Vermont straight through but then ran out of time. He's still hoping to finish VT, NH, and ME someday when we get the chance. One of the thru-hikers from his year wrote a book "Remember the Carrot" which is pretty good and talks about some of the typical people on the trail. 

Definitely figure out what filling foods you can manage to pack! My DH lost a lot of weight on the trail, it was just crazy how much all that walking with a pack will drop the weight and at a point you really can struggle to eat enough calories! 

• Like 1

I have been reading a rather large family's journal that through hiked the AT.  They talk about staying in hotels and eating out fairly frequently.  I am curious as to how much the average through hiker does that and what are your plans for that?

I don't know about the average hiker but everything I have read suggests to plan for one town night a week.  I am planning on one hotel night every 10 days or so.  I have to keep my expenses down and hotels and town food are budget drainers.  I am going to allow for a few emergency town days (bad weather, injury, illness) but will try to refrain from going into towns as much as possible.  My goal is to have as many trail angels as I possibly can find.  I am looking for people who live near the AT who would be willing to come pick me up and take me to their home for a shower, a hot meal, and a warm bed (use of the washer and dryer will fall in there too).  At this moment, I have 4 definite yeses from some of my college alumni and a good friend.  I also have three other possibles. 

The AT planning guide says to expect to spend $750-1000 per month for town expenses, including movies, bar nights, etc.  My budget won't allow for that much off trail fun.  Unless someone gifts me with a large sum  of money between now and March (pm me for my Paypal account  ;) ) my budget will be between $500-650 a month.  I don't drink alcohol so bar nights are something I won't contend with. From what I have read, the increasing popularity of thru-hikes is changing the areas around the trail.  More and more people are opening bed and breakfasts, hostels, etc that are within a few miles of the trail.  It's making it easier to find places to go for resupply and relaxation.

It's really all quite subjective.  One saying for the trail is "Hike your own hike."  It simply means that whatever a person chooses to do is up to that person.  Nothing is the best way; nothing is the wrong way.

I hope that answers your question.

• Like 2

I went on a short prep hike with my cousin last week.  We met in Missouri and planned on backpacking the Ozark Trail for three days and two nights.  We should have known we were in for trouble when the trail registers at the trail heads were blank.  We were stubborn, though, and attempted the hike.  We managed 5 miles on Day 1 before the overgrown trails defeated us. At first I thought the plant life was beautiful.  There are some wildflowers that grow there that I have never seen.  I did recognize poison ivy and did my best to avoid it.  However, about a mile in the ivy covered everything - the trail, the trees, the rocks.    We pushed forward because our trail guide indicated there were clearings about a mile ahead and we figured we would get out of the dense undergrowth of the forest.  Um, nope.  Two miles in and the ivy was thicker with huge - plate sized - leaves.  Our options were to turn back or continue forward to a farm road; each was about the same distance to safety.  We chose to push forward - avoiding any contact with all plants - and soon came upon the road and followed that back to the highway and the trailhead.  A quick trip to a local Walmart (there is always a Walmart) for some IvyRest and TecNu and a night in a hotel with lots of washing in an attempt to thwart the poisonous oils ensued.  We drove 30 miles north on Day 2 and met with the same problem - overgrown trails that were impassable. This time we turned around at the first sight of trouble.  We ended up staying at a campground and playing in the natural springs.

I sit here tonight in my wonderful home with a terrible case of poison ivy and either poison sumac or poison oak; I have two different types of rashes in two different areas of my body.  I am covered in calamine lotion and taking Benedryl to help alleviate the itching.

I wore capris and a long sleeved, wicking, permethrin treated jacket on Day 1 and a hiking skirt, t-shirt, and the jacket on Day 2. I used trekking poles to push away the plant growth but it was to no avail.  I checked the OT website again, just to verify I wasn't losing my sanity, and it says the trails have been recently maintained and are in good condition.  Maybe those Missouri folk are made of tougher stuff than I but there is no way I would consider those trails to be maintained.

This does not sway me from hiking or backpacking.  If anything, I am going to redouble my efforts in learning how to identify poisonous plants.  This is my time to learn, grow, find myself.  I'll just be more careful on my next prep hike.

Yeye atafutaye amani ~ She Who Seeks Peace

Edited:  I just read my cousin's blog about our adventure.  We haven't spoken since leaving MO so we haven't compared notes yet.  His account is very similar to mine but with much more detail and pictures.

• Like 4

I went on a short prep hike with my cousin last week.  We met in Missouri and planned on backpacking the Ozark Trail for three days and two nights.  We should have known we were in for trouble when the trail registers at the trail heads were blank.  We were stubborn, though, and attempted the hike.  We managed 5 miles on Day 1 before the overgrown trails defeated us. At first I thought the plant life was beautiful.  There are some wildflowers that grow there that I have never seen.  I did recognize poison ivy and did my best to avoid it.  However, about a mile in the ivy covered everything - the trail, the trees, the rocks.    We pushed forward because our trail guide indicated there were clearings about a mile ahead and we figured we would get out of the dense undergrowth of the forest.  Um, nope.  Two miles in and the ivy was thicker with huge - plate sized - leaves.  Our options were to turn back or continue forward to a farm road; each was about the same distance to safety.  We chose to push forward - avoiding any contact with all plants - and soon came upon the road and followed that back to the highway and the trailhead.  A quick trip to a local Walmart (there is always a Walmart) for some IvyRest and TecNu and a night in a hotel with lots of washing in an attempt to thwart the poisonous oils ensued.  We drove 30 miles north on Day 2 and met with the same problem - overgrown trails that were impassable. This time we turned around at the first sight of trouble.  We ended up staying at a campground and playing in the natural springs.

I sit here tonight in my wonderful home with a terrible case of poison ivy and either poison sumac or poison oak; I have two different types of rashes in two different areas of my body.  I am covered in calamine lotion and taking Benedryl to help alleviate the itching....  Maybe those Missouri folk are made of tougher stuff than I but there is no way I would consider those trails to be maintained.

Arrgh, sorry about the poison ivy.

Curious: which section of the Ozark Trail did you do? Some are fairly well maintained, but many sections aren't really scenic or worth the hike because there is nothing to see besides Missouri woods and overgrowth.

We generally end hiking season in May because of ticks and poison Ivy (and weather), and resume when vegetation starts dying down in October because summer hiking in MO really is not much fun.

ETA: You can't have contracted poison sumach because it does not grow in Missouri. Poison oak is extremely rare here, too. ( Poison ivy is abundant in all shapes and sizes.)

I am not convinced that the picture "poison oak" on your cousin's blog post is really poison oak. It is more likely Fragrant Sumach (Rhus Aromatica)

• Like 1

Arrgh, sorry about the poison ivy.

Curious: which section of the Ozark Trail did you do? Some are fairly well maintained, but many sections aren't really scenic or worth the hike because there is nothing to see besides Missouri woods and overgrowth.

We generally end hiking season in May because of ticks and poison Ivy (and weather), and resume when vegetation starts dying down in October because summer hiking in MO really is not much fun.

ETA: You can't have contracted poison sumach because it does not grow in Missouri. Poison oak is extremely rare here, too. ( Poison ivy is abundant in all shapes and sizes.)

I am not convinced that the picture "poison oak" on your cousin's blog post is really poison oak. It is more likely Fragrant Sumach (Rhus Aromatica)

We were on the North Fork Section with the trailhead in Pomona.  Bad choice obviously. If I decide to attempt the OT in the future, I will do so in the late winter-early spring.  :)

Thanks for the info about the oak and sumac.  I did some checking on my own last night and saw that sumac is practically non-existent in MO.  I have a better chance of seeing it here in IL.  I just never come across it.  Maybe it's in the more southern counties.

I will check out the differences between poison oak and Fragrant Sumac.  Wow - they look similar but I do see the difference.  I believe you are correct, the plant in the pic does resemble fragrant sumac.  Thanks again for the info.

This just goes to show how important the planning stage is.

• 5 weeks later...

During a quick trip to drop off DS at his college, I was able to hit the AT for a brief hike.  Oh my gosh, it was a difficult task pulling myself away from the trail specifically and the Blue Ridge Mountains in general.  What a lovely, lovely area.  Those of you who live in that region are lucky indeed.

While on the trail - which occurred at dusk - I happened upon a black bear searching for food.  It was close; maybe 75 feet (I'm a terrible judge of distance)  I stood there for a full 3 minutes watching it do its thing and enjoying its bearness.  The winds were just right because it gave no indication that it knew I was there. I was in awe of its size and beauty and forgot I had my camera with me.  When I moved to turn on the camera, it made its typical beep and the telephoto lens opened.  Those noises alerted the bear, it looked at me and ran off down the mountain.  

What a glorious experience.  My current hope is that the Robert Redford movie has less of an impact than anticipated on the number of people on the trail next year and that I will have a chance to see another bear in the woods.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an exciting few days.  My new trekking poles, bear bag, and cook pot have arrived.  My hiker ID bracelet (which fits on to my Fitbit band is in the mail and due to arrive tomorrow.  I am beginning to buy gluten free foods for my mail drops.  My biggest concerns still center around finding enough GF foods for reasonable prices along the trail.  The mark ups in small town markets will bust my budget.

My friend made me an inspirational keychain that reads "Your mountain awaits.  AT 2016" .  

Each passing day brings me one day closer to launch! 

• Like 4

We saw A Walk in the Woods this weekend and I thought about you. I really don't think it's going to inspire a lot of people to try to walk the whole AT but it probably will bring out a lot more day hikers or short term hikers.  I hope you have a great adventure!!!!

I agree.  It was funny but not awe inspiring.

Thanks for well wishes.

Ever since you posted your journal I have spent a fair amount of time reading several other journals too.  I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it.  I wish you the best on your hike an hope you make it all the way.  I would love to hike portions of it again, but have no desire to hike the whole thing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The hike is still on. 

I've been researching some new gear to replace some older, heavier items.  The biggest issue is my sleep system.  My current winter bag, pad, and fleece add up to 10 pounds.  It's crazy heavy and increases my base weight to ridiculous amounts.  I sleep cold, though, and know that I have to have a warm, comfortable sleep system if I am to be successful.  I am looking at the Big Agnes or NEMO bags or a quilt from Enlightened Equipment.  No matter which I choose it will set me back about $250-300 dollars.  My trip resources are precious and I am struggling with the need for a lighter bag and having that money for town days and re-supply while on the trail.

I am contemplating whether or not I should just carry the heavier gear for the first two months and then switch out for my  lighter, summer gear for the warmer months or invest in a lighter, down bag/quilt and use it for the entire trip.

I am also looking at clothes and trying to find durable items that will fit my clothing budget.  I have about 75% of my clothes and am looking for lightweight non-cotton undergarments.

I have a great cooking system and have been working on creating easy gluten free backpacking meals.  If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Amani (peace)

• Like 1

The hike is still on.

I've been researching some new gear to replace some older, heavier items. The biggest issue is my sleep system. My current winter bag, pad, and fleece add up to 10 pounds. It's crazy heavy and increases my base weight to ridiculous amounts. I sleep cold, though, and know that I have to have a warm, comfortable sleep system if I am to be successful. I am looking at the Big Agnes or NEMO bags or a quilt from Enlightened Equipment. No matter which I choose it will set me back about $250-300 dollars. My trip resources are precious and I am struggling with the need for a lighter bag and having that money for town days and re-supply while on the trail.

I am contemplating whether or not I should just carry the heavier gear for the first two months and then switch out for my lighter, summer gear for the warmer months or invest in a lighter, down bag/quilt and use it for the entire trip.

I am also looking at clothes and trying to find durable items that will fit my clothing budget. I have about 75% of my clothes and am looking for lightweight non-cotton undergarments.

I have a great cooking system and have been working on creating easy gluten free backpacking meals. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate the help.

Amani (peace)

Thanks for the update! I'm enjoying reading your journal. I am mentally taking notes, as my son and I are tentatively thinking about doing a relatively easy through hike: the Oregon Coast Trail. I want to start easy before I move on to anything bigger. I so wish I lived near you, as I would love to be a trail angel and bring you lots of yummy gf food. (I have celiac and eat gf.) I think it is so awesome that you are doing this!

These are my two biggest concerns - not being able to find enough GF foods in trail towns and ticks. Just this summer alone I have had three tick bites (and am still sporting the red areas); ticks just like me. :(

My Lyme isn't chronic; at least I don't think it is. After I had the initial symptoms and treatment (lots of Doxy), I have been symptom free. It's been a few years now and none of the Lyme symptoms have been repeated. I was given a prophylactic round of Doxy after one of the tick bites this summer, just in case. That baby was imbedded and didn't want to let go and the area was red and inflamed. Due to my propensity for tick finding , my family practitioner will be prescribing Doxy for the trail. I will take it with me, along with lots of bug spray. I plan on treating some of my clothes with permethrin.

In the past, I would have used these concerns as reasons not to try. I have a history of thinking about the worst case scenarios and using those thoughts as justification for inaction. No more. I have too many regrets and I refuse to continue to live that way.

As long as my body is okay it will do what my heart, spirit, and determination are willing to take on.

I wanna come! But I must confess, I'm far from conditioned for it. You will have to let us live vicariously through your adventure!

As for ticks, I hate hate hate them but feel fine with most of the precautions I take. However, I would love some insight on good ways for keeping them out of my hair/off of my head. Do you (any of you) have a plan for this?

• 5 weeks later...

There has been an update for my hike.  I have to postpone my start date by a couple of months.  My DS was accepted to a short term study abroad program and has asked for some help with the travel expenses.  I had to chose between offering him assistance and postponing my start date or saying no to him and sticking with my plan.  I chose to help him out, work this semester and leave as soon as my spring grades are submitted.

I think this plan will work out for both us.  It's a wonderful compromise.

I will continue to dehydrate meals and work on fitness.  I just don't have to worry about sleeping in snow and ice when I begin!

• Like 7

I've liked the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT) on Facebook and recently there was a debate about the average cost of a thru hike.  It was estimated about $5000 at least.  !!!  I assume that includes gear, but maybe not for a beginner with NO gear.  lol

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing, what your budget is for your hike?  If I missed it earlier in the thread, sorry.  I know the PCT is just a bit longer in total and the hikes have significant differences.  How long is your planned hike in miles?

There has been an update for my hike. I have to postpone my start date by a couple of months. My DS was accepted to a short term study abroad program and has asked for some help with the travel expenses. I had to chose between offering him assistance and postponing my start date or saying no to him and sticking with my plan. I chose to help him out, work this semester and leave as soon as my spring grades are submitted.

I think this plan will work out for both us. It's a wonderful compromise.

I will continue to dehydrate meals and work on fitness. I just don't have to worry about sleeping in snow and ice when I begin!

Aww! You're a great mom!

:grouphug:

• Like 2

I think the best thing is to just focus on being in the best shape you can. The weight will come off it needs to come off, just train and be healthy. And work on protecting your joints, if you can. I'm not sure what that entails but I've an aunt who had knee issues 6 weeks into her thru hike, and had to stop. So whatever you can do to strengthen those joints might be good! So excited for you!

OP, I agree with the above and can recommend the book "Strength Training for Runners".  It has 2, 20minute workouts per week that focus on core strength, stability, and joint strength/mobility.  They are good workouts, but not so strenuous as to stop you from doing another kind of workout that day.

• Like 1

Hope he has a great adventure! Will your later start date still allow you time to finish the through hike? You're starting at Springer Mountain, right? 

I'm not sure I will be able to finish if I attempt the typical NOBO, Springer to Katahdin.  I am thinking about a flip-flop.  I would begin at Harper's Ferry and hike to Katahdin, return to Harper's Ferry and then hike to Springer.  It's a non-traditional hike but it would still be an awesome experience.

• Like 1

I've liked the Pacific Coast Trail (PCT) on Facebook and recently there was a debate about the average cost of a thru hike.  It was estimated about $5000 at least.  !!!  I assume that includes gear, but maybe not for a beginner with NO gear.  lol

I'm curious, if you don't mind sharing, what your budget is for your hike?  If I missed it earlier in the thread, sorry.  I know the PCT is just a bit longer in total and the hikes have significant differences.  How long is your planned hike in miles?

My budget for the AT (2189 miles) is $3000 but I already have a lot of gear from my years as an adult scouter.  The money is used for resupply (food, toiletries, etc), hotel rooms, showers, gear replacement, shipping fees, camp fees, park fees, and on and on.  If I wanted to replace gear (go lighter to save wear and tear on my body), I would need about another $2000.

I have budgeted one hotel/hostel stay every 7 days to shower, wash clothes and equipment, recharge phone, and do any other necessary errands.

Many people who hike also have to have 6 months worth of living expenses set aside.  Things like car payments, rent, insurance, etc all must be paid while on trail.  I am lucky that my husband will remain at home (working) and will take care of all of the domestic finances.  I was goingto be hiking with a couple of single women who have had to save and budget for 2+ years to stash away money for the hike as well as living expenses at home.  One woman is giving up her apartment and storing her household goods for the duration of her hike to reduce costs.  Another women sold her 3 year old car so she wouldn't have to make payments on a car she wasn't using.

I know people people who are planning on camping every night to cut back on expenses and others who plan on getting hotels every 2-3 days. 

I hope this answers some of your questions.

I don't know if you have changed your sleeping gear, but I wanted to ask you about the fleece. This isn't something I usually see. How much does it weigh? Ten pounds is really heavy for sleep system.

My ds just ordered the Revelation quilt from Enlightened Equipment. If you are interested in how the experience goes, we can update you. We were amazed at the review from the guy on the PCT who had one quilt but encountered really cold weather in Oregon. He ordered a new quilt and had it in 4 days ON THE TRAIL. That's some pretty amazing customer service, considering the items are custom-made.

Thanks for sharing your preparations with us. I have enjoyed reading about the nitty gritty of getting ready.

• Like 1

I don't know if you have changed your sleeping gear, but I wanted to ask you about the fleece. This isn't something I usually see. How much does it weigh? Ten pounds is really heavy for sleep system.

My ds just ordered the Revelation quilt from Enlightened Equipment. If you are interested in how the experience goes, we can update you. We were amazed at the review from the guy on the PCT who had one quilt but encountered really cold weather in Oregon. He ordered a new quilt and had it in 4 days ON THE TRAIL. That's some pretty amazing customer service, considering the items are custom-made.

Thanks for sharing your preparations with us. I have enjoyed reading about the nitty gritty of getting ready.

I have heard of EE and one of their quilts is on my wist list.  I also have a NEMO bag on reserve that's just as light as an EE but more of a traditional bag.  One of my issues is that these items are not inexpensive and I don't want to pay $300 + for an item I will only use for a portion of the trip. I was willing to carry the heavier-but-already-paid-for sleeping bag for the 6-7 weeks it would be needed and then switch out to a warmer weather bag that is also already owned.  

For those who don't know - there is a push for backpackers to go lighter, meaning they should carry as little weight as possible. Some people try to push the limit and go ultra light and carry less than 12 pounds for all of their equipment. Cost is usually negatively correlated with weight - as equipment gets lighter the cost goes higher.  Without sponsors, and those are precious few for the AT due it's increasing popularity, an individual can anticipate spending $3000-5000 on ultralight equipment.  Some of the tents alone are $500+ but there are those who justify the expense because the tents weigh less than 18 oz.

There are ladies in my AT hiking group who have been convinced that it's "go light or don't go." They have great conversations (ones that remind me of TWTM) about the benefits of panty liners vs pads vs the cup vs birth control for menstrual periods.  They have determined the number of panty liners or pads needed for the time in between towns and can discuss how many grams/oz the soiled product, as well as the duct tape wrapped Ziploc refuse bag, will weigh.  These items cannot be buried nor can they be left in the privies; they must be packed out.

There are online trackers for determining how much weight is in your pack.  Simply enter in the item and the weight and the app adds it up and tells you when you have surpassed certain limits.  Someapps generate color coded pie charts to let you know how much weight you are carrying in each category (sleep system, clothes, toiletries, etc).

My idea is to be able to attempt the hike.  If I wait until I can afford everything ultralight, I don't know if I would ever get to go.  I have a mix of regular and light gear but I love each item I have and I am comfortable with it.

• Like 1

My idea is to be able to attempt the hike.  If I wait until I can afford everything ultralight, I don't know if I would ever get to go.  I have a mix of regular and light gear but I love each item I have and I am comfortable with it.

And while you're saving to buy ultralight stuff, technology will improve and it'll become even lighter. You are interested in DOING the hike, not making it 'the perfect experience'.  You sound very balanced- not running off half prepared, but also not waiting until perfection is achieved.  Hope you have a grand adventure!

Well, now that you are postponing your start date, you probably will not need the heavier sleeping bag anyway (at least at the start).

One other option is to carry an additional sleeping pad during the colder weeks. I don't know exactly what your sleep set up is, but I will sometimes carry a ridgerest or z-lite to use under my neoair when I am worried about cold. The closed cell foam pads are bulky, but very light, and that extra layer of insulation on the ground does make a difference. But, doing a flip flop, you likely won't need to worry about this until the end of your trip and you will be a pro by then.

• Like 1