Menu

AT Thru Hike

It's confirmed!  I will be attempting a 2016 thru-hike.  I have been prepping for a year and it's all finally coming together.

I have the time off from work and 99% of my gear.  My hiking companion just confirmed his availability and we are working on our schedules for departure and food drops.

Anyone here complete the AT? Do any good section hikes?

• Like 35

Woo hoo!!!!!!

Congrats and happy hiking!

I come from a family of thru hikers. I haven't completed it, but many aunts, uncles and cousins have.

What a huge endeavor. It's an accomplishment just getting started - so excited for you!

Keep us posted.

• Like 1

It's confirmed! I will be attempting a 2016 thru-hike. I have been prepping for a year and it's all finally coming together.

I have the time off from work and 99% of my gear. My hiking companion just confirmed his availability and we are working on our schedules for departure and food drops.

Anyone here complete the AT? Do any good section hikes?

:hurray:

I think I did about 100 yards that was part of a super easy hike at Shenandoah. :lol:

• Like 10

:hurray:

My dh and I have done days hikes in parts of MD, PA and TN.  I've never had the desire to thru-hike it, but I would love to section hike it.  

I think it's great and I hope you find a way to keep us all up to date.  My dh and I do read Appalachian Trials.  I've been following the thru hike of an older couple.  She's 68 and I believe he's a bit younger.  He's done the thru hike before, but it's her first time.  It's fun to read their account as they go. 

• Like 2

I've been doing a virtual thru hike and that has been keeping me going. It's on to the big leagues for training, though. Weighted backpack goes on today for my daily walks.

Did I say I was excited?

Question: Do I let the extra 10 pounds stay or should I continue working on losing weight?

I think the best thing is to just focus on being in the best shape you can. The weight will come off it needs to come off, just train and be healthy. And work on protecting your joints, if you can. I'm not sure what that entails but I've an aunt who had knee issues 6 weeks into her thru hike, and had to stop. So whatever you can do to strengthen those joints might be good! So excited for you!

• Like 8

You rock!  South to North, or the Intrepid Way?

We've done bits and pieces over the years, in Shenandoah (ahhhh...), PA (too tree-covered to see much), NH (some very challenging bits with occasional truly great rewards, and the AMC facilities are well spaced) and a very little bit in Maine.  My nephew did the whole 110 or so Maine miles and counts it as a lifetime highlight.

I presume you've read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods?  Hi.Lar.I.Ous.

• Like 6

So exciting!  It's a bucket list item, although I do have 4 children... I feel like I had my last child too late to tackle something like this. I was 34. I realize not that old, but I am not sure my knees would tolerate a thru hike in my 50s. Maybe. For now, I will vicariously live through you!  :hurray:

• Like 1

That's awesome! :hurray:

I agree with a previous poster about not worrying about the weight. Definitely do whatever you can to strengthen & stretch your leg muscles, though. Maybe even visit a physical therapist for specific exercises.

Do you have a link to the virtual thru hike? It sounds interesting.

• Like 1

I did big part of the Arizona Trail, eons ago. How exciting for you!

Leave the 10 lbs. You will lose them on the trail.

I imagine you are juggling a lot of logistics! Will you mail everything to yourself, or do you have live people to help you resupply?

• Like 1

So cool! Please, please blog or Instagram it.

When my kids are all old enough I would like to do this as a family, my husband isn't convinced yet. As soon as my youngest can hike more than a couple miles without being carried I hope we will start section hiking the Sheltowe which isn't far from me.

• Like 2

Question:  Do I let the extra 10 pounds stay or should I continue working on losing weight?

I'd not worry about the 10 pounds- they will melt off as soon as you start hiking. I found backpacking the best weight loss tool because it is impossible to carry enough food to even approximately replenish the caloric expense from a day of hiking.

Have fun! We've been toying with the ideal of the PCT.

• Like 1

Pictures! Blogging!  You must!  :hurray:   Can't wait to hear about it.  What an adventure!

I am sure there will be lots of pics of the things I see.  I;m not comfortable with pics of myself but I may have to take a few selfies.

I don't know how to blog or even how to begin blogging but I am creating a trail journal on trailjournal.com.  Once the admins approve and give me my link address, I will post it for those who want to follow my journey for the next 15 months.

• Like 5

You rock!  South to North, or the Intrepid Way?

We've done bits and pieces over the years, in Shenandoah (ahhhh...), PA (too tree-covered to see much), NH (some very challenging bits with occasional truly great rewards, and the AMC facilities are well spaced) and a very little bit in Maine.  My nephew did the whole 110 or so Maine miles and counts it as a lifetime highlight.

I presume you've read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods?  Hi.Lar.I.Ous.

I am going to be a NOBO.

Yes, I have read the book.  I am praying that the release of the movie does will not alter numbers for the 2016 season.  My fear is that the trails will be filled with ill-prepared hikers.

I have also read about 10 other books on the AT and have a few more lined up for this fall and winter. Grandma Gatewood's Walk is a good read as is Skywalker's account of his thruhike.    :D

• Like 2

So exciting!  It's a bucket list item, although I do have 4 children... I feel like I had my last child too late to tackle something like this. I was 34. I realize not that old, but I am not sure my knees would tolerate a thru hike in my 50s. Maybe. For now, I will vicariously live through you!  :hurray:

Age is irrelevant. It's all bout heart, health and fitness.  I'm in my 40's and I plan on kicking some dirt!

• Like 3

That's awesome! :hurray:

I agree with a previous poster about not worrying about the weight. Definitely do whatever you can to strengthen & stretch your leg muscles, though. Maybe even visit a physical therapist for specific exercises.

Do you have a link to the virtual thru hike? It sounds interesting.

The virtual hike has been posted on my FB page.    I started hiking and adding miles then I used this http://www.atdist.com/atdistto determine where I was on the trail.  I would then Google an image of that spot and post it on my FB.  It's been fun.  I am about 62% of the way to Katahdin. 

• Like 2

I did big part of the Arizona Trail, eons ago. How exciting for you!

Leave the 10 lbs. You will lose them on the trail.

I imagine you are juggling a lot of logistics! Will you mail everything to yourself, or do you have live people to help you resupply?

Resupply?  I will have boxes prepped and ready for my family to ship ahead of me.  Since I eat gluten free, I am a bit concerned about finding GF foods in the smaller trail towns.  I have a few friends along the trail who I hope will help as I pass through.  I have an acquaintance who is posting a call for help in the alum magazine for my alma mater.  I hope to be able to find a few Trail Angels through that call.  If any WTMers are near the AT and want to provide some trail magic, oh my, how heavenly that would be.

• Like 1

I'm so excited for you!  Dh and I read Wild and then several books each by different AT thru hikers.  We plan on doing a weekend section hike with the kids this fall (NY or MA) and some time in the next few years we'll hopefully do a week or two long section hike. 

That is just so cool!

Resupply?  I will have boxes prepped and ready for my family to ship ahead of me.  Since I eat gluten free, I am a bit concerned about finding GF foods in the smaller trail towns.  I have a few friends along the trail who I hope will help as I pass through.  I have an acquaintance who is posting a call for help in the alum magazine for my alma mater.  I hope to be able to find a few Trail Angels through that call.  If any WTMers are near the AT and want to provide some trail magic, oh my, how heavenly that would be.

I'd love to shower you with some trail magic! Do you have a schedule (I've only quickly scanned the thread so I apologize if you already posted that info)

• Like 1

My dd did some section hikes on the AT this spring, in nw NJ, through Stokes State Forest and High Point State Park.

The view from High Point is superb, unbelievable-- not sure how close the trail comes to the actual high point though. Another spectacular view is on the trail as it goes through Stokes State Forest.

Btw, I'm impressed. What an endeavor!

I've meant to note before on your posts that I, too, have climbed the Manitou Incline.  I thought I was gonna die!  My then-13 year old distance swimmer daughter (with her lungs the size of Connecticut and muscles of steel) kept telling me, "Mom!  Don't let the mountain beat you!"  It didn't, but it was close!  We got hailed on on the way down (via the trail--no way I was going down the way I'd come up) but were rewarded by a beautiful double rainbow.  That was the second year in a row we'd been hailed on on a hike and then seen a double rainbow.

Carry on. . ..

• Like 2

How exciting! I have thought about doing a AT thru hike ever since I was a kid. Not sure I could handle the crowds NOBO. The numbers have become so great Baxter State Park is considering whether they need to re-route the Northern terminus to protect the wilderness. If I were to do it now, I would definitely go SOBO or flip-flop.

Last August I did an End-to-End hike of the Long Trail in Vermont. It was my first long distance hike and it was fantastic, and just what I needed as a burned out homeschooling mom. I am planning a 4 week section of the AT this August/September. I'll be hiking from CT to the Maine/NH border. I am hoping a mid August start in CT will put me behind the big NOBO bubble.

Trying to maintain a gluten-free diet may end up being your biggest challenge. Most of the thru hikers I have met on the trails here in New England will eat anything put in front of them. The challenge to get enough calories without too much weight is a constant struggle. I recommend Packit Gourmet  for decent quality dehydrated, gluten free staples.

• Like 3

Sending you a PM. We live super-close to the AT and see thru-hikers often. Hikers often name our area as one of their favorites. :thumbup1:

I believe every one I've ever met has talked about the weight they lost, so I REALLY don't think you need to worry about that 10lbs, lol.

• Like 1

That sounds so fun!

I love the section from the approach to Roan Mountain NC through Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands in VA... The highland balds, the waterfall, Lake Watuaga, the ridge hikes, the ramp festival and Grayson Highlands and wild horses are all great... It's not as spectactular as the White Mtns and the 100 mile wilderness but still is my favorite... maybe it just looks like home... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Who are you going with? Will you see your family during the hike? How long will you be on the trail?

My cousin.

At this time, my DD is planning on meeting me in Harper's Ferry for a day of tubing and relaxation.  My DH is planning on taking a week's vacation to meet with me along the trail. A section of the AT is about 7 miles from DS's college so he is planning on picking me up and taking me to town for a day or two - if I can time arriving in that area while he is still there.

I am training for 15-20 mile days so I plan on 5-5 1/2 months. I can't stay out much longer than that without taking another semester off from work.  I don't think I can go an entire year without earning an income.

• Like 4

I've meant to note before on your posts that I, too, have climbed the Manitou Incline.  I thought I was gonna die!  My then-13 year old distance swimmer daughter (with her lungs the size of Connecticut and muscles of steel) kept telling me, "Mom!  Don't let the mountain beat you!"  It didn't, but it was close!  We got hailed on on the way down (via the trail--no way I was going down the way I'd come up) but were rewarded by a beautiful double rainbow.  That was the second year in a row we'd been hailed on on a hike and then seen a double rainbow.

Carry on. . ..

I went to CO for some training hikes and climbed the incline again.  It's quite different in the summer; lots of people.  I am ecstatic with my time (under an hour).  Actually, I reached the summit long before my companion so I went down the trail to where it meets the incline, met her there and went back up to the summit. 

My training is definitely paying off.  :) 

No rain, hail or rainbows for me though.  Just a big lemonade and a high five.

• Like 1

Very cool! My brother did the AT they hike last year. His dear friend was killed in a car crash and he's struggled with life ever sense. He did this as a way to "find himself."

He started in Amicalola on 5/1 and finished 9/24. It was an incredible experience for him and we are all so proud of him!!

Hope you have a wonderful journey, as well. :)

• Like 2

I would love to go on a thru-hike of the AT or any other long trail, for that matter.  I've hiked a good bit over the last several years, recently hiking up to the tea houses at Lake Louise and King's Throne as well.  There is something so centering and peaceful about hiking, and I have grown to love the time spent doing it.

A book I really enjoyed reading about the AT, and have reread recently is, Becoming Odyssa, by Jennifer Pharr Davis.  If you can find it at the library, I highly recommend it. 

There is a forum specifically for those planning a thru-hike (whiteblaze.net), so maybe that will be of some help to you.

Good luck!

• Like 2

How did you start out preparing physically.  I read your journal entry and by that time you were already in really good shape for hiking.

I have typed and deleted a response multiple times.  I think I am having difficulty answering because my initial preparations weren't really preparations for a thru hike but came from challenges I gave myself to grow spiritually while becoming healthy after being diagnosed with gluten allergy and a bout of Lyme disease. The desire to hike the AT came naturally through those challenges.

Here are some of the things I was doing:

I did Couch to 5K two years ago to work on breathing while running.  I tend to hold my breath with extreme exertion and I needed to break that habit.

I increased my daily walks with the dog from 3 to 5, 10, and now 13 miles.

I began searching out new trails and places to go hike or ride.  I began carrying a loaded day pack (~ 10#) on every hike/walk; mostly out of necessity (first aid kit, maps, food, water, change of socks).

I was riding my bike longer and longer distances; a metric century ride went from a challenge to the expectation.

In the meantime, I was still camping and taking training courses through the BSA and Leave No Trace, so I was outdoors and getting in weekend experiences.

Everything just came together.  I now purposely work on carrying my backpack and getting in hikes of various distances and times so I can make my goal of 12-18 miles per day on the AT.

My legs are muscled and strong.  I need to focus on upper body - which I have ignored - and develop stronger shoulders and arms.

• Like 9

I've followed this and have thought in the past how much I would love to do this one day when the kids are older. However as someone with chronic lyme (under control now, just occasional flare ups), I don't know if I could get past worrying about the ticks. Seeing you mention you have had lyme makes me more curious, what are your plans for that?

And it all sounds great BTW, enjoy!!!!

• Like 1

I have typed and deleted a response multiple times. I think I am having difficulty answering because my initial preparations weren't really preparations for a thru hike but came from challenges I gave myself to grow spiritually while becoming healthy after being diagnosed with gluten allergy and a bout of Lyme disease. The desire to hike the AT came naturally through those challenges.

Here are some of the things I was doing:

I did Couch to 5K two years ago to work on breathing while running. I tend to hold my breath with extreme exertion and I needed to break that habit.

I increased my daily walks with the dog from 3 to 5, 10, and now 13 miles.

I began searching out new trails and places to go hike or ride. I began carrying a loaded day pack (~ 10#) on every hike/walk; mostly out of necessity (first aid kit, maps, food, water, change of socks).

I was riding my bike longer and longer distances; a metric century ride went from a challenge to the expectation.

In the meantime, I was still camping and taking training courses through the BSA and Leave No Trace, so I was outdoors and getting in weekend experiences.

Everything just came together. I now purposely work on carrying my backpack and getting in hikes of various distances and times so I can make my goal of 12-18 miles per day on the AT.

My legs are muscled and strong. I need to focus on upper body - which I have ignored - and develop stronger shoulders and arms.

I am in awe!

• Like 3