Menu

ISO Online math supplement for Math-Loving kid (9 yo)

My son is 9 but he LOVES math. He loves figuring out problems. He gets a kick out of trying to do pre-algebra stuff (finding problems online and figuring them out himself). He loves trying to figure out some of his sister's math problems as we are doing them (Singapore 6b).

I do Beast Academy with him (we are currently still on 3C because frankly, he prefers doing math his way vs doing a curriculum, but he will do it if I sit down and do it with him). We are a bit behind on the curriculum because I let him take a break from curriculum to just spend time programming in Scratch for a couple months.

BUT he really wants to do something online, on his own (in addition to Beast Academy). He's found things and thought they were fun (iXL - I've since read negatives about iXL, so it really doesn't seem like a good choice for us). He's tried Kahn Academy and it really doesn't thrill him.

I'm just wondering - what can I set him up with online that he can do in his own time, when he wants, that will keep his interest, and allow him to go ahead if he wants to?

He's already pretty much mastered Timez Attack. We did DreamBox a while back, but then he lost interest so we cancelled. Not sure if we should try that again. Or something else?

He is definitely going to surpass my math abilities - I have no doubt of that. He is very math oriented, but at the same time, he can struggle with wording on stuff like Beast Academy, so he likes me sitting with him doing math the entire time. I just need to give him something he can do independently, on the computer, that he gets immediate feedback, and will enjoy doing.

Any thoughts?

CTC Math. You get access to all levels of math at once and it gives you medals based on the percentage of problems you get right. I often hear my ds working out averages as he goes through sections because he wants to hit gold or platinum and he is calculating how many correct problems he needs to get 95% or 97%.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

He didn't love the Prodigy Math when he tried it - he said it focused so much on division and that got boring for him. Perhaps he wasn't using it properly?

We have the DragonBox apps - I'll get him to try the more advanced version since I don't think he's done it yet.

And I will definitely have him try CYC and mathletics.

Thank you for the suggestions so far!

He didn't love the Prodigy Math when he tried it - he said it focused so much on division and that got boring for him. Perhaps he wasn't using it properly?

We have the DragonBox apps - I'll get him to try the more advanced version since I don't think he's done it yet.

And I will definitely have him try CYC and mathletics.

If he got bored with the math in Prodigy you could try the next grade, or assign specific content.