Menu

Knoxville, TN region

We have a job offer about 40 minutes west of Knoxville, TN. I have some concerns over the area, and I was wondering if anyone who lives/lived there could help me out? My family is from just north of the border in KY, so I understand the Appalachian culture, first of all. :)  The actual town we live in is negotiable provided it's less than 15 minutes or so from dh's work (PM me if you want to know exactly or just make a lucky guess).

Homeschooling!  I'm a little intimidated by TN requirements (I'm in IL right now!), but I think I can handle it.  But I'm not finding many homeschool activities or groups outside of Knoxville proper and absolutely no secular resources in the entire area.  This concerns me.  Any idea if Google-fu has failed me and there really are secular resources west of town or even in Knoxville?  I don't mind inclusive.  I just would rather it be secular. 

Suzuki violin/Youth orchestra *affordable* options-especially in the 'burbs.  This is non-negotiable for us moving.

Those roads!  I am so used to driving in the plains now that I'm a little terrified of all the steep windy roads. And there's nowhere to go for walks through town or the country or ride your bike in safety that I'm finding.  When we went there that concerned me the most.  We're outdoorsy and have one vehicle, so I'd really like to be able to take my kids for walks or bike rides to get out and it just doesn't look possible. 

Economy-not real excited about moving back to coal towns with pollution issues, but how is the economy actually doing here? 

State issues-how's the economy for real?  How's education in the state right now (colleges)?  How are taxes? This is one reason we're moving with IL's education and budget woes.

Anything else I should know?  

Hi, I live an hour North of Knoxville.  I'm guessing you're looking at Cookville? Maybe Crossville?  

I can tell you about Knoxville, at least a little.

There is an excellent youth orchestra in Knoxville, and it's very affortable. You'll be able to find Suziki teachers as well.  

There are no "secular" co-ops, but we attend a co-op called Thursday Connection, that is inclusive.  There are no "faith" requirements, and the science classes use secular text books. Many, but not all, of the teachers are Protestant Christian, but none of the books or materials my kids have used bend in that direction.  

The economy in Knoxville has been decent, I have no idea what it's like towards Crossville.  I live in a very economiclly depressed area.  Outlying areas are not getting better and have little chance too.  

The roads can be rough in winter, but otherwise, no biggie.  You get used to them (and I'm from Jersey. :) )  

Taxes are great, especially compared to somewhere like Jersey.  State colleges are good, and do you know that all kids in TN can now attend a state college (2 year school) for free? You have to apply in the early fall and meet some volunteer requirements.  They even created "Pathway" courses, that will transfer to the 4 year schools.  

I like Knoxville, a lot.  I would love to someday live there.  You can PM me with more direct questions and I can attempt to help.  I'm not familar with the areas outside of Knoxville, heading towards Nashville. Wish I could help more. 

Just east of there, yes. :)

Thank you for responding!  I did hear about the college pathway.  That's a great idea and will definitely be helpful for us with no extra income. :)  The co-op sounds good.  I'm just not willing to sign religious requirements and prefer secular science materials.  That was an issue here for us. 

I have friends in Nashville, and family up all over near the Williamsburg, KY area, but nobody to talk to near Knoxville, so this has been frustrating.  

Have you looked into the Oak Ridge area?  That may be too far east...There are a lot of riding/walking trails there, and it is a fairly nice city.

We live just north of Knoxville.  

We also attend Thursday Connection, and highly recommend it.  We also use HomeLife Academy for an umbrella.  No statement of faith required and they give you amazing flexibility in how you school.  No testing requirements either. It is much easier than going through the school district. We've also homeschooled in Texas, and I don't find TN laws under an umbrella to be much more difficult than the complete freedom TX has.

The TN Promise program for CC is going smoothly for us so far, and we have taken advantage of dual enrollment grants as well.  

Taxes aren't bad.  No income tax, but a rather high sales tax.  

It is a beautiful area.  I've driven here my entire adult life, so the roads don't phase me...I think you'd get used to them?

Just east of there, yes. :)

Thank you for responding!  I did hear about the college pathway.  That's a great idea and will definitely be helpful for us with no extra income. :)  The co-op sounds good.  I'm just not willing to sign religious requirements and prefer secular science materials.  That was an issue here for us. 

I have friends in Nashville, and family up all over near the Williamsburg, KY area, but nobody to talk to near Knoxville, so this has been frustrating.  

I'm close to there. :)

We are about an hour from Knoxville to the West / South. Madisonville-ish. We also drive into Knoxville for Thursday Connection and my kiddos love it! We are a secular family and find them to be very inclusive. Our umbrella is Sailaway and it's ridiculously easy through them. They offer support if you need it but otherwise don't require much.

We've had the same issue with finding secular groups. It looks like there used to be a yahoo group that was active but it isn't any longer. It's spam filled gunk now. :( In general, it's a very religious area though, so I'm sure there's not quite as much interest in secular groups.

Our taxes are SO cheap in the country. We were in Maryville before and they were at least double what we are paying now. Cost of living is significantly less than West Michigan (where we moved from 3 years ago).

I am more on the Sevierville side of Knoxville but grew up in Sparta, TN and went to college in Cookeville so know a little about that side of the state.  I'm not sure about homeschool options there because I was in public school growing up.  There are all kinds of homeschool things in Knoxville though if you don't mind driving.  Like the others have said their are co-ops, classes at the zoo, i think there is a homeschool band/orchestra, and other events.  Check out the SMHEA (Smoky Mountain Home Education Association) website and I think they have a listing of what is available.  

Most of the towns are not designed for walking/bike riding everywhere unless you live right in the center of town.  I grew up in a very small town and there were sidewalks to walk or ride right around the courthouse and for a few blocks in either direction, but not near where I lived.  But, we lived out in the country on 5 acres and had a creek and woods in our backyard to explore so we had plenty of time out of the house and in nature.  Maybe just choose your new home carefully and look for something with some land where you can get outside?

Taxes are good - we have no state income tax - so you are saving some there.  Property taxes and things like that just depend on what county you in.  Some are lower than others.

Colleges are good.  As others have mentioned we have the new program where graduating seniors can go to community college for free.  This is the first year for it so I'm sure there will be some kinks to work out but its still very exciting.