Menu

Why are things in my freezer icing over?

Renthead Mommy

What does it mean when stuff is getting ice crystals over it in the freezer? It is a garage fridge/freezer.  There is not a lot in the freezer at the moment food wise, but I keep frozen water in there to take up space for the times it is low on food.  We are not in it daily by any means.  But I pulled out pork chops the other day and both packs were freezer burned and ice crystaled.  Granted they had been in there a few months, but I've had other things with lots of ice crystals all over it come out of that freezer.  What is causing it? 

Air inside the containers?

That was what my husband tried to say, but it's the styrofoam tray and plastic wrap that meat comes in.  Same as what is in the other freezer.  

Our garage freezer does that too. It's not older than the main freezer. Our guess is uneven temperatures due to something we haven't noticed. We don't keep meat there.

I wonder if the seals just aren't tight enough.  I'll try putting vaseline on them and see if it helps.