Menu

swim suit recommendations

My girls spend about 12 hours/week in the public pool. We go through 3-4 suits a summer. Shopping here is slim and most suits are gone at this point in the season.

If your kids spend quite a bit if tine in the pool, can you recommend a swimsuit that will last for the summer?

They must be one pieces, or full coverage tankinis. This is nonnegotiable. :-)

• Like 1

How tall are they? Adult sizes or kids? 

I love my lands end suit. This one: http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-414745_AL.html?CM_MERCH=Shopping_Cart

It's held up very well and I'm terrible and throw it into the washing machine! Super comfy - easy to get off when wet. I got it in September I think? Wore it to the pool 2-3 times a week all year and it's just now starting to show some wear. But at $35, I don't mind buying another. 

• Like 1

Don't know how well it will hold up long-term yet, but we just got a tankini from Target for my 14 yo---this top http://www.target.com/p/mb-fineline-tankini-top-green/-/A-17008592#prodSlot=large_1_20&term=womens+swimsuits+tankinipaired with a pair of black bottoms that came up a bit higher than the green ones that match it, but they also have black swim skirts and swim shorts if that works better for you. I sewed the removable strap to either side of the lattice work to make it a center halter because she wanted that security. She is a C-cup and this was much more modest on her than the tankinis with the v neckline and has removable pads in the cup. The suit was full coverage.

Another vote for Land's End.

We have a pool and the kids are in it almost every day it doesn't rain. I am not very good at making sure their suits get rinsed out after every use either. I do usually remember to rinse my own, but I swim far less often that they do and it's far more difficult for me to find a suit I feel comfortable wearing so I tend to take better care of mine than I do theirs. :) By the last couple weeks of summer theirs are stretched out, but they do last for most of the season even though I don't take very good care of them. If you order something and give them your email, they will send you coupons too, which definitely come in handy if you have to order things often.

No, I can't recommend one that doesn't get beaten up by July, although L.L. Bean makes better than average suits, as far as quality goes. My kids are on both swim and dive teams, in addition to their recreational swimming, and most of the suits are sadly beaten up by July. My best advice is to get multiple suits for each kid and rotate them through.

• Like 1

My kids have been doing summer swim team the past three years. I am a fan of the competition style suits. They are durable and look nice on a variety of body shapes. Waterpro suits are very affordable. My oldest daughter has had this one for about a year and it is her favorite suit ever. She is a ladies 12/14 and wears a 40 with a little growing room. We recently ordered another Waterpro suit in a different color.

I recently found a Dolfin Uglies suit on a sale rack in a store for my middle daughter. She wears a girls 12/14 and the size 30 fit her perfectly. It is an extremely nice and cute suit.

My girls spend about 12 hours/week in the public pool. We go through 3-4 suits a summer. Shopping here is slim and most suits are gone at this point in the season.

If your kids spend quite a bit if tine in the pool, can you recommend a swimsuit that will last for the summer?

They must be one pieces, or full coverage tankinis. This is nonnegotiable. :-)

It depends whether your kids grow every year and how often you do laundry. For me, I prefer to use a different one each day and they're all pretty cheap, so $60 gets you through the summer but they have a clean one daily and you can soak the others to save from chlorine damage. In other words, other than the team suit, we go cheap and disposable. That way I don't need to launder them daily either.

I have bought so many Speedo kids swimsuits at Costco this year. I don't know if that's an option for you but I'm really happy with the options. Lots of full coverage and cute tankinis as well.

http://www.costco.com/girls-swimwear.html?pageSize=48 (ETA--these are not Speedo, but earlier in the season they had a lot of Speedos).

Our local Costco has those plus the early season ones.

I figure, they'll grow out of them anyway so why bother getting the really nice ones? We'll just go through them one after another anyway.

They have one nice team suit for meets and the rest are all throwaways. This has worked for us for two summers and I think I save. We even get them at goodwill. I suppose if they were in some really fancy league swimming meets daily, it would be different. But that's not the case for us. 

I really like my Lime Ricki suit. If you like one of the clearance ones, the prices are pretty good. I'm not sure of the age or size of your girls, but they run pretty small and if your girls are about preteen age or early teens an xs may fit.