Menu

Center for Lit Reviews?

Yes, DD has taken Jr. High and American lit previously, and will take World lit this year. She thoroughly enjoys her classes! DD says Mr. and Mrs. A are fun, genuinely care about what the students have to say, and feels she can apply the story chart to any book. I have seen  tremendous growth in her ability to analyze a piece and in her confidence in expressing her ideas. CFL is offering a free summer session  (if it isn't already full) which might give you a better feel for the classes.

HTH :001_smile: 

• Like 2

My kids have loved the classes and I love what they have learned and how they can apply it to other books. We've only done the literature discussions and not the writing classes.

My oldest took a high school lit class through them as a ninth grader. He did not last year, but after listening in on his brother's class, he asked me to be able to take another class this year. I was just planning on doing lit with him on my own, but he says the class really makes him think about everything he reads more critically and he wanted to take another class with them. Next year he'll be doing mostly world lit (with alternative classes from American lit.) The class he took two years ago was just "high school lit" and the books covered crossed over all the classes now offered. Since he wanted to do World lit, but had done some of the selections already (with Center for LIt) they let him customize his class.

My 8th grader took the JR high class last year and enjoyed it. My daughter listened in on a couple of his easier classes and she has asked me to take her own class this year.

If you want to sample a class, I think they have a free class this summer and/or you can buy one of their dvds which is a class on dvd so you can find out how the class is taught. The online classes are chat based. The teacher has all the students muted and you can "raise your hand" and be unmuted by the teacher to answer questions or ask questions as well as just type in comments. Most of the students participate in the discussions, but my son must listens and takes it all in.

Edited to add:

Here's the link for the summer lit classes:

http://www.centerforlit.com/Academy/summerlit.aspx

They are currently full, but if you add your name to the mailing list they will email when the class is over and you can download an mp3 recording of the class and listen to it on your own time.

• Like 2

Are these classes for Elementary and Junior High Literature discussions without writing component enough for yearly study of Literature in 6th,7th and 8th Grade?Do the students get Grades on class discussion inorder to analyze their ability of any  reading literary piece?

My kids have learned more literary analysis than I ever learned and more than their peers learn in public school around here - so I guess it's "enough". I think kids still need to write, but we just haven't done it through Center for Lit.

Center for Lit does not grade the online discussions in any way. As I said, my high schooler simply listens and absorbs the material. He thinks about everything said and then applies it to anything else he reads. When I have had discussions of literature with him, it amazes me how well he can discuss/analyze the literature and how much he has learned from this class. I don't know if other kids would learn as much by just listening, but it works for us.

• Like 2

I've used Brave Writer classes as well as many of their philosophies in my home writing. There are lots of ways you can incorporate writing about literature or other - Center for Lit classes, Brave Writer, and Excellence in Literature are some that I've looked at closely. Pairing up some of the rabbit trails and writing ideas from Excellence in Literature works nicely with Center for LIt, but I don't really think you have to add anything.

• Like 1