Menu

Seeing my son after a week of camp was awesome

Butter

My 13 year old son was at Scout Camp all week.  They left super early Monday morning.  My husband took him to the meeting place so I hadn't seen Cameron since Sunday night.  They were supposed to get home late this afternoon, but decided to get up very early this morning and pack up and arrived just after our church 4th of July picnic started.

When I saw my son I leaped up and gave him a hug.  He half hugged me back because, well, it was in front of everyone and he's 13 and really doesn't like hugs anyway.  It was so awesome seeing him after that week.  This was the first time he went to sleepaway camp and I really missed him.  I love watching the person he is becoming.

While he was gone I received word that he is well respected and well liked, especially among the leaders.  They said he's a truly special young man and has a real gift for working with the two boys his age with autism.  He is patient and kind with them and the younger boys.  He made sure to take a game that he knew the youngest boy in his troop plays so they could play together.  Before he got to the picnic yet another person, an elderly woman, told me how impressed she is by my son.

My momma heart is just full to overflowing.  I think Cameron is a special kid, but I'm his mom.  It just makes me so happy that other people see it, too.  And I'm really glad he's home.  I missed that boy!  I really like having him around.

• Like 10