Menu

If my son likes Monopoly

MamaBearTeacher

We like Monopoly Deal-- a card game based on the property cards-- Most game rounds take 15 minutes or so.

Uno has been revived at our house... had one round today that lasted less than 5 minutes followed by another round that lasted almost an hour!

Mexican Train (dominoes) with double 15s is hands down our family favorite. 

We love family game night/time... even our big girls will come over for game night as much as possible... oldest dropped in today (and was part of that 1 hour Uno round).

Spy Alley. It's like Monopoly and Clue had a baby.

Both of my older kids loved this game as pre-teens.  

There was a girl across the street who hated board games, and this was the only game she would play with my board-game-loving-daughter on sleep overs.

• Like 1

Oh, the memories!

I have to add my vote for Spy Alley, too. It was a huge hit with the pre-teen crowd here back in the day. One summer, my husband introduced it to my nephews while we were watching them. One of them (about 8yo then) followed him around the rest of the weekend begging, "Uncle David...please, just one more game? I can never get enough of Spy Alley!!" 

My kids love Life. It's not as intolerable as Monopoly.

I'm intrigued by always letting him win. Why do you do that? My 9 year old has been kicking my butt for reals for years. Maybe I'm a bad Monopoly player. ;) I try to pull it out when grandparents come and sucker them into games. :D

Spy Alley, Carcassone, TIcket to Ride are all hits here.

I also think you could maybe introduce Settlers of Catan at this age is he's getting the ins and outs of strategy and more complex rules.

My dd who just turned 11 really likes Takenako and has been playing that for a year or so.  I like it too! 

I'm intrigued about why you let him win all the time too?  I never "let" my kids win.  Sometimes they win, sometimes they lose. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure he'd learn anything "new" from my suggestions, other than improved strategy, but they meet our varied needs:

my kids' need to play games,

my need to have these games not be Monopoly or Monopoly-long,

and our combined need to have it be portable and convenient.

We play a lot of:

Othello (aka Go)

Backgammon

Chess

Mancala

mahjongg

and various card games (blackjack, gin, basic poker, Singapore rummy, hearts, etc.)

We do also enjoy some of the games already mentioned (Axis & Allies, Carcassonne, Catan, etc.) but I'd rather play several, quick games throughout the day (in between chores, while waiting for meals or siblings at extra curriculars) than set aside the time for one longer game. I get bored after about 30 minutes, though, so YMMV!

I think you're passing the point where you might feel you need to let him win.  I never did that with my kids but I also didn't need to with many of the games on my list; they pick up pretty quickly on the different strategies. I'll be honest, I didn't let them win at tic-tac-toe either.  Instead I'd walk them through my thought process (by thinking out loud as I contemplated various moves) and they'd pick up on my strategy and later employ it themselves.  You might take advantage of your older kids by bringing them in on a Monopoly game to play against you and your 8 year old - you can mentor him through various decisions/strategies so you no longer 'need' to let him win. Or play a completely dumbo game of Monopoly where you play your part and mentor him through his; this is how I taught my kids to play chess. It took a few months of (boring) investment on my end, but was well worth it. They now win, and lose, on their own accords and it's much more fun for me!

• Like 2

I have a great suggestion!  CHESS!

Chess is gymnastics for the mind.  Chess is a strategic game that teaches kids/adults to think and helps with the decision making process.  

My DW ask me many years ago, about 11, to help with the homeschooling curriculum.  I advised DW that she was smarter then me in every category and I wouldn't be much help.  After much thought, I came up with Chess.  I played as a child so I decided to teach it to my kids.  Now, 11 years later, all 5 DC play chess and three have won multiple state championships!  Chess has been a great family tradition. 

I'd give it a go, they may love it.  :patriot:

• Like 3

Another vote for Settlers of Catan and CHESS. Maybe Forbidden Island. And maybe he would like doing the electronic Monopoly where he plays the computer.

If you are really bored what about inviting other kids over and having board game training day? Everyone learns how to play the games then your child has others he can play with?

• Like 1

If you want one that is a lot like Monopoly you could try The Farming Game.   http://www.amazon.com/The-Weekend-Farmer-WF100-Farming/dp/B00004UDWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436144015&sr=8-1&keywords=the+farming+game

It is very Monopoly like but you personally might have more fun with Catan that was already mentioned or Dutch Blitz.

I have let kids win after losing a few times so they don't completely give up a game when they are in pre-school kindie age and would never have a chance to win against me but then I let them learn to "suck it up" and be a good sport. :)

Monopoly is always a stressful game around here. Takes hours and everyone except 1 person is crying for 3/4 of the game, because fairly early on you know who's going to win and they just have to finish putting everyone else out of their misery.

Much better money game that has mostly replaced Monopoly at our house: Acquire.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5/acquire

It has an element of chance and a real estate empire building theme like Monopoly, but you never have to give up money to another player during the game, and the winner is not clear until the very end.

(Settlers of Catan is still our favorite, but someone already mentioned that.)

• Like 1

Flash Point (cooperative game)

Carcassonne

Ticket to Ride

Pandemic (co-op)

Love Letter

Settlers of Catan (I prefer the Junior version, but the adult one is fine, too)

I recommend you watch some Tabletop videos on YouTube. Wil Wheaton plays tabletop games with his friends, and he explains the rules very clearly. There are a lot of games. I think it could really open up the gaming world to you, too! Happy gaming.

I also really like game reviews by Shut Up and Sit Down. Look them up! They're British, and very entertaining.

Tabletop Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT956cWFGxqSyRdn6GWhBxiAwE

SUSD: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/