Menu

Healthy(ish) Buffet Style Meals

I am thinking about this idea for our house.  I want meals that we can prepare easily and that even kids can mostly put together.  I want to be able to shop for what is on sale and seasonal, but with the same basic list each week.  The meals would contain about the same choices daily but would have many combinations that they could put together with what is there.  The ingredients could all be bought in an organic form (or not) or from various local sources and many of the items could be switched out eventually for our own homemade versions if we want to make it even healthier as we go along. All of the items can come ready made, be made quickly right before the meal, or made weekly and reheated.  With a variety of sauces available, people can create a dinner that is Asian, Italian, Mexican, or whatever suits their fancy that night.  The same set of trays, serving utensils, and containers could be used over and over again and refilled each day as needed and then stored back in the fridge or pantry.  Trays and ingredients could be laid out on our counter next to our table for them to go through and then sit down with their plate like at a buffet restaurant.  It also cuts out a lot of processed foods.   

Here is what I've come up with:

Breakfast:

scrambled eggs with cheese

tray with plain yogurt, cottage cheese, and leftover fruit (from lunch the day before)

granola, cereal, toast, and oatmeal

honey and maple syrup

Snack:

trail mix

Lunch:

meat and cheese tray w/ mayo and mustard

veggie tray w/ ranch, guacamole, and hummus

fruit tray w/ peanut butter

beans w/ chips tray

Dinner:

beef and chicken (shredded and strips)

brown rice, pasta, and potatoes 

cornbread and rolls

salad w/ leftover veggies (from lunch) and dressings

cooked onions and peppers, green beans and broccoli or collards

dipping sauces

Dessert:

frozen fruit w/ whipped cream

fruit pops

dark chocolate or avocado pudding (flavored like chocolate pudding)

I want to do a trial run next week with shopping at Trader Joes and then compare the prices and products I find there to a similar run the following week at Whole Foods, one at Harris Teeter, and one at CostCo and see which has the best choices and prices because I would prefer to get it down to one store each week.  Then we can decide which ingredients we are having the hardest time finding containing only a few ingredients and make those ourselves.  I'm guessing the sauces are going to be the hardest.  I am hoping this has consistency but still enough variety to keep us happy, healthy, and not all over the map with grocery runs and costs.  

Another idea would be to make pizza dough at the end of the week and make pizza with any leftover cheeses, meats, and veggies and then put any leftover fruit and salad on the side.  Any leftover beans could also be made into burritos......

I would add: tortillas, black beans, white beans (go nicely with Italian spices and sauces, or with chicken and Mexican spices for a white chili style dish), ground beef or turkey. . . Maybe shrimp or fish fillets sometimes.

I'd also add a premixed Italian herb/spice blend and a Mexican one, maybe an Indian one too.

Sauces: if you have an Aldi, I'd look there for some ideas. My children love their Alfredo sauce mixed with chicken breast and sautéed broccoli, but they have a vodka sauce, marinara, sometimes a pumpkin sauce, a spicy marinara, etc. I like to keep a few on hand for busy evenings.

Also, check out this book for ideas for dressings, dipping sauces, pasta sauces, and more: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Saucy-Dinner-Marinades-Dressings/dp/155832237X

And, fwiw, since we still have so many small children, passing things is difficult at the table. We have gone to lining all the dishes up on our island, buffet style, where everyone serves themselves (and I plate up for the little ones). Neater, simpler, faster, and out of sight, out of mind (this is for the almost two year old, who will eat everything on his plate, unless he sees something he really likes, in which case, he will fixate on that item and insist upon more until it's gone; if the food isn't at the table, he will happily eat everything before demanding more).

• Like 1