Menu

Miquon and Beast Academy standardized testing

twas

I'm thinking about trying out BA with my son, and we have to do standardized testing in our state. He has been through RS A & B, then MM 2 through 3A, along with LoF Apples through Goldfish, and he's done really well the past two years on the Iowa. I'm just wondering if BA will prepare him adequately for testing. He will still use the Flashmaster for facts and still continue through LoF.

I'm also wondering the same about Miquon for my rising K daughter, who will also do Fred and use the Flashmaster.

I know I will have MM to supplement if needed. TIA!

DS did very well on the math part of the ITBS this spring (1st grade). He was in the Miquon green book at the time, though we've done some Singapore as well.

I have BA 3A and will use that when he finishes the Miquon series. It looks like it covers a lot of the topics that would be useful on a standardized test (perimeter, area, multiplication word problems, etc.).

I can't speak to Miquon alone before BA. We have used Miquon, but I always go and teach explicitly after they figure out intuitively. Also? The mental math and strength in base ten computation learned in RS is something I really think helped my kids be prepared for BA.

Thanks for the replies and helping me feel a little more comfortable going ahead with BA and Miquon. And thanks for sharing your experience with Miquon and RS. I already have RS A & B, so I may as well go ahead and use them for my little girl. She has actually already done some of A. I agree that RS gives a good foundation, which is why I decided to use it for my son originally, so this is a good reminder. And maybe by the time she finishes B AoPS will have BA 2 ready. It feels good to have a plan for math!