Menu

House remodel advice? Interior doors

VeteranMom

I would sincerely appreciate opinions.  My house has a ton of wood currently- doors, cabinets, floors, trim, stairs, etc.  The doors I have now are hollow doors that came with this 1980s house.  The rest of the wood in the house looks good and is in good shape.  I'm thinking about changing the doors out to 2 paneled white doors.  Would this look good or is it a bad idea?      

as to whether the 2-panel would look good would depend upon the style of your house.  are you talking actual wood doors - or the fake stuff I see everywhere?   I replaced my 1980's hollow with six panel wood doors and I'm so glad I did . . . . . (I also upgraded the builder cheap grade molding.)

and you might want to plan to replace millwork to something more appropriate with panel doors.  depending upon your trim - it may or may not work with upgraded doors.

also, do you plan on painting or staining?  if staining, you will probably want the same species of wood.

I would sincerely appreciate opinions.  My house has a ton of wood currently- doors, cabinets, floors, trim, stairs, etc.  The doors I have now are hollow doors that came with this 1980s house.  The rest of the wood in the house looks good and is in good shape.  I'm thinking about changing the doors out to 2 paneled white doors.  Would this look good or is it a bad idea?      

we did something similar to our 1980s house.  We did the white 6 panel doors.  I do like the two panel doors a little better, though.  Our house in Virginia was almost all wood and white paneled doors were what we had everywhere (as did everyone else we knew, and these were newer high end homes).

Finish choice for the hardware makes a big difference, too.  My husband and my father went and purchased all the doors and came back with very outdated shiny gold handles, catches, and plates.  We returned it for something more updated (and honestly, that cost almost as much as the actual door).

Upgrading the trim makes a huge difference as well.