Menu

Future Planning

I've been doing some research about how I want DS to proceed over the next few years to try to get a general idea of a game plan together.  Just in case our situation should change, I looked up the different diploma options at the local public school.  It looks like after 6th grade you decide which "track" you will follow.  If he were in the PS system, he would be following the "Advance College Academy" which means he would graduate with his HS diploma and his associate's degree.

Description:

Advance College Academy (ACA) The ACA provides students the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree in social sciences from J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College (JSRCC) while also earning an advanced studies high school diploma. All 8th grade students are eligible to apply for acceptance into the ACA. Students who are selected will take honors and AP level courses during the 9th and 10th grades and dual enrollment college courses during the 11th and 12th grades, earning 60 college credits at a minimal cost to their parents. The college credits are transferable to over 20 top colleges and universities in the state.

I'm using this as a general guide for how I want to proceed over the next several years (he's a rising 5th grader).  Unfortunately, it doesn't really give me a good description of what exactly he will need to cover for grades 6-8, there are 2 different options for a "history/social sciences course of study" and a "science course of study" each having different "paths."  

For the "science course of study" it has Integrated Science 1 and 2 for 6th and 7th grades, respectively.  Description says that it integrates half of a 6th grade course into a life science course (or physical science course for 2) and that the pace and homework are more intense.  Then the plan for 8th grade is earth science.

For the "history/social science course of study" it states that it's half of an 8th grade civics and economics course divided into US History 1 and 2, for 6th and 7th respectively.  World History 1 would be the 8th grade course.

In high school, for 9th and 10th, it's all honors courses (exception on World Language) and then 11th and 12th are all pre-selected college classes taken at the HS.  Basic gen ed requirements.

So, with that in mind I'm trying to find a way that if he ever needs to transition back into PS for whatever reason, it's possible, even if he is above the "traditional" track.  Right now, there is no way that he would be able to transition in and continue on his current path - the courses just aren't available at his age.  (We live in a rural area and he would be going into middle school this year.  There is only 1 middle school (5th and 6th), 1 junior high school (7th and 8th), and 1 high school in our county.)

He LOVES math, history, and science.  He loves reading as well, but struggles with inference in literature.  He completed Spanish 1 this year with a B.

My current plan for 5th grade is as follows:

Language/Literature:  MCT Grammar Town

Math:  Saxon 76 and AOPS PA

History:  STOW 2 and 3

Science:  Apologia General Science and possibly Physical Science if time allows

Foreign Language:  Spanish 2

Extra:  Alfred's Music Theory; and probably a pre-collegiate course for gifted students in either Lego Robotics or Programming

My only concern is the "honors" requirement in high school.  If he is taking high school level courses before he hits 9th grade, how can I ensure that they would meet the level of an honors class?  I did find out recently that our school system is now offering online course options (that are also available to homeschooled students), so that might be something to consider.

I'm also really looking for the right science and history curriculum.  I haven't found anything that I'm really excited about, so I'm giving Apologia a shot this year and will continue with SOTW (we've completed 1 and half of 2) until we finish the series.  Both of these are areas that I'd like to really dig in and find something geared for advanced students, but I haven't found it yet.  I'd also like something that has built in testing so I have a quantifiable measure of success.

MCT and AOPS will both be new to us this year, but I'm so excited about them and I really think they will be a great fit.

***This may be a really long, rambling post, but it's what I'm currently spazzing about over here.  Any advice welcome.  Also, I have no current plans for early graduation or EEP to a college.  I'd like to essentially keep him at basically "grade level" and if we have to supplement with different types of classes as he gets into HS, then so be it.  Obviously, some things I have progressed him to a higher level, but I believe that we can find a way to make it work without simply looking at it from a grade level perspective.  For example, if he takes both Biology and Advanced Biology (Apologia) next year (in 6th), or ends up taking both at different times - or AP Biology at a later date.

Description:

Advance College Academy (ACA) The ACA provides students the opportunity to earn an associate’s degree in social sciences from J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College (JSRCC) while also earning an advanced studies high school diploma. All 8th grade students are eligible to apply for acceptance into the ACA. Students who are selected will take honors and AP level courses during the 9th and 10th grades and dual enrollment college courses during the 11th and 12th grades, earning 60 college credits at a minimal cost to their parents. The college credits are transferable to over 20 top colleges and universities in the state.

That sounds like a very interesting program...is it new? Or do you know anyone who has tried this for their kids? What do they say? How does your DS feel about this (granted 5th grade is young). I tend to be the type to consult DS often on his thoughts and if he rejects the idea, then I know that I can keep my planning on the backburner vs front burner.

Do the 60 units come from 11th and 12th only? If it's called dual enrollment, then aren't students normally limited to the number of units they are able to take? I'm sure it's probably straightforward but might be good to clarify that just in case.

I'm using this as a general guide for how I want to proceed over the next several years (he's a rising 5th grader).  Unfortunately, it doesn't really give me a good description of what exactly he will need to cover for grades 6-8, there are 2 different options for a "history/social sciences course of study" and a "science course of study" each having different "paths."  

For the "science course of study" it has Integrated Science 1 and 2 for 6th and 7th grades, respectively.  Description says that it integrates half of a 6th grade course into a life science course (or physical science course for 2) and that the pace and homework are more intense.  Then the plan for 8th grade is earth science.

For the "history/social science course of study" it states that it's half of an 8th grade civics and economics course divided into US History 1 and 2, for 6th and 7th respectively.  World History 1 would be the 8th grade course.

This might come across as negative but I'm just suggesting this based on my own experience and how my DS loves to learn...

1. Very often, with my guy, his interests don't jell with what a program stipulates for a certain grade level, e.g. he would have baulked at earth science for 8th for example and instead of life science, he just went straight into a labless AP Biology study because that's what he needed at the time..., so...

2. DS's own interests have led him into more depth and rigor than anything I have planned for him

3. Asynchronous development...how much of the requirements are suited to where your DS is developmentally? Gifted learners tend to process learning differently and PS-based programs usually don't take such things into account.

In high school, for 9th and 10th, it's all honors courses (exception on World Language) and then 11th and 12th are all pre-selected college classes taken at the HS.  Basic gen ed requirements.

So, with that in mind I'm trying to find a way that if he ever needs to transition back into PS for whatever reason, it's possible, even if he is above the "traditional" track.  Right now, there is no way that he would be able to transition in and continue on his current path - the courses just aren't available at his age.  (We live in a rural area and he would be going into middle school this year.  There is only 1 middle school (5th and 6th), 1 junior high school (7th and 8th), and 1 high school in our county.)

He LOVES math, history, and science.  He loves reading as well, but struggles with inference in literature.  He completed Spanish 1 this year with a B.

Extra:  Alfred's Music Theory; and probably a pre-collegiate course for gifted students in either Lego Robotics or Programming

My only concern is the "honors" requirement in high school.  If he is taking high school level courses before he hits 9th grade, how can I ensure that they would meet the level of an honors class?  I did find out recently that our school system is now offering online course options (that are also available to homeschooled students), so that might be something to consider.

I'm also really looking for the right science and history curriculum.  I haven't found anything that I'm really excited about, so I'm giving Apologia a shot this year and will continue with SOTW (we've completed 1 and half of 2) until we finish the series.  Both of these are areas that I'd like to really dig in and find something geared for advanced students, but I haven't found it yet.  I'd also like something that has built in testing so I have a quantifiable measure of success.

I count honors as additional rigor completed outside/ in addition to course requirements...no clue about Apologia or Saxon, but I would consider AoPS honors level (algebra and above) although I am not listing them as such in his transcript. For physics that DS completed prior to HS, the course provider called it honors and this meant additional homework/ problems to solve. We brainstormed with DS for a "maker"style project and counted his many hours creating it and applying (algebra-based) physics to calculations as honors level but I have actually ended up leaving that course out of his transcript because he is working on higher level physics now. Courses completed in middle school (except for math and foreign language) are usually not included in high school transcripts. And again, my point that I couldn't have guessed what DS would be doing in 7th-8th when he was in 5th grade (although I did have a rough idea, it was still some way off).

MCT and AOPS will both be new to us this year, but I'm so excited about them and I really think they will be a great fit.

***This may be a really long, rambling post, but it's what I'm currently spazzing about over here.  Any advice welcome.  Also, I have no current plans for early graduation or EEP to a college.  I'd like to essentially keep him at basically "grade level" and if we have to supplement with different types of classes as he gets into HS, then so be it.  Obviously, some things I have progressed him to a higher level, but I believe that we can find a way to make it work without simply looking at it from a grade level perspective.  For example, if he takes both Biology and Advanced Biology (Apologia) next year (in 6th), or ends up taking both at different times - or AP Biology at a later date.

Good luck! Hope I've offered something useful/ not redundant and hope it works out great for your DS!

ETA: Was writing my reply when 8 posted!

• Like 1

sportsmom, on 03 Jul 2015 - 6:23 PM, said:snapback.png

Description:

That sounds like a very interesting program...is it new? Or do you know anyone who has tried this for their kids? What do they say? How does your DS feel about this (granted 5th grade is young). I tend to be the type to consult DS often on his thoughts and if he rejects the idea, then I know that I can keep my planning on the backburner vs front burner.

Do the 60 units come from 11th and 12th only? If it's called dual enrollment, then aren't students normally limited to the number of units they are able to take? I'm sure it's probably straightforward but might be good to clarify that just in case.

I'm not sure how new it is, and I don't know anyone who has gone this path with their kids.  I did see several parents debating the merits of the program this spring when they handed out the information, but as always, there seemed to be a lot of opinions flying around with few facts.  Most seemed to be in the "kids should be allowed to be kids" and "it's too much pressure at that age" category.  Both of which may be true for MOST students.  It seemed that those who were considering it were looking into cost savings for themselves on college tuition - which is basically how the school district billed it. as opposed to long-term benefit to the child.  Which is where I checked out of following the conversation.  He and I haven't really talked about it yet specifically.  I know his general goal (to complete as much as he possibly can between September and May), and outside of that, we will have the conversation at some point.

The 60 units are preselected classes that are only available to 11th and 12th grade students.  It isn't technically dual enrollment, it doesn't look like.  

This might come across as negative but I'm just suggesting this based on my own experience and how my DS loves to learn...

1. Very often, with my guy, his interests don't jell with what a program stipulates for a certain grade level, e.g. he would have baulked at earth science for 8th for example and instead of life science, he just went straight into a labless AP Biology study because that's what he needed at the time..., so...

2. DS's own interests have led him into more depth and rigor than anything I have planned for him

3. Asynchronous development...how much of the requirements are suited to where your DS is developmentally? Gifted learners tend to process learning differently and PS-based programs usually don't take such things into account.

Not negative at all.  :)  He's still kind of finding himself and what he's really interested in.  For example, he loves history, but wouldn't be able to tell you what history he wants to learn about.  Mostly, his main goal is to complete multiple different textbooks in a year's time.  We did 2 math books this past year, next year he wants to do 3.  But he also hates getting less than 100%, so he will refrain from truly challenging himself.  It's something we have been working on for the past 2 years.  After Kindergarten through 2nd in PS, he assumed that he should automatically get a 100 on everything and when he didn't it was extremely frustrating for him.  The best way I can describe him is content - regardless of what he is doing.  He's just happy to be learning, it doesn't matter what it's about.  Even when he doesn't *want* to do the work, as soon as he begins, he's more than happy to complete it.  My challenge comes because he has an almost photographic memory, and as soon as he grasps a concept, he becomes lazy with it and makes careless errors.  So we haven't found anything that we can really park on and go into detail on because he wants to move onto something else.  I love to hear that you skipped whole levels of science and went straight for AP Bio, I'm terrified of making that kind of a jump.

My only concern is the "honors" requirement in high school.  If he is taking high school level courses before he hits 9th grade, how can I ensure that they would meet the level of an honors class?  I did find out recently that our school system is now offering online course options (that are also available to homeschooled students), so that might be something to consider.

I count honors as additional rigor completed outside/ in addition to course requirements...no clue about Apologia or Saxon, but I would consider AoPS honors level (algebra and above) although I am not listing them as such in his transcript. For physics that DS completed prior to HS, the course provider called it honors and this meant additional homework/ problems to solve. We brainstormed with DS for a "maker"style project and counted his many hours creating it and applying (algebra-based) physics to calculations as honors level but I have actually ended up leaving that course out of his transcript because he is working on higher level physics now. Courses completed in middle school (except for math and foreign language) are usually not included in high school transcripts. And again, my point that I couldn't have guessed what DS would be doing in 7th-8th when he was in 5th grade (although I did have a rough idea, it was still some way off).

I didn't realize that middle school courses other than math and foreign language didn't get included on a transcript.  That's good information to have.  Would that be the case even if he ended up taking an AP class?  To clarify, I'm not trying to have a set-in-stone plan that he must complete XYZ in each grade.  I fully expect that some things he will go through faster than I expect and that others will take an agonizingly long time (to me anyway, ha).  I'd just like to have a road map of what I'd like to hit and if we take a few detours or scenic routes along the way no big deal, or if we completely decide to skip some stops, then I'm fine with that as well.  My husband is big into the 5 year plan, and is generally less than thrilled when I tell him that I'm taking it semester to semester.  At some point, DS will truly find his passion, and I'm excited that I get to be a part of the process.  Until he does, then I'll guide him through making sure we cover a wide variety of topics and when *THE* one comes along, then I'll make sure he learns as much about it as he possibly can.

Good luck! Hope there I've offered something useful/ not redundant and hope it works out great for your DS!

Thank you so very much for your 

We didn't really skip whole levels as much as have everything running parallel.  :tongue_smilie:  He read so widely in the younger years and watched so many documentaries that it wasn't hard for him to understand the material but we didn't sign him up for the AP exam (that wasn't the objective) and that AP-level course doesn't go into his transcript either. It's not so much the name of the course as the level of challenge he needed at the time if it makes sense. He was in this information input/ processing stage and there was no need to qualify it and list it anywhere. You'll probably want to ask on the high school boards about AP exams taken prior to 9th. I don't think we are going that route for the sciences (might take subject tests to fulfill college requirements though...and my guy isn't 9th by age yet, I'm still on the fence about when 9th should actually begin and ETA: truth be told, I really prefer the scenic route! :D). You might be able to list AP exams taken prior to 9th in the testing/ achievements section of the transcript but it probably isn't wise to list a class as AP level if he didn't actually take the exam.

• Like 1

Would you please delete my post in your quote? TIA!

Here is more unsolicited advice, fwiw. I wouldn't follow your plan for multiple reasons, but a simple one is that your student is not benefitting in any way by the approach. If your student completes all the AP exams you are imagining, than the normal progression would be to move beyond that level. The offerings at CC only progress to 200 level classes. If he is never going to take anything beyond that, then you rushed to get to nowhere. If the course sequence at JSarg is pre-determined, he will also have to take classes that he probably has zero interest or need to ever take.

That is why I said an AA serves no real purpose. Many of the courses will have absolutely no value toward his degree goals. They will simply be filed away somewhere on his transcripts as elective credit and will not be used toward his degree. The grades in those classes will also follow him the rest of his life. It doesn't matter when you take them. All college classes and transcripts have to be reported.

My other observation is that you are expecting equal input and output in a very young child. For some kids it is equal. But for many it isn't. In order for it to be high school equivalent, the input and output both need to be at a high school level. If a 6th grader is taking high school history, it can't just be using a high school equivalent text. They need to be able to write the essays, do the required research/documentation that an 11th grader would be doing in the same class.

My approach to education is the complete opposite of what you have described, so the rest of my post is probably irrelevant. I fiercely protect my children's childhood. I have limited my children from taking too many courses when they have wanted to take more. I never planned on my kids taking advanced classes and just let them happen when they happened. My goal has never been to have my kids be advanced. It only happens bc it just happened that way. My educational goals are focused more around loving to learn and seeing the world as full of amazing opportunities vs a list of courses to check off as having been studied. Middle school science in our household is 100% based on child interests. What they are interested in is what we build their studies around.

I have found that approach doesn't limit them or slow them down. It actually empowers them. I'm going to use my 19 yr old son as an example. He was probably close to your ds in abilities in math at that age. He took his first alg class at age 10. By 8th grade he had completed alg 1, geo, alg 2, counting and probability, and AoPS alg 3 (I'm not sure they still call it that. They may be calling it intermediate alg these days.) He took the BC exam in 10th. He had credit for multivariable, diffEQ, and linear alg. It wasn't planned. We just let it happen. I slowed him down. He wanted to take pre-cal and cal in 9th and I wouldn't let him. I saw no point. In hindsight he is glad I didn't and made him spend more time doing other things bc that is when he realized that his first love was not math, but physics.

He watched Stargate in 7th and became fascinated with the physics in the story line, especially wormholes. He took his first high school science, physics, in 8th grade. It was also his very first formal science class. He had never touched a science textbook or done a lab prior to that. Science prior to this was reading lots books on whatever science topics he was interested in and doing research around ideas those topics.

In 9th grade he took chemistry and an astronomy course. In 10th he took AP chem and a second astronomy course. In 11th he DE in both semesters of introductory cal based physics and he created his own course studying dark matter and black holes. In 12th he took modern physics, 2 semesters of physical mechanics at a university (those are all 200/300 level physics classes) and biology at home.

My point is that we didn't rush forward with a plan to finish those things. He didn't take any sciences in middle school with the goal of completing AP level sciences, but he ended up significantly beyond that level simply bc that was what he was ready for and what he wanted to pursue. AP bio exam would have served him no purpose. He doesn't need it for his degree and it would have just become elective credit with no gain. (Also as a side note, they should take chemistry before AP biology bc it is heavy in biochem. A solid physics background is advantageous as well.)

He also graduate with 6 foreign lang credits. Not planned, but it happened. He didn't take a single class prior to 7th grade.

All of that is a very long way of saying take a deep breath. You can educate from the point of view where children are motivating force and follow their natural inclinations and find out they can accomplish amazing things when simply allowed to blossom into who they are.

• Like 1