Menu

cloth sanitary pads -- what do you recommend?

Stacia

I do not sew, but would like some cloth sanitary pads. I see plenty on etsy, some through amazon, etc....

Which do you recommend (or dislike)? Any features to look for that make one kind better than another?

Thanks for any pointers.

(Links to websites, etsy sellers, etc... appreciated!)

I haven't tried these, but they sound good in theory because you wouldn't have to worry about twisting or bunching (which has been an issue for me with cloth pads). http://www.shethinx.com Anyone used them?

Those sound cool! No way would I use it alone, though. NoWayNoWayNoWay!

• Like 1

I haven't tried these, but they sound good in theory because you wouldn't have to worry about twisting or bunching (which has been an issue for me with cloth pads). http://www.shethinx.com Anyone used them?

Those do sound cool. Would love to hear if anyone has tried them.

I'm looking at cloth pads as a back up for tampons while running. Regular, store-bought pads give me a rash when sweaty (sorry if that's tmi), so they really don't work for running.

• Like 1

Those sound cool! No way would I use it alone, though. NoWayNoWayNoWay!

I couldn't either, because I have very heavy periods. But I would love them as a back-up measure, because I have been in some unpleasant situations which could have been avoided with something like that. And maybe those with lighter periods could use them alone?

(Actually I'm on a medication right now that has stopped my periods, which is wonderful, but I'm not sure how long that will last.)

• Like 1

Those do sound cool. Would love to hear if anyone has tried them.

I'm looking at cloth pads as a back up for tampons while running. Regular, store-bought pads give me a rash when sweaty (sorry if that's tmi), so they really don't work for running.

In that case I like Luna pads. I use them as a back-up for a diva cup. The soft material is nice.

Can I piggyback a question here?  About how many cloth pads do you go through per period?  I was just looking at those cool period panties and thinking I'd have to have so many that it would be a massive investment for me, even though my period is only medium-heavy for 1-2 days.  I guess I never counted how many pads I actually use!  I'm curious what others need.

Can I piggyback a question here? About how many cloth pads do you go through per period? I was just looking at those cool period panties and thinking I'd have to have so many that it would be a massive investment for me, even though my period is only medium-heavy for 1-2 days. I guess I never counted how many pads I actually use! I'm curious what others need.

I have 12-15 pads and I never run out. I don't wait to wash them, though. They just go in with the next load of hot. I don't wear them exclusively. When I will be gone for the day I eear disposables. I think a dozen woukd be fine.
  • Like 1

I tried out a similar product called Luna Panties (I don't know if they still make them?) by Luna Pads, and because the unders did not fit me well, I did not like them at all. Unders and fit are kind of a finicky thing, I think--moreso than pads.

I have some from Luna Pads and some from an Etsy maker that I can't remember anymore. They are fine. Minky topped ones are nice. So is bamboo velour.

• Like 1

Can I piggyback a question here? About how many cloth pads do you go through per period? I was just looking at those cool period panties and thinking I'd have to have so many that it would be a massive investment for me, even though my period is only medium-heavy for 1-2 days. I guess I never counted how many pads I actually use! I'm curious what others need.

I think the easiest thing to do is guesstimate how many you need, round down, and buy that many. For a few months, keep disposables around and see how many you need in a month. Then buy a second round of pads with a better idea of what you like to round out the stash.

I have enough to get me through my period, but my period runs light. I don't throw them in the wash with everything because you should never use fabric softener with them, so they only go in with my towels.

• Like 1

I tried lots of different brands (including Party in My Pants and Lunapads) and found that they didn't stay in place well for me.  These do:

MamaBearBabyWear on Etsy

If you request darker colored flannel, they don't stain.  They are less expensive than other cloth brands, too, and are made by a homeschooling mom.  I highly recommend them!

I have about eight medium pads and a few pantiliners and that works well for me.  I do two or three wash loads of pads per cycle (tiny loads, but I prefer to wash them by themselves).  

If you're looking for a less irritating disposable alternative, Natracare pads are great.

I tried lots of different brands (including Party in My Pants and Lunapads) and found that they didn't stay in place well for me. These do:

MamaBearBabyWear on Etsy

If you request darker colored flannel, they don't stain. They are less expensive than other cloth brands, too, and are made by a homeschooling mom. I highly recommend them!

I have about eight medium pads and a few pantiliners and that works well for me. I do two or three wash loads of pads per cycle (tiny loads, but I prefer to wash them by themselves).

If you're looking for a less irritating disposable alternative, Natracare pads are great.

I'll 2nd the recommendation for Mama Bear Baby Wear. Excellent quality and price. Her toddler training pants are great too! (for potty training, not women's cycles, lol) .
  • Like 3