Menu

Sonlight Core 100 or something else?

Guest ctwells23

Guest ctwells23

Hi. I have a daughter going into 10th grade. She was in public school through sixth grade.  We used textbooks last year and we were not happy with the experience.  She really wants to do Sonlight this year as we did one core in the past and she liked it.  I was going to do world history this year and US history next. However, if she does Sonlight, I think she would need to do core 100 first.  My concerns are that she needs some writing instruction and I'm afraid Sonlight will not give her enough. I would also like some literature analysis and I'm not sure how much is covered with Sonlight. .  I considered doing the Bible and history portion and maybe doing Lightning Lit or LLATL for the language arts portion.  I also like the looks of MFW world history for this year but she thinks she would like Sonlight better. She likes to read and wants more than the textbook approach.  I get so confused trying to find what will work best for us.  I should also mention that I work part time and need something that she can do mostly independently. I do check her work and go over the things she has trouble with.  I would really appreciate any advice.

Guest ctwells23

Thanks. I am really leaning toward MFW world history for her although we missed the ancient world history.  This will be our first time using MFW if we go that route.  I've looked at so many different options, I am ready to just make a decision and be done.  She really wanted to do Sonlight because we used it when she was in eighth grade and she enjoyed it.  I didn't feel like there was enough direction on the writing assignments though and I need that.

If she really wants to use Sonlight, perhaps you could use Core 100 for history (Hakim with guides) and add on Center for Literature American Lit with writing to cover those subjects. 

http://www.centerforlit.com/Academy/home.aspx 

HTH :001_smile: 

BTW: CFL is offering a free summer session (if it isn't already full) which might give you a better feel for the classes.