Menu

Dog with anxiety + Fireworks?

MommaOfalotta

I have no idea what to do with my dog while we go see the fireworks tomorrow night. She is a big ol scaredy cat and last year we left her home in her cage. Well the windows were open and I guess someone around the house must have let some off and she freaked. Somehow she got out of her locked crate (door was still shut and locked when we got home), peed EVERYWHERE, chewed up a rug and ate a huge hole in our box springs. Oh, and a pillow. She's an 80 lb lab/pit mix.

SO, fast forward a year. We don't have her crate anymore (not that it mattered last year) and I don't want to leave her home to get scared. She gets anxiety with us being gone anyway. Last night people were already starting to let off firecrackers and such, but she didn't mind as much because I was here with her. So my options are pretty much to leave her home alone or take her with us. I don't want to do either because she will be scared either way.

Ideas?

ETA: I know the pet store sells some things to help with anxiety but we are pretty much tapped out until next paycheck.

I had a golden retriever who was terrified of fireworks until he got too deaf to hear them in his old age. I always stayed home with him and sent the rest of the family. Without trying it first, I would not necessarily trust some of the cheap remedies I have seen suggested, such as dosing her with Benadryl. With extensive training, you might be able to help her get over the fear, but not before tomorrow! I was always kind of happy to let my family go on without me and avoid the heat and crowds of Atlanta fireworks displays.

• Like 2

Drug the dog, stay home seem like the option available.

This is a sensitive subject for me (a non-dog person even). My mom had a dog terrified by fireworks and rehomed him with a friend when she moved. She made sure the person knew how terrified he was of fireworks but apparently this person went to a 4th picnic and party and left the dog home - and when she came home the dog had died. Makes me so sad and angry knowing how scared he must have been before he died.

Our dog is petrified of lightning, thunder, and fireworks (we have lived in FL the past two July 4th and we have had a trifecta of thunder, lighting, and fireworks each time). We have spent the past few July 4th holidays with him on our laps while the neighborhood is nuts with fireworks.  We have taken to just watching the Washington, DC or Boston fireworks on PBS.  He is on seizure medication so cannot take any of the prescription tranquilizers the vet would otherwise prescribe.

We have one that doesn't handle thunder or fireworks well.  He lets us know the storm is coming before we even heart.   The city display will be set off less then a mile from us tomorrow. (one advantage we get to sit home and watch it).   He will be drugged well with Rescue Remedy, in his Thunder Shirt, and he will be snuggled up with someone in the basement.  If for some reason someone is not available, we have his crate in the quietest spot in the basement as we have at least one neighbor that goes crazy with the fireworks all night.  

Since you say funds are limited, find Rescue Remedy and please let him cuddle up with someone he knows.  Don't leave him home alone.  

• Like 4

I have no idea what to do with my dog while we go see the fireworks tomorrow night. She is a big ol scaredy cat and last year we left her home in her cage. Well the windows were open and I guess someone around the house must have let some off and she freaked. Somehow she got out of her locked crate (door was still shut and locked when we got home), peed EVERYWHERE, chewed up a rug and ate a huge hole in our box springs. Oh, and a pillow. She's an 80 lb lab/pit mix.

SO, fast forward a year. We don't have her crate anymore (not that it mattered last year) and I don't want to leave her home to get scared. She gets anxiety with us being gone anyway. Last night people were already starting to let off firecrackers and such, but she didn't mind as much because I was here with her. So my options are pretty much to leave her home alone or take her with us. I don't want to do either because she will be scared either way.

Ideas?

ETA: I know the pet store sells some things to help with anxiety but we are pretty much tapped out until next paycheck.

Can you barter with someone for dog-sitting? Also, I'd call the vet and see if they can prescribe a pill without seeing her. They might if she's been in recently and it will probably be only a couple dollars.

We have a lab like this. She loves her kennel so if we we're gone we'll crate her. We also bought a Thunder Shirt (at PetsMart) and it seems to help some. So, she'll have that on. She takes daily Benadryl for allergies so we won't add to that at all. Mostly I try to put her crate somewhere quiet. I might add white noise too (a fan or a tv on) to drown the noise out more.

People have already mentioned that things we do for our anxious dog - thundershirt, medications.

In your case, since those things are not possible, I'd have someone stay with the dog.  Our vet told us not to reward fearful behavior - if the dog is shaking, don't sit and comfort him, etc., but but we plan to have somone home with him on nights we know he'll be scared.  (Can't necessarily do that for storms, but fireworks for sure.)   Just having someone around helps our dog a lot.

Can someone dog sit? Lights, music (that he likes), and the most quiet location you can leave him.

For the future, Thundershirt (though I don't know that I'd leave it on him unattended), Bach's Rescue Remedy, or a prescription anxiety medicine if that doesn't work.

Leaving him alone with nothing may be more expensive than kennel or dog sitter or medication. The damage sounds extensive and the dog could seriously harm himself.

Thanks everyone for the tips. I might ask my dad or someone to doggie sit for us. I really don't want to miss the fireworks since ds will really be able to enjoy them this year. Also I might add, anything she eats that is not her dog food, she pukes. I mean anything. One tiny little dog treat, nope. She throws it up. So I ruled out the "calming treats" from the pet store. I'll look more into your suggestions though. Thanks again!!

Do you have a neighbor who would be willing to sit with the dog while you are away? We don't go anywhere for Independence Day - mostly because we have a needy dog in our pack- and I would be more than willing to sit with a neighbor's frightened pooch!

Also, it wouldn't hurt anything to call the vet and see if they can give you a single dose of medication. If your dog has been seen recently, it should not be a problem.

I thing finding someone to,stay with the dog is your only real option.

An animal shelter in a town nearby has had similar issues for years because they are at the edge of town right near where the twin fireworks display is set off.

What the shelter does is 1. Foster out as many dogs as possible for the night to get them away from the fireworks. And 2. Staff and volunteers come in to the shelter and stay until the fireworks are finished. They basically try to distract the dogs to keep them from getting so upset.

• Like 1

People have already mentioned that things we do for our anxious dog - thundershirt, medications.

In your case, since those things are not possible, I'd have someone stay with the dog.  Our vet told us not to reward fearful behavior - if the dog is shaking, don't sit and comfort him, etc., but but we plan to have somone home with him on nights we know he'll be scared.  (Can't necessarily do that for storms, but fireworks for sure.)   Just having someone around helps our dog a lot.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in this topic -- The newer thinking by the experts in this area (animal behaviorists) is that we really can't reinforce fear in our dogs.

You can't reinforce fear:  dogs and thunderstorms

The myth of reinforcing fear

Reducing fear in your dog

As far as your choices -- I wouldn't leave a dog home alone if I knew she was going to be terrified.  She may be scared either way, but IMO she will be less scared with you than home alone.  Just be very, very careful to not let her bolt.

• Like 7

Just like with young children. Take your dog with you and park far enough away that you can see the pretty sky but not hear much in the way of the ka boom. If he's terrified by neighborhood fireworks he won't be happy at home.

• Like 2

What we do for Libby on her birthday (fourth of July, poor dog!)

Thundershirt

Melatonin (just takes the edge off of it for her)

Put her on a short leash because she can get to the point where she is running around in fear bashing into walls and furniture.  Keeping her tightly leashed keeps that from starting.

PS - you can make a DIY thundershirt out of a t-shirt   http://agilitynerd.com/blog/dog/health/TShirtAnxietyWrap.html

• Like 2

Just an FYI for anyone interested in this topic -- The newer thinking by the experts in this area (animal behaviorists) is that we really can't reinforce fear in our dogs.

You can't reinforce fear:  dogs and thunderstorms

The myth of reinforcing fear

Reducing fear in your dog

As far as your choices -- I wouldn't leave a dog home alone if I knew she was going to be terrified.  She may be scared either way, but IMO she will be less scared with you than home alone.  Just be very, very careful to not let her bolt.

Thank you for sending this.  I will be honest - we don't always follow the vet's advice. In fact, almost never.  But I didn't want to give bad advice - or what I thought was bad advice - here.  

We find it impossible not to try to comfort the dog when he is shaking with fear because of fireworks, thunder, etc.

• Like 1

Taking a dog to fireworks is something every animal group flat out says not to do. If I had a dog so frightened of fireworks, I'd have one person stay at home.

There's also the Thundershirt.

There's also meds from the vet for anxiety.

But at this point it's probably too late to do those things: I'd have one person stay home. I would not take a dog to the fireworks.

Alley

please don't consider taking her to a crowded area where they are setting off fireworks.  what would you do if she got loose from you in a crowd of people while having an anxiety attack?  please think of what she might do to other people.

if you're that concerned about her, having friends over to your house.

In your case, since those things are not possible, I'd have someone stay with the dog.  Our vet told us not to reward fearful behavior - if the dog is shaking, don't sit and comfort him, etc.,

is that like years ago drs told parents not to pick up their crying baby because it would 'reward' them and they'd cry again just to be picked up?

(that was a bunch of bunk . . .and made insecure babies)

• Like 3

Wow! I can't imagine a vet telling someone not to comfort a scared dog. I'd no more do that than not comfort a scared child. In fact, our vet encourages us to hold ours in firm hugs when there is a thunderstorm or fireworks. Not constantly but for a few minutes here and there to comfort him and make sure he knows we are there for him. One of us always stays home for the fireworks. Exception was when we were out of town. I paid the pet sitter extra to spend the entire evening with him on the 4th of July.

• Like 2

Wow! I can't imagine a vet telling someone not to comfort a scared dog. I'd no more do that than not comfort a scared child. In fact, our vet encourages us to hold ours in firm hugs when there is a thunderstorm or fireworks. Not constantly but for a few minutes here and there to comfort him and make sure he knows we are there for him. One of us always stays home for the fireworks. Exception was when we were out of town. I paid the pet sitter extra to spend the entire evening with him on the 4th of July.

"Don't reward fear" used to be the standard advice from vets and trainers.  Marbel's vet is far from alone in having made that recommendation.

• Like 1

"Don't reward fear" used to be the standard advice from vets and trainers.  Marbel's vet is far from alone in having made that recommendation.

used to be standard from pediatricians for handling crying babies too.  still disgusting advice.

• Like 3

used to be standard from pediatricians for handling crying babies too.  still disgusting advice.

AGREE! Just because these people are veterinarians doesn't make them all knowing about emotional issues. Not at all. In fact, if an ear, nose and throat dr. were talking to people about mental health he'd be brought before the board.

Vets need to know their scope.

One last thing: for YEARS doctors would look at patients with ulcers and tell them to reduce their stress only to finally listen to a guy who spent a decade trying to get the establishment to understand that bacteria causes ulcers. Not stress.

So we need to understand what my RN mom always told me, "Doctors and nurses -- and vets -- are only human." And can absolutely make mistakes.

Not comforting a frightened animal is insane.

Alley

• Like 1

Just curious, for those who said to "drug her".... drug her with what?

The best option is a prescription medication from your vet.  The problem is that it can take some playing around to find the drug that works best for a given dog.

Your OTC options are limited.  Some people use Benadryl because it makes most dogs sleepy.  But I wouldn't recommend it unless you've given it to your dog previously and know how she'll react.  It can have the opposite effect on some dogs and make them more excitable.  And I've seen some dogs that didn't seem to be affected at all by even a large dose.

The other best option IMO is melatonin.  It's widely used to help dogs with noise phobias.  Usually it will at least take the edge off a little, and I've known a few dogs who had an almost miraculous response.

• Like 2

Thank you :)

I've been looking online and have seen Melatonin used, but Rescue Remedy sounds really great. Unfortunately anything I order won't get here in time, we won't know how she will react to it (so I wont want to leave her alone) and of course, dh will say we don't have the extra $$.

Looks like we need a dog sitter. Ugh I'd rather stay with her myself but I don't want to miss my kids seeing the fireworks (even though I, personally, hate the whole process) and I don't want dh to stay home because then I'm on my own with his family for hours. Lol. Ugh, well thanks everyone! At least we know now what we need to do!

AGREE! Just because these people are veterinarians doesn't make them all knowing about emotional issues. Not at all. In fact, if an ear, nose and throat dr. were talking to people about mental health he'd be brought before the board.

Vets need to know their scope.

One last thing: for YEARS doctors would look at patients with ulcers and tell them to reduce their stress only to finally listen to a guy who spent a decade trying to get the establishment to understand that bacteria causes ulcers. Not stress.

So we need to understand what my RN mom always told me, "Doctors and nurses -- and vets -- are only human." And can absolutely make mistakes.

Not comforting a frightened animal is insane.

Alley

not to mention what the "establishment" did to semmelweiss because he insisted drs wash their hands before treating a patient years before pastuer "discovered" germs.

Thank you :)

I've been looking online and have seen Melatonin used, but Rescue Remedy sounds really great. Unfortunately anything I order won't get here in time, we won't know how she will react to it (so I wont want to leave her alone) and of course, dh will say we don't have the extra $$.

Looks like we need a dog sitter. Ugh I'd rather stay with her myself but I don't want to miss my kids seeing the fireworks (even though I, personally, hate the whole process) and I don't want dh to stay home because then I'm on my own with his family for hours. Lol. Ugh, well thanks everyone! At least we know now what we need to do!

FWIW, melatonin is inexpensive and you can buy it at any drug store or WalMart, Target, etc.  It'll be in the supplement section.  I've never known a dog to have a bad reaction to melatonin.  It either helps or it doesn't.

I'm not a fan of Rescue Remedy.  I've never personally known a pet that it had any effect on.

• Like 1

FWIW, melatonin is inexpensive and you can buy it at any drug store or WalMart, Target, etc.  It'll be in the supplement section.  I've never known a dog to have a bad reaction to melatonin.  It either helps or it doesn't.

I'm not a fan of Rescue Remedy.  I've never personally known a pet that it had any effect on.

Interesting! We may be trying some Melatonin. I can think of some other uses for it as well!

• Like 1

The best way to deal with these anxiety issues is to actively counter condition. The last of the three articles linked by Pawz in her first post by Dr Patricia McConnell gets at this when she describes how she trains with "Thunder treats." I'd advise reading this article carefully. 

http://thebark.com/content/reducing-fear-your-dog?page=2

The "good things" that happen in counter conditioning do not have to be food related (especially for a dog that pukes) but do need to be something the dog likes a good deal. Enthusiasm from the owner in this training is essential. This can not be underestimated. If one is not feeling happy and enthusiastic, fake it. The dog needs it.

When a "big sound" happens, one should acknowledge the event, then in a split-second quickly introduce the positive fun thing. Time delay is not your friend. The counter conditioning response must be immediate to be effective.

Note: this does not "reward fear." Rather it (re)conditions the dog to associate the "big noise" with pleasure and fun things. Even if the conditioning is "incomplete," one will move the baseline response.

Those of us with bird-dogs will generally condition our dogs for hunting conditions this way. A blank is fired, something good happens. Dogs/puppies quickly learn to associate the big noise with good times.

Obviously time is short, and conditioning is not something that happens overnight. Still, if someone is with the anxious dog (as I believe is a necessity) then that person ought to be mindful of how they use this opportunity. If every time there is a big noise the dog feels "acknowledged" then there are immediate positive actions (treats, play, positive engagement) it can turn around the mind in ways that are profound. And treat the problem at the source.

This is really worth doing.

While the vet's advice (at least as related in the thread) seems very poor, there is something that Dr McConnell (author of the earlier referenced article) calls "emotional contagion†that one does well to consider. In laymen's parlance it simply means a dog can/will pick up on its owners fears. A fearful owner can "negatively reward" a frightened dog by showing fear themselves and clutching onto the dog in a way that heightens (rather than diminishes) the anxiety. People can do this with children too. It is important (vitally so) to understand the distinction so one knows how to help a dog feel less anxious, as opposed to making things worse.

Act happy. The dog will pick up on that. Act anxious, same thing. If one needs to fake it, fake it.

Perhaps that Pharrell Williams' song would be a good soundtrack for the 4th?  

Bill (who has a splitting headache at the moment, and is trying to fake positivity :D )

• Like 7

Interesting! We may be trying some Melatonin. I can think of some other uses for it as well!

I've never tried this for a pet, but anxious and "would only take meds/supplements under threat" dudeling ASKED for it the second night (and many nights after) because it made such a difference for him with sleeping.

• Like 1

We were talking about this at home today.  My kids had better recall than I did.  Both vet and a trainer said not to comfort the dog, but to act normally - as if there was nothing going on to be afraid of.   The idea was that over time the dog would learn not to be afraid since we weren't afraid.  

ETA: Spycar said it already!

• Like 1

Thankfully, my little guy doesn't pay much attention to fireworks or thunder.  The fireworks were going off in our neighborhood for at least two hours.  He gave one little "woof" when the first one went off, and then he went back to sleep.  Two of our previous dogs were terrified (and all the counter conditioning in the world didn't help much), so it's a huge relief to have a dog who isn't bothered at all.

Mrs. Hound, I hope your dog did okay.

• Like 2

We did follow the counter-conditioning steps you outlined.  We had already been doing that somewhat but tried to be more systematic about it. We also gave him his meds and had the thundershirt on him.  He was pretty shaky anyway.  Everything was over by 10:00 and he went to bed in my closet, but about 11:00 someone started up again and he tried to smoosh himself into the wall. At that point I just sat on the floor and held him till it was all over. 

He's been a happy, lively dog all day today. 

• Like 1

Thankfully, my little guy doesn't pay much attention to fireworks or thunder.  The fireworks were going off in our neighborhood for at least two hours.  He gave one little "woof" when the first one went off, and then he went back to sleep.  Two of our previous dogs were terrified (and all the counter conditioning in the world didn't help much), so it's a huge relief to have a dog who isn't bothered at all.

Mrs. Hound, I hope your dog did okay.

Chester did one "woof," but I had a play tug at hand—acted all happy—had a fun play session that ebbed and flowed a little with the fireworks, and he was fine.

Then he had to listen to the Grateful Dead for a few hours, which must be traumatizing :D

Bill

• Like 1

Rocky has gotten much better now that he's going deaf (old dog).  ;)  Libby had a better night than usual due to our fireworks ban which most people respected.  She still slept with dd though and pressed up against her whenever one would go off.  I was not going to have my 13 year old try to play with her in the middle of the night past both of their bedtimes.  ;)  The bunny was panting a bit more than normal but seemed to be ok overall.  It is his first 4th of July so we weren't sure how he would do.  The cat doesn't care as long as he gets his normal kibble.  

• Like 1

We didn't have anyone to watch our Nya girl, so we left her home. We shut the windows and turned the AC on so that the noise wouldn't be as loud. We left her some chew toys out and kept the door to our bedroom open. We kept the main TV on for background noise and kept some night lights on as well. I was still pretty worried but when we got home... all was okay! No accidents in the house. The only thing she chewed up was a pop bottle. She was a little shaky/nervous but we praised her for being such a good girl. She got lots of pampering and even got to sleep in the bed with us last night.... which I will be regretting tonight, I'm sure. :laugh:

I think the widows being open last year was a big no no.. We honestly weren't even thinking about it and that was also our first summer with her after we rescued her. She also had been home alone last year, but this year she had another rescue (a kitty) to keep her company. All in all, everything is good!

We are definitely looking into all the suggestions mentioned though. She sure is an anxious girl.. poor thing. Thanks everyone for checking on her! I hope you all had a great 4th!

• Like 1

Our dog doesn't like fireworks, but he doesn't act fearful as in shaking - just barks at them and refuses to go outside to potty.  He is afraid of thunder and lightning, though and has to be in physical contact with someone to get through it.  

Last year, we gave Bear some Rescue Remedy and he slept through the fireworks (which are less than a mile from our house.)  This year, we did the same, but he just barked ferociously at the noise ... It's like he's saying "shut the F up already!"  We usually have one person stay home with the dog while the rest walk down to the fireworks.  We do close up the house to keep the noise low.  Unfortunately, once the city fireworks display is over, the yahoos shoot them off in their backyards.  The can keep us up until 2 am (even though the noise ordinances go into effect by 11 and even though backyard fireworks are illegal in our state.)   

• Like 1

Unfortunately, once the city fireworks display is over, the yahoos shoot them off in their backyards.  The can keep us up until 2 am (even though the noise ordinances go into effect by 11 and even though backyard fireworks are illegal in our state.)   

This is our situation. We don't live close enough for her to hear the big fireworks displays, but a couple houses in our neighborhood set off firecrackers or whatever and that's what she is hearing.