Menu

Recommendations for outsourced/online English Lit. & Comp. class?

Hello,

I would really love to outsource my ds English Lit and writing for next year.  He has finished 7th grade but he does not have strong writing or literature analysis skills.  I've been searching the boards for info regarding online classes.  A course that combines grammar, writing, vocab, lit analysis, & AP class in future is what I'm looking for. TPS ,Landry Academy and WTMA Writing classes.

If you have experience with these, or any others I am not aware of, I would truly appreciate your input: what you like or don't like, etc.

I am particularly interested in something that will help him in improving & growth in his lit. analysis & writing skills,meeting deadlines,responsible and prepare him adequately for AP class in the future.

I like Landry's classes but I can't pay full price for them for this year.Though I like its curriculum too much.

.For Writing I am interested in WTMA Expository writing prep but if my ds will do in Grade 7 Expository writing prep then how he could finish all Expository writings 1,2 & 3 of WTMA before High school.How to tackle this?or What should be the road map until high school?

For Literature,Grammer and Vocabulary- The Potters School English 1.Is this class rigorous enough to prepare for AP High school course?Is literature less in TPS?How to fix that if register for TPS English?Or any other option for online Literature -Tutoring with Grading also?

I have heard good reviews about  Ruth Ann Frederick but all her classes are full.Some are on waiting list so how to grab a spot on waiting list classes?Any idea?

How are these English teachers at TPS?

Kristy Massie

Abigail Gray

Lorri Wilke

Adria Day

Lori Talbert

Silas Schaeffer

Thanks.....

• Like 1

I'd recommend asking on the used books site on LA for generic semester to buy for 2015-2016 and take composition intermediate in the Spring. This fall I'd work through Elegant Essay, Daily Grams 9, and some Progeny Press study guides for literature and vocab.

• Like 1

The other ones I know of are Blue Tent Tutorials  (Honor English 2 is the one we used for a strong 10th grade writer) but both English 2 and 1  are currently full and Captive Thought Tutorials ( Intro to LIt) currently not offered. These classes seem to fill in March and April for future reference. I know that doesn't help now. They just have the topics you asked for. Blue Tent goes all the way to AP. I've also looked at Debra Bell's online classes.

• Like 1