Menu

Bored bored bored

Moxie

Why will the vacation be painful for the adults? :confused:

Can't you plan a vacation that will be fun for everyone?

:iagree:

Why not make sure the vacation is fun for everyone? 

As for the boring stuff, I am procrastinating my boring stuff right now by posting HERE. :lol:  I suppose I should get to the cleaning of the house and figure out a dinner plan before it's too late...

• Like 2

Planning a trip is boring?  Since when???

What's boring is being home after surgery and not being able to use your dominant hand for much for a week or so.  (sigh)

So much I'd like to be doing, but, of course, it can't get dirty or wet.  Try that on a farm or in the garden or life in general.

And... I don't get entertained much by TV.

I've been sleeping a bit - and playing computer games, but those get old too.

I probably should be planning our next trip, but I need to see what college costs are going to be first to know what budget I'm in and there's more medical questions to be answered yet.  When I plan I want to be able to PLAN - not wishful thinking!

• Like 4

Are you like me and don't do too well without some structure? I've been off of work since the last week of May and don't go back until the first week of September. I feel like I've just wasted so much time. My house isn't clean, my preschool materials are still awaiting organization and storage, and I haven't really done anything fun with dd. We did have a church weekend retreat, and I've seen some movies and such, but I need to add some structure to feel peaceful in my spirit. Too much that has to be done makes me feel anxious and unsettled. Are you the same way? I see it as boredom, but it's really anxiety that has burrowed deep under my feelings!

• Like 4

Blah, all the stuff that is supposed to be fun feels like work.  As for the vacation, it will be fun for the adults in as much as watching your kids have fun is enjoyable.  Theme parks are just not my thing but the big kids love them and someone has to walk around with the little kids so I have to go and have BIG FUN!!  At least there is ice cream! 

I have to be in the kiddie pool with the little one so no book or anything except watching DD play in the water.  Which is enjoyable but not fun, kwim??  And the work to get everyone out the door is ridiculous. 

Blah, all the stuff that is supposed to be fun feels like work.  As for the vacation, it will be fun for the adults in as much as watching your kids have fun is enjoyable.  Theme parks are just not my thing but the big kids love them and someone has to walk around with the little kids so I have to go and have BIG FUN!!  At least there is ice cream! 

I have to be in the kiddie pool with the little one so no book or anything except watching DD play in the water.  Which is enjoyable but not fun, kwim??  And the work to get everyone out the door is ridiculous. 

(Sigh) I absolutely loved watching my kids have fun at theme parks when they were little.  We have some great memories of those days.

We also have fun now that they are adults, but it's absolutely different and far more fleeting now that they have their own lives most of the year.

But then again, I suspect there are some who think it'd be awesome to "have" to do nothing except sleep, be on the computer (somewhat - lots of right hand action is out), or watch TV all day too, so it mainly shows just how different we all are.

I'm also cheating.  I'm outside watching our young ponies play together (as I type).  They're having a blast.  It probably beats the kiddie pool.  ;)

• Like 4

Blah, all the stuff that is supposed to be fun feels like work. As for the vacation, it will be fun for the adults in as much as watching your kids have fun is enjoyable. Theme parks are just not my thing but the big kids love them and someone has to walk around with the little kids so I have to go and have BIG FUN!! At least there is ice cream!

I have to be in the kiddie pool with the little one so no book or anything except watching DD play in the water. Which is enjoyable but not fun, kwim?? And the work to get everyone out the door is ridiculous.

I have had some of my very best times watching my kid have fun. I wouldn't enjoy a vacation where my son wasn't having a great time.

It sounds like you would prefer to have a vacation that is more about what you want for yourself, so is there any possibility that you can carve out a bit of free time during the vacation to do something you feel like doing, even if it's nothing more than having a few hours to yourself?

• Like 1

Blah, all the stuff that is supposed to be fun feels like work. As for the vacation, it will be fun for the adults in as much as watching your kids have fun is enjoyable. Theme parks are just not my thing but the big kids love them and someone has to walk around with the little kids so I have to go and have BIG FUN!! At least there is ice cream!

I have to be in the kiddie pool with the little one so no book or anything except watching DD play in the water. Which is enjoyable but not fun, kwim?? And the work to get everyone out the door is ridiculous.

Swimming with littles is exhausting. I enjoy it for the first hour or so then my brain gets fatigued from having to be constantly vigilant. I tend to daydream which doesn't work for swimming supervision.

Is there any chance you can get out without the kids somewhere for a couple of hours. When dh has been working too much I start feeling down like that, and getting some me time makes a world of difference!

• Like 1

Moxie -- I get it. Theme parks are not my thing.

I love this site for family travel: FamilyVacationCritic.com

I've used them several times for ideas, hotels and more.

One suggestion: do something that combines kid and adult stuff. Can you say somewhere near a spa? Even if you don't stay at the Ritz-Carlton, ALL of their spas give you a day pass. You don't even buy a treatment. For like $50 you can use their spa amenities all day which usually means an adult quiet pool -- some w/ under water music -- whirlpools, steam rooms, workout rooms -- that kind of thing.

I'd try to combine. I also love libraries and I think it's fun to hit the local library. I know, I'm weird.

Alley

How's today Moxie?

I'm wondering if perhaps it isn't/wasn't really boredom as much as frustration at not getting your "me" time as a PP mentioned?

I know I needed "me" time regularly when my kids were young or I'd get very cranky and couldn't stop myself from having a short fuse.  I still need it even empty nesting.  If you're not getting it, it's really worth it to speak up to whoever is around you (hubby?) and ensure that you get it, both at home and, if needed, on vacation.  "Couple time" is good too - not just for teA, but also just to get out and enjoy yourselves similar to how you did when you were dating.  If no one is around who can help for free, there are always babysitters.  Some resorts also provide options when on vacation.

Being a parent or "the" parent 24/7/365 can be very draining and make otherwise fun things seem like a chore.  I suspect that happens to all of us, and I definitely recommend fixing the problem over purely venting (though venting is useful too - for a time).

I'm about finished with my boredom now (and celebrating).  For totally unknown reasons, the surgery on this hand is recovering 100x better than it did with my first hand.  I don't know if it's the difference between dominant (this one) vs not or if something different happened during the surgery or what, but I'm thrilled.

Now my major challenge is just not getting it dirty or wet (until Tuesday).  It actually was easier to back off from doing things when pain reminded me I had a reason for it.  Now it's a mental challenge not to unwrap it and just consider it all "done" as that's very tempting.  Very, very tempting.  I'd best quit thinking about that possibility.

But that's boredom.  It's fleeting and it usually has a cause that ends.

Frustration continues if the source doesn't change.  Frustration builds and the end results are often not pretty for anyone.

Either way, best wishes to you.

• Like 2

I'm sorry you're going through a bad time. We always tried to plan vacations that everyone would enjoy. We've never done Disney but have gone to amusement parks, a couple times in conjunction with a vacation. Most of our family vacations focus on enjoying nature: the mountains, national parks, the ocean. We've loved hiking together. Even if we had to take the easier trails for the little kids (and for Mom or Dad carrying a little one in a backpack) the scenery was still breathtaking. Would you enjoy getting out in nature with your dh and kids?

I hope you can find a way to work through your frustration/boredom and find some personal time while still enjoying motherhood. {{{Hugs}}}

• Like 1

Why will the vacation be painful for the adults? :confused:

Can't you plan a vacation that will be fun for everyone?

I'm in the same boat. Four kids ages almost 12-1. Five if you count the nearly 40 year old. ;) It's difficult to find things that will make everyone happy. Hotels to fit that many. Packing everyone. Keeping up with everyone. Trying to get little ones to sleep and eat in strange places. And if they're asleep, I still have to be with them. It's more work and stress for me than doing all of this at home. With different scenery! And nowhere for this introvert to escape.

Yes, I do love watching my kids have fun, but that is the only part of "vacation" that is remotely enjoyable at this time in my life. And finding moments where everyone is happy and I'm able to pause and enjoy it? Hahahahahahaha. Someone's going to be having a meltdown or needing to poop or... We had two lovely trips with just my two older kids before the little ones were born. They were reliably PTed, past naps, and relatively flexible. Eventually, hopefully, the younger ones will get to that point. Right? One day? :P

We have a colleague with one child who brings his nanny along on trips. He doesn't understand why DH and I aren't able to do anything adult-oriented on "vacation." Honestly, a vacation for me would = sleeping through the night and using the restroom alone. Standards are very low here at the moment. ;)

• Like 3

Packing everyone. Keeping up with everyone. Trying to get little ones to sleep and eat in strange places. And if they're asleep, I still have to be with them. It's more work and stress for me than doing all of this at home. With different scenery! And nowhere for this introvert to escape.

I hear you!

I'm in the same boat. Four kids ages almost 12-1. Five if you count the nearly 40 year old. ;) It's difficult to find things that will make everyone happy. Hotels to fit that many. Packing everyone. Keeping up with everyone. Trying to get little ones to sleep and eat in strange places. And if they're asleep, I still have to be with them. It's more work and stress for me than doing all of this at home. With different scenery! And nowhere for this introvert to escape.

Why is it always you?  Why couldn't it be the 40 year old at times?  Or a paid babysitter?

Are we abnormal that hubby and I shared parenting duties even when our kids were small?  The only thing he was incapable of doing was nursing and we worked around that when needed.

• Like 1

Why is it always you? Why couldn't it be the 40 year old at times? Or a paid babysitter?

Are we abnormal that hubby and I shared parenting duties even when our kids were small? The only thing he was incapable of doing was nursing and we worked around that when needed.

I've never used a babysitter on vacation. I don't know that I'd be comfortable with a total stranger, and we can't afford to bring one with us. That would be heavenly if we hit the lotto! I'm sure DH would stay with the little ones, but he's the one I'd want to spend time with if we were off somewhere. I can't think of anywhere I've been where I would be excited to go off alone for an hour at 10pm. DH is very hands-on with the kids, but he doesn't lactate. My youngest is exclusively nursed and isn't able to eat dairy or soy yet. She still nurses to sleep and during the night. Once the kids are older, he handles much more, but there are limits to his awesomeness. Right now, at this age, the work of the two little ones is more on me than him. He's also willing and able to pack. He totally sucks at it, but he'd do it. ;) I'm faster and more efficient. It seems silly to waste his time off work just for the sake of making him pack.

I wasn't bitching about my DH. I was commiserating with Moxie and explaining my view to people who seem shocked that vacation would be seen as anything other than a rocking good time. :)

• Like 1

I was commiserating with Moxie and explaining my view to people who seem shocked that vacation would be seen as anything other than a rocking good time. :)

I'm reading and learning.  Being a travel junkie, I'm totally unfamiliar with the idea that any vacation isn't a good time - even with young children.  We started traveling with ours before they were a month or two old and never stopped.

The only time we used "babysitters" when traveling was when my mom came along (a handful of trips, but not many) and at Disney or on a ferry when there were "clubs" for youngsters (not very young, but by age 3 or 4).  Hubby and I did modify what we did based upon our kid's ages and capabilities.

I soaked up my "me" time when we were at home.  He did too.  There was no schedule.  We just adjusted as we needed to - never afraid to mention when it was needed.

We also got away - just the two of us - for our anniversary each year.  Ok, most years.  The year each child was born they went with us because I didn't want my mom to have to take care of a really young youngster and a couple of anniversary trips we took the whole family for various reasons.  Hubby and I got off to dinner by ourselves those years.

That's my experience.  The Hive is good for reading and gleaning from the inside lives of others who are genetically different.  ;)

For me, traveling with the dc is not fun.

So.much.stuff to pack.

Hotels are expensive; we need two rooms.

Bathroom breaks -- with 5 girls!!! -- take forever.

Carsickness.

Food allergies.

Grandpa's house isn't childproofed.

Yeah, I get it.  Not really a vacation.

Traveling with little kids is SO much work, and many times I felt it wasn't worth it. BUT, my kids have such awesome memories of those trips. They look at photos of them, talk about them fondly, etc. So, I just keep my mouth shut about what a PITA it was for me, because, well, they're happy with the memories!  :)

The best thing we ever did was vacationing for 5 years in a row with another close family. The kids played together, we moms had company when the littles needed to nap, the husbands hung out. It was wonderful! Still a PITA to get things ready and such, but while we were together it actually felt like vacation to me.

Now that the kids are older, vacations are easier. Everyone packs for themselves, supervises themselves, eats what and when they want, and dh and I can actually go out on our own.

Moxie, and others with little kids: hang in there---it gets better!!!

• Like 2

The first thing I thought after reading your title: if you're so bored I'll give you something to do! :)

Can we help plan the vacation? That sounds fun to me. Better than school work IMO.

I have never understood this line of thinking.  Just having something to do doesn't mean I am not bored.  There are lots of monotonous, mundane things that need to be done.  I just don't enjoy doing them.

• Like 2

We are going to go camping later on this summer.yea. Can't wait. Bugs, heat, sweat, no shower, I'm jumping up and down for joy. Ugh. My kids are so excited. So is dh. Please leave me home!!! Whaaa

Just stay home! That is what my mom did when we went camping. And dad stayed home when mom took us to the beach because he hated the beach.