Menu

First time rego NSW, Aust.

I'm preparing to register DS for the first time, and I'm looking at the new NSW syllabus for History. I *really* don't want to deliver the content at each stage in that order. Must I? I'd strongly prefer to do a roughly classical rotation, with lots of Australian content in the fourth year of the cycle. Can I write up a plan which addresses all the content from stages 1-5 in a different (chronological) order, so long as I plan to meet the outcomes associated with each stage as we go?

If you've registered in NSW, please offer me any insight you may have!

I am registered with the BOS in NSW and have had fairly flexible APs over the years who have approved our application to homeschool for the maximum period even though we do history chronologically. I do, however, make an effort to help them to be able to tick the required boxes by including a smattering of Australian content throughout.

You should also know that my children are in Year 7 and 10, and we were well established before the new Australian Curriculum was rolled out. I have also heard that some APs may have a different outlook to ours. You might like to visit Aussie Homeschool Forum where registration requirements in NSW are regularly discussed by families with children currently placed in a wider range of stages than mine.

• Like 1

We have also registered a few times now in NSW, and also have had a great AP. I'm gathering that across NSW, how the AP's interpret the registration requirements can vary quite widely. Ours told us to use the stage statements instead of the outcomes, and just really wanted to see that we had read the syllabus, had a plan for teaching something, and then a plan for checking that the kids had learned something. But I'm hearing others saying that AP's are requiring outcomes matched to daily learning activities (which I think is crazy, as that isn't really what they are designed for, but that's a personal opinion, not an official one :D ).

As speed cleaner said, the Aussie Homeschool forum may be of more help, but contacting a local registered homeschooler might help as well - they can tell you what the AP is like in terms of requirements. If you don't know any, you can post on the Homeschool Australia facebook page, and they will also be able to put you in contact with someone.

• Like 2

Thanks, people. Another boardie PMed me with the link to the Aussie Homeschool Forum too. I'll head over and see what I can find. Sounds like it really just depends on the AP, though. *sigh*

Thanks jobos for the suggestion to ask locals about the AP here. I have heard rumours that we have a new one, so I was hoping to just find out how much is required of me, and be sure that I've prepared adequately, regardless of the person. Alas. -_-

You could always move to Tasmania where we have one of the world's best homeschooling systems! ;)  (which is amazing, considering how ducked up some others things are down here...)

I have heard similar similar things about NSW, that even though the requirements are strict it depends a lot on whom you get, so I would second the suggestion of talking to as many locals as you can. 

• Like 1

Brrrrr Tassie. So chilly. I'm literally shivering just thinking about it. I'll probably end up back in Melbourne at some point though, which is really not that much better for temperature, but fab for homeschooling.

Hey Isabel, I think I actually met you once, almost five years ago. I was house-sitting for a mutual friend in the Huon Valley, and you came by to check on me because my baby was sick. Sound familiar? :)

The local consensus seems to be that nobody really knows for sure who the AP is now and what they're like. Ho hum.