Menu

How do I get poison ivy off my dog who had surgery recently?

Momofeat

I guess my topic says it all. Dd(12) has poison ivy, and we're pretty sure she got it from the dog. The dog still has stitches from a recent surgery, so we can't give her a bath.

We came to this realization after the vet's office closed this evening, but we would like to clean it off the dog tonight, if possible.

Thanks for any advice!

Thanks. That's what we've been talking about doing, but we're wondered if it would be enough, and if regular dog shampoo is enough.

I heard that you might have to do it two or times for it to be enough.  So maybe wash, rinse, repeat two more times?  Make sure you wash the towel you use on the dog and don't touch it or use it on anyone else.  

• Like 1

:scared:  Poor dog!  No advice, though Jean's sounds good.  I hope you can keep it off yourself!

Just to clarify: The dog isn't showing any reaction to the poison ivy--but my dd is. We're pretty sure that the dog is the culprit because she (the dog, not dd) has been traipsing through our woods. We had not thought about poison ivy until dd started having a reaction.

Of course, this week happens to be the one where my oldest dd is gone on a mission trip, and my ds & I are spending a lot of time at baseball camp. The allergic dd is the one spending the most time with the poison ivy-infested dog. We don't want to isolate her from dd if we can help it.

We've been washing everything we can think of, and now dh is trying the sponge bath. Hopefully that stop it in its tracks without irritating the incision.