Menu

s/o Is it appropriate to take a concealed weapon into someone else's home

Amira

It appears that many states allow concealed carry on private property, including homes, unless the owner posts a sign stating otherwise or verbally states that guns aren't allowed.  Even if it is legal for someone to carry a concealed weapon into someone else's home without asking, do you think it's appropriate to do so?

Yes, I don't honestly see what difference it makes.  It's not like people carrying a concealed weapon are likely to whip it out in your house.  I assume it would stay concealed just like a lot of other things nobody needs to know about under our clothes.  ;)

• Like 17

I have to admit I was surprised to discover that so many states place the burden on the property owner to keep concealed weapons out rather than requiring the gun carrier to ask permission to enter a private home with a gun.  I'm less uncomfortable with the idea that businesses must post a sign, but it seems that private homes should be off limits without stated permission to carry.  I don't understand this thinking and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why they disagree with me.

• Like 8

I have to admit I was surprised to discover that so many states place the burden on the property owner to keep concealed weapons out rather than requiring the gun carrier to ask permission to enter a private home with a gun.  I'm less uncomfortable with the idea that businesses must post a sign, but it seems that private homes should be off limits without stated permission to carry.  I don't understand this thinking and I'd appreciate it if someone could explain why they disagree with me.

I guess it's hard to explain why something is *not* a problem in my view.  Why do you think it is a problem?  Assuming they are carrying it legally.

• Like 1

When there are young children in the home, I expect to be told they are CC.  If it is just adults/teens, I don't care.

We have friends who CC and we let them nicely that when our kids were little, we would appreciate it if they would not CC in our home.  We don't really have casual friends stopping by, so the people who come to our home are all more like uncles to our kids. Our reasoning is that little kids can sometimes run and jump on top of people who they are used to wrestling/playing with.  I would rather that there not be a loaded gun (even if it is holstered/safety on) in the mix with my kid.  Everyone here completely understood.  

We had one friend who was always CC, and he would just have us secure his weapon in our home. 

I grew up hunting/fishing and own weapons myself.  I do not have a fear of them, but also respect the fact that they don't belong in the midst of an impromptu superman jump.

• Like 9

I do not consider it appropriate to bring guns into a private home without the owner's permission.

Yes, I don't honestly see what difference it makes.  It's not like people carrying a concealed weapon are likely to whip it out in your house.  I assume it would stay concealed just like a lot of other things nobody needs to know about under our clothes.  ;)

Concealed carry does not necessarily mean the weapon is carried directly on the body. The owner can carry it in a purse or bag. Which can be set down and left unsupervised...with potentially fatal consequences.

No way.

• Like 33

I guess it's hard to explain why something is *not* a problem in my view.  Why do you think it is a problem?  Assuming they are carrying it legally.

I do not want guns in my home whether they're brought in legally or not.  Why should the weapon carrier get to choose whether I have a gun in my own home or not?

• Like 26

I don't have a problem with it. Like SKL, if I realized a guest was carrying, I'd probably say "Oh, how cool." Then I'd probably follow up with questions about exactly what type of gun it was, how they liked it, and what made them choose it instead of another gun for concealed carry. More likely than not, I'd ask them to pull it out and let me see (and possibly hold) it.

The whole idea of concealed carry is that you can carry it without anyone ever knowing you have it. It doesn't pose a danger to anyone in the house, unless you've invited an untrustworthy guest anyway. In fact, it's safer for the guest to carry the gun in, concealed on his person, than to leave it in the car where it could be stolen.

I would have an issue with an uninvited trespasser bringing a firearm onto my property--I'd be concerned about why he was there in the first place, and the availability of a weapon to a stranger with unknown motives who's already breaking the law would be more concerning.

• Like 5

Okay, I wasn't clear enough.

Hell no.

If you don't know me well enough for me to know that you're carrying and giving you my consent, then you don't belong in my home.

I grew up in the home of a hunter. I am comfortable with firearms. I would be LIVID if someone brought firearms into my home without my knowledge. My children are in homes with guns frequently, but I am comfortable with that because I know that the guns are secured and that the owners are responsible.

• Like 13

I do not want guns in my home whether they're brought in legally or not.  Why should the weapon carrier get to choose whether I have a gun in my own home or not?

Just ignore. Some people just like arguing against whatever the majority opinion is. 

• Like 7

When there are young children in the home, I expect to be told they are CC.  If it is just adults/teens, I don't care.

We have friends who CC and we let them nicely that when our kids were little, we would appreciate it if they would not CC in our home.  We don't really have casual friends stopping by, so the people who come to our home are all more like uncles to our kids. Our reasoning is that little kids can sometimes run and jump on top of people who they are used to wrestling/playing with.  I would rather that there not be a loaded gun (even if it is holsters/safety on) in the mix with my kid.  Everyone here completely understood.  

We had one friend who was always CC, and he would just have us secure his weapon in our home. 

I grew up hunting/fishing and own weapons myself.  I do not have a fear of them, but also respect the fact that they don't belong in the midst of an impromptu superman jump.

I get you there - if it's someone likely to be in close contact with the kids like that.  My kids don't climb on people who come over to visit, but I could see where it could happen with a fun uncle.  I could also see where it would be an issue if the person slept over - could the gun get into other hands while he was asleep - but in general, those things just don't happen here.

It wouldn't bother me at all, but then I expect many people I know do have concealed guns with them.  I have many friends and relatives in law enforcement and many that are into guns as a hobby.  The only time it would bother me is if they are being unsafe.  Honestly, I wouldn't even think to tell someone about it.  I do not have a conceal carry permit, nor do I carry guns.

• Like 1

My MIL carried in her purse and we trained the kids to stay AWAY from her purse when she visited. She never assumed it was okay, she asked, and I was good with it because I grew up in a house where there was always a loaded gun somewhere and we never played with them. I wanted my kids to understand that guns are not toys.

My dh has his conceal and carry license. I can't imagine him ever volunteering the information that he is carrying to a homeowner because the entire point of conceal and carry is for others to not know. I'm not sure if the laws are like this everywhere, but I know that part of the law here in Texas is that the fact you are carrying a gun cannot be noticeable. In other words, no outline of a gun in your pants or under your shirt, no visible holster, nothing that would indicate you have a gun. It took dh a lot of trial and error to find a handgun, holster, and place on his body that he could carry and fit within the parameters of the law. IOW, you would have no idea he had a gun on him. I don't even remember he has a gun on him when we are out and about 99% of the time. If he knew that a family didn't want him carrying in their home, he'd leave it under the seat of his truck.

• Like 11

My MIL carried in her purse and we trained the kids to stay AWAY from her purse when she visited. She never assumed it was okay, she asked, and I was good with it because I grew up in a house where there was always a loaded gun somewhere and we never played with them. I wanted my kids to understand that guns are not toys.

I am pretty sure the mother who concealed carried in her purse and ended up being shot in the head by her own child with her own gun also wanted her kid to understand that guns are not toys.

I would be very hesitant to trust in education alone with young children.

• Like 28

Then I guess you'd want to put up a sign if you lived in places where CC is not a big deal.

I don't want cigarettes in my house, but I don't feel like I have any say over who has them in their pocket.  I guess I just feel like it's none of my business what is legally concealed on someone's person, whether they are in my house or not.

If they pulled it out, the conversation might be different.  But I'm talking about a weapon that's concealed throughout the visit, which I think would be the norm, unless you were getting together to socialize about guns.

• Like 4

I am pretty sure the mother who concealed carried in her purse and ended up being shot in the head by her own child with her own gun also wanted her kid to understand that guns are not toys.

I would be very hesitant to trust in education alone with young children.

Agreed. We have guns, but a purse is not a safe place, unless it is on your body. They make special purses, with a lock, for concealed carry. Your relative needs to get one. http://www.amazon.com/Concealed-Carry-Purse-Locking-Compartment/dp/B006JQ7YQ2

Or, you could provide a safe for her to store her gun in while she is in your home. They are not particularly expensive. 

• Like 3

It never even occurred to me to be upset if someone had a concealed gun in my house.  I live in Texas so chances are very good I've been in contact with someone carrying.  I know many of my friends have guns so there's a good chance someone has been in my house with a concealed gun.  The point of concealed carry is that it is concealed.  It's specifically not allowed to be visible.

• Like 4

Then I guess you'd want to put up a sign if you lived in places where CC is not a big deal.

I don't want cigarettes in my house, but I don't feel like I have any say over who has them in their pocket. I guess I just feel like it's none of my business what is legally concealed on someone's person, whether they are in my house or not.

If they pulled it out, the conversation might be different. But I'm talking about a weapon that's concealed throughout the visit, which I think would be the norm, unless you were getting together to socialize about guns.

Those two things are not really comparable.

If someone brings cigarettes into my home they are not putting anyone at risk by virtue of the object being there. Guns put people at risk by their very presence.

• Like 9

Not if they stay properly locked and concealed.

I call BS.

The entire point of concealed carry is for the firearm to be easily, quickly available if needed.

In my home properly locked is in the gun safe, not on your person or in your bags.

• Like 2

I am first and foremost puzzled why anybody would feel the need to bring a gun into my home. As the hostess, I surely hope my guests do not fear for their lives when they are under my roof.

I was thinking people might have had them on their person for some other reason and made a stop at my house.  Once you have a gun on your person, as you go about your day, it's not like there are lots of good places to stash it while you go on a friendly visit.  It could be much more unsafe for a person to take out the gun and put it somewhere outside of his custody/view.

• Like 2

I am first and foremost puzzled why anybody would feel the need to bring a gun into my home. As the hostess, I surely hope my guests do not fear for their lives when they are under my roof.

For my dh it's just something he puts on every day as part of getting dressed. He goes all over Houston and our small town outside of Houston with it on his person. If he showed up to visit you for some reason, he would walk in with it on because he wouldn't even think about asking you about it. Nor would it mean that he thought something shady was going to happen at your home. To him it would be like saying, "Should I remove my underwear before I enter your home?" It's just part of his normal state of "attire" (not the right word, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for). You wouldn't even know he had it unless someone busted in your house while he was there and tried to harm you or dh. 

• Like 11

I was thinking people might have had them on their person for some other reason and made a stop at my house.  Once you have a gun on your person, as you go about your day, it's not like there are lots of good places to stash it while you go on a friendly visit.  It could be much more unsafe for a person to take out the gun and put it somewhere outside of his custody/view.

We have a locked drawer in my car, so we use that. Husband doesn't, so he has a lockbox in his car. Cheap and simple. Car is locked, box/drawer is locked. This is where he keeps it while he is at work (can't carry at his office), in a hospital, or at a friend's house. 

• Like 3

So do people who carry a concealed weapon really go about their day not thinking about their gun?  Do they forget to check for signs banning guns in stores?  Or to take it off before they enter a church or a school? 

• Like 2

So do people who carry a concealed weapon really go about their day not thinking about their gun?  Do they forget to check for signs banning guns in stores?  Or to take it off before they enter a church or a school? 

Of course not. It's not that he doesn't think about his gun. My dh is keenly aware of where he can carry. He is a preacher so he's in and out of hospitals a lot and always removes his gun. In a private residence, though, unless the home owner had something posted, he wouldn't give it a second thought because it's a private residence and he is not required by law to tell you he has it. The church building has no laws about conceal and carry nor is it posted that you can't carry there. My dh does not carry when he is preaching, but I would say that probably 1/3 of our congregation carries on Sunday mornings, both men and women.

The church building has no laws about conceal and carry nor is it posted that you can't carry there. My dh does not carry when he is preaching, but I would say that probably 1/3 of our congregation carries on Sunday mornings, both men and women.

Note to self:  Yet another reason to avoid organized religion.

• Like 12

We are gun people and I think it would be very inappropriate and highly inconsiderate to do so, given that there are so many different feelings about it.  We carry often (but not always) but we leave it in the car under the seat.  It's my feeling that it's totally unnecessary to take it IN.  I'd also be extremely worried that a little hand might find it's way into my purse if I had it and I don't want that responsibility or take the chance.  I only ever want the responsibility of it being in/on my own property...only.

• Like 5

Guns put people at risk by their very presence.

No they don't.  Never in history has a gun just fired on its own.  It is ALWAYS caused by a person touching it in a certain way (whether they mean to cause that or not is a different question).

The ignorance on this thread is just depressing, but not at all surprising.   Those of you in the US have certainly been in the presence of concealed pistols far more often than you are aware of, and somehow you live to tell about it.

When I go to someone's house, I don't declare the contents of my pockets: wallet, phone, gun, whatever.  I don't see why any one item is so much more controversial than the rest.  

• Like 11

We have a locked drawer in my car, so we use that. Husband doesn't, so he has a lockbox in his car. Cheap and simple. Car is locked, box/drawer is locked. This is where he keeps it while he is at work (can't carry at his office), in a hospital, or at a friend's house.

Yep.

One of my LEO relations is never without his ankle-holstered weapon. I have zero problem with him in my home because I know it is there and that he is properly trained in how to use it. When the kids were in the crawling stage and he liked to get down in the floor with them, he'd remove it and put it in the gun safe.

My FIL, who is also a LEO, is adamant that we not have weapons in the home while the kids were little and never any unsecured. He said he's gone on more coroner's calls for people injured by weapons kept in their home for safety than he's gone on calls for people who protected themselves with weapons in their home.

• Like 8

I know we had people who carried guns into the church I grew up with.  We had people shooting at the church and breaking our windows and certain people would leave to deal with the issue.

I am expecting we have people who carry in the church I attend now, though I don't know who they are.

Why should someone take their gun off to go into a church?

• Like 1