Menu

Do you get fully dressed each day?

yes, I don't wear makeup typically, but I am showered, dressed, hair done (braid or ponytail) and shoes on daily.  I work 5 days a week so that is a must, weekends my shoes are flip flops I wear in the house. I am not dressed to the 9's, but am typically presentable to open the door if the doorbell unexpectedly rings.

Agreeing with a few of the other posters who never (or almost never) wear makeup, jewelry, or perfume. I'm an always-in-a-bra type, comfortable clothing (whether in or going out), (mostly) clean-body type. I only wash my hair every other day or so, depending on the season & what I've been doing.

We encourage our kids to take their shoes off when they enter the house. We also encourage slippers in the cold months.

You will sometimes find my boys in yesterday's clothing if they didn't shower that morning as that's what they slept in.  :smash:  We've never been a huge PJ family. We have to bring extra shorts & t-shirts to hotels for nightwear in case of middle-of-the-night emergencies. (Had a storm knock out power to the hotel we were in on the way to pick up DD#1 from math camp the other week. *knock on wood* Haven't had a fire alarm go off in the middle of the night at a hotel in years, but I do still remember the shivering half-naked people standing around enough to insist on kids bringing stuff to sleep in.)

Clean underwear -- check.

Pants of some sort (usually cropped in hot weather) -- check.

T-shirt or other shirt I don't mind getting dirty and which allows for good arm movement -- check.

Slip-on shoes by the back door in case I go somewhere else -- check.

Hair brushed -- check.

MOST IMPORTANT -- SMILE! -- checkity check check check!

Yup, I get fully dressed each day!  (according to my definition)

• Like 6

Clean underwear -- check.

Pants of some sort (usually cropped in hot weather) -- check.

T-shirt or other shirt I don't mind getting dirty and which allows for good arm movement -- check.

Slip-on shoes by the back door in case I go somewhere else -- check.

Hair brushed -- check.

MOST IMPORTANT -- SMILE! -- checkity check check check!

Yup, I get fully dressed each day!  (according to my definition)

I wish I could like this many times.

My 4yo would check off the first and last on the list and call it a day. (Yes, I make her let me do something with her hair, and no I do not take her anywhere public like that.)

• Like 2

I wish I could like this many times.

My 4yo would check off the first and last on the list and call it a day. (Yes, I make her let me do something with her hair, and no I do not take her anywhere public like that.)

Arghety argh argh argh!   :laugh:

• Like 2

Yes, I dress daily. If I don't, I'm worthless :p If I'm in pajamas, all I want to do is be lazy. I will sometimes just *do* the day in workout clothes, but it isn't common. I do my make-up daily, at least before DH gets home :) I love my perfume and spritzing on a bit in the morning is a good way to kick-start my senses (along with the obligatory cup of coffee). My daily go-to is usually a comfortable skirt, a top, and flats or sandals; lately it's been shorts, a top, and sandals, because I need to grab a few more skirts when I get a chance. Hair is usually tossed up in a bun, but I'll wear it down when DH comes home, or if The Marvelous Flying Marco isn't too "pully" that day, lol.

• Like 1

I get fully dressed every day because jammies during the day time is like some kind of personal pet peeve of mine.  :lol:  Other than sick days, I have allowed my kids one pajama day in their lives.  When I had babies I never had them wearing "sleeper" type jammies during the day because I just can't even.  I know, I have issues.

Same here (the bolded part).  :) 

I get dressed every day, even if I only change from my jammies into stretchy pants and a big t-shirt.  And my babies NEVER went around in just a diaper or a sleeper.  I always dressed them every day.  When they got older they would occasionally wear their pajamas all day on Saturday or during summer vacation.  But I always insisted that they get washed and dressed each school day.

This thread has inspired me to possibly put a little more work into my morning routine actually. I learned about 3 years ago that if I spend the day in pyjamas I WILL feel sluggish and get less done (and actually proved it today, funnily enough, when the morning went crazy and I didn't get dressed, and I achieved a grand total of... nothing). I'm not judging anyone who CAN get the day done in pyjamas, in fact I'm jealous, but it's just not me, my personality doesn't lend itself to that (and in my case that may actually be influenced by some mental health issues)

But, I never put perfume on around the house, and im not always on top of doing my hair. The idea of smelling pretty helping to motivate me in the morning makes sense for me and my personality. It's not the clothes that change it, for me it's the act of taking care of myself, and feeling pretty and confident, it boosts my self esteem and, in turn, my motivation. 

• Like 1

I get dressed every day. Usually I go out early in the morning to the hospitals to see patients so I'm dressed like I would be to go to work. Most of my work clothes are comfortable enough that I'll just keep them on the rest of the day. If I'm cleaning or gardening I might change into yoga pants or sweats and a Tshirt. We don't wear shoes in the house so I don't count that as fully dressed. 

My boys don't wear pajamas but put on a clean Tshirt and underwear before going to bed and then just pull on shorts or pants in the morning. They think they have come up with the most genius way every to streamline their morning routine. My daughter used to change her clothes approximately 20 times a day so she was always in some state of fully dressed. She's cut back on that but she still is much more into picking the perfect outfit than any of the rest of us in the house. 

I go through seasons, I think. Right now I'm not working out as much as I was over winter, I'm at the gym 3 days a week instead of 6. So I wear more skirts and put together outfits, with makeup and hair. That'll change in September when I hit the gym hard again...It'll be more yoga pants and t-shirts. I never ever wear shoes around the house. I always feel so uncomfortable! 

For me, the best way to feel put together is to curl my eye lashes. I don't even need to do mascara all the time, just curling them makes my eyes look brighter. 

It depends. It's a rare day when I'm in my actual pj's all day. If I know we're staying in that day, I'll throw on something comfy and no makeup. If we're going out, I'll do makeup and an easy outfit. We don't wear shoes in the house. I will say I notice that I am more productive on days when I take the time to put myself together. 

Most mornings I dress, putting on a pair of capris and a tee shirt or casual blouse. If I am going out, I will put on a bit of make up (I wear bb cream, eyeliner, mascara, lip gloss), and do a little something with my hair. I take a shower every morning, sometimes one later in the evening too. I do not wear shoes in the house. Some mornings if I do not have any reason to go out and about, I stay in my pjs and just lounge a little that day.

My answer is pretty much like Misty's.  I want to be able to come and go in whatever I am wearing and to be pretty comfortable in whatever I am wearing.  I also don't want to be mortified when/if people show up at my door.  I spent at least one year doing school in my pjs and I hated the stress of worrying that someone might come to the door when my husband wasn't home to answer for me.

That being said, I just had a c-section on Tuesday so I am still in pj-ish clothing right now.  Jean bottoms don't sound comfortable right now, but I would put some on if I were going out somewhere or if someone were coming over.  I also almost always have a leisurely morning to unwind (especially now with a newborn to get used to) so I aim to be dressed by 12 at the latest.  Sometimes I am dressed early but not usually unless I have somewhere to be (which is also rare).

I shower every morning and get into one of 7 outfits I have or one of 2 church outfits.  I put on all my toiletries but I only wear full make up and jewelry on Sundays or for special occasions.  Most days I wear chapstick and lipgloss, mascara, and under eye concealer plus earrings and my watch.  If I am going out I may also wear a bracelet and/or necklace.  I do wear some kind of shoes almost every day but they are often something that slips on.  I rarely wear lace up shoes because that involves socks which makes me hot.  My shoes stay on at least until evening.  

If I don't feel well, though, I don't get dressed or if I begin feeling poorly later in the day I will undress and wear something like pjs.  I don't feel better when I dress up if I am hurting or very tired.  

I usually wear a skirt and a cute shirt that would be ok to wear in most places I would go and then I wear a little bit more dressy outfit for church.  Because I was just pregnant and had given away all my maternity bottoms I wore more capris and shorts because they were easier to find on consignment, but usually I wear mostly skirts because I find flowy or stretchy skirts to be more comfortable than pants or shorts and slightly more feminine and girly (which fits my personality).  I like feeling put together and naturally beautiful without looking over-done-up and fancy or being uncomfortable.  I wear my hear up most days in a messy bun or a bun or a pony tail, but it is clean.  My style takes minimum time and minimum products but makes the difference in how my skin and face feels and looks.  If I feel clean and presentable I feel much more productive and if I get nothing else done at least I don't look like a slob of a mom who doesn't care about herself.  

Now to work on nutrition.......

• Like 1

I think a lot of you have a much bigger clothing budget than I do. . .     Most of the time my "outfits" are chosen because those are the only things that I can find that are clean. . . .

I run a business selling second hand clothes. So, freebies!

But even before that, I was an avid thrift shopper, so $20 would buy me three or four dresses/outfits

Now, shoes on the other hand.... I've never owned more than two pair at a time. 

I get dressed everyday. This may have more to do with the fact that I tend to not wear anything to bed than any committment to a flylady type credo. So I have to put clothes on to leave the bedroom.

I do often wear an apron at home when cooking and doing chores. That's my flylady type thing I think.

I do not get dressed to my shoes in the house because we don't wear shoes in the house. Shoes go on last thing before leaving and off first thing when coming back home. We do leave the house more than 9 in 10 days so I am wearing shoes for some part of most days.

I am a very casual dresser and don't wear makeup or fuss with my hair at all. I rarely wear any jewelry besides my wedding rings.

Right now I have on an olive green skirt that hits below the knee and a black t-shirt. When I leave the house, I will put on Chaco sandals and put my hair in a ponytail.

I don't wear yoga or similar pants out of the house or gym unless I am working out. I wear mostly skirts in the spring/summer and mostly jeans in the fall/winter.

I honestly can't afford that many outfits. I wear yogas, compressions, and some form of tshirt/tank. If I am leaving the house for errands, I will change into a bit of a nicer outfit sometimes. I always change back into my comfy clothes and so do my kids when we return home. That way we can have a handful of nicer outfits and that's it.

We don't wear shoes in our house. It is a household rule. So no shoes. I don't require makeup, jewelry or perfume to feel dressed for the day. I feel ready for the day when I have consumed breakfast and have brushed my teeth and hair.

• Like 4

... but I do still remember the shivering half-naked people standing around enough to insist on kids bringing stuff to sleep in.)

This actually happened to us at a convention this last Thanksgiving.  Alarm went out at 2am and DH and I were in the hospitality room playing Cards against Humanity.  We were dressed for indoors and didn't have our car keys or coats.  It was pretty miserable.  The people that were sleeping were better off because they could sit in their cars with a heater.  

This morning I was reminded why I get dressed all the way to my shoes every single day.  I got dressed, but I hadn't put on my shoes yet because I was upstairs and the shoes were downstairs.  I had a load of folded laundry to put away so I was doing that when I slammed my pinky toe into my closet door.  I am such a klutz.  I broke it.  Again.  It started bruising immediately and was at a weird angle.  I've broken pinky toes so many times!  I immediately went downstairs and put on my shoes.  I can feel the toe is all swollen.  It hurts.  Stupid not wearing shoes lol

• Like 1

I am always surprised that so many equate getting dressed with uncomfortable clothing. You should never feel uncomfortable in your clothing! If it has straps that are falling or if there is a seam bothering you or if the fabric rubs you then something isn't right. I do a lot of thrifting for my clothing which really helps me not to be as worried if something accidental happens and it gets ruined. I also have clothes that only get worn outside of the house or on days when I know I won't be doing much housework. I have only recently really started caring. Part of it is I have aged and can very easily start to look worn down. I looked at my momma, my beautiful wonderful mamma and she makes very little effort to look nice most of the time. I hate it because it makes her look older than she is and almost like she has given up on looking pretty. I love my momma but I don't want to ever give up on it like she has. Part of it was a good friend reminding me that our clothing gives impressions and I want people to know that I am a happy mom who enjoys her family rather than looking bedraggled. Part of it is that I am always more productive when I feel put together. Part of it is that feeling pretty feels nice and part of it is that, while my husband has never belittled or commented on my looks when I look frumpy, he did come to me the other day and say, I just wanted you to know that you have looked so pretty these last few weeks and I love coming home to you looking like this. It's just nice even if not necessary to hear him say that :)

I had several babies close together, so for a long time I didn't get dressed if not leaving the house, and even when leaving the house I didn't usually put on makeup or jewerly. It was enough just to get everyone fed, diapers changed, toddlers and big kids occupied, and the minimum of house work done. I weighed the most I've ever weighed during those years, because I lived in stretchy waist yoga pants and didn't really notice my gradual weight gain.

Only in the last couple of years have all my kids gotten old enough for me to take better care of myself, and I feel so much better and more motivated when I do get dressed. I love fashion, makeup, and jewerly, so it's something nice I do for myself. On homeschooling days I am at home all day and have housework to do, so I don't wear my nicest outfits or jewerly but I do put on some jeans and a shirt that I feel good in and it really makes a difference in how productive I feel. I just throw on some jewerly or a scarf if I have to go run an errand or drop a kid off at a class to dress it up. In the summer, we're off school and I dress in jewerly and the whole deal just about every day because we're almost always gone for at least part of the day.

• Like 1

Well now I feel bad. For me, getting fully dressed is brushing my hair into a ponytail, pulling on jeans, and selecting one of several solid, plain tee shirts. I've thought about "trying" more, but I hate shopping and I especially hate having to choose clothes first thing in the morning.

We all get clean and dressed before breakfast though. And except for a couple times since the birth of my second baby when DH had to meticulously brush out the rat nest that had become my hair, we are ready to receive drop by guests each day.

• Like 2

I am at our local library.  One librarian is wearing a button-down shirt . . . with shorts.  Another is wearing a t-shirt with a funny saying about books and jeans and has her hair in a pony tail.  Another is wearing jeans with a slightly dressier tunic top.  I have a feeling I would have to move if I wanted to get as dressed up as someone you think is necessary!  

• 3 weeks later...

I get dressed daily because I don't feel like the day has started until I do. And I feel rotten and grimy if I haven't showered each morning. I actually wish I didn't feel this so much, because I'd like to be able to skip a shower here or there.

But... being dressed is always jeans. I do not wear any other kind of pants.

At home days are shower, air dry hair (not my preference, but a time issue), jeans and flowy tee or hoodie/sweater. Minimal or no makeup.

Going out days are shower, blow dry hair, make up (I lean on minimal basics), jeans and blousy top. Even if I'm teaching at our weekly women's group, it's dark wash jeans at most and I feel put together.

No shoes indoors, ever. We are Canadian. :)

I had a couple of pajama mornings this summer and my neighbor happened to come to the door both times. NOT my preference!

Yes. 
I either wear running short with a tank or tee, or a dress. I pin my hair up, and dab on a bit of makeup (I don't wear much).
We don't wear shoes in the house, but I read Flylady when I was engaged, and took that bit to heart. I'm a doer. Staying in my PJs all day doesn't appeal to me. 
When I'm recovering with a new baby, I do the same, but change into fresh PJs. But hair is up, face washed, showered, and all of that. 

DH goes to work and is surrounded all day by women who are dressed to the nines. Our belief is that it's important for DW to be out of PJ's in time for DH's arrival home in te evening.

Even before that, not getting dressed sends a message to the kids that we aren't taking our day seriously. Part of training them to be successful adults includes a morning routine of cleaning up, doing chores, and getting dressed for the day.

I know not everyone shares our views on this, but it seems to work so far! DH certainly appreciates it... :)

• Like 1

Every weekday for work.

Weekends I am wearing a bathing suit when it's hot and sweats and slippers when cold.

Like Ashadra, I have my out and about clothes and then house clothes. To me that is much easier because you can wear them more times.

I get dressed every day, but for me that's jeans and a t-shirt, hair in a pony tail-- no makeup or jewelry. That's all the same if I'm staying home or going out. No shoes though, barefoot or slippers in the house. Invariably if I stay in pj's that's when my inlaws unexpectedly stop by or we get a package I wasn't expecting, so I prefer to be dressed every day. :)

My son gets dressed every day and for him that's a t-shirt and sweat pants. He can't stand pj's and sleeps in a t-shirt.

Almost always. I have a desk and seat next to my bed so I sit up, take medication, get dressed, brush and pull up hair, put on hat if we're going out or having people over so I don't have worry about the frizz, and so on so I then hit the ground already going. It's taken me years to get this way though but I feel better for it. I do not wear makeup at all though as I have no energy for it or skill beyond ovedone theatre makeup - I now only own chapstick to help M-6 who gets bad eczema around her mouth and various nail polishes the kids have bought over the years. Shoes are only if we're leaving the house. I always wear my necklace even while sleeping so that's always there too. 

Today was one of the rare exceptions - I ended up changing into a nightgown so I could be extra comfy. Between struggling to remember new medications to get rid of my latest infection (I literally stared at it yesterday unable to remember if I'd taken it yet or not) and struggling with the emotions and logistics of my brother-in-law's funeral on top of usual bleh, extra comfy was a high need for me even though almost all of my wardrobe is picked with comfort in mine anyways.