Menu

Dr. Hive lower back pain

Slache

I woke up last Monday with a sore lower back so I tried yoga in an attempt to relieve pain. I experienced a sharp pain so severe that I fell to the floor and crawled to the tub for a warm bath, took pain medication, and then took a nap. Later I got up and the pain increased to the level of pain I was in when I was in labor with John (my more painful child). At this point I feared I had an injury and went to the ER. They took an x-ray, said I was fine, that I'd had a muscle spasm, sent me home with muscle relaxers and said I'd feel better in 2 days. Well, it's been a week and I'm not better. I felt about 50% better the next day, but have made no improvement since. I'm only comfortable lying on firm surfaces, and I absolutely cannot sit up. I sat in the car to go to work and was in tears by the time we got there.

To add to this my sister in law is flying in tonight and I can't go anywhere with her. So...

What's wrong with me and what do I do about it? I'm calling my primary care doctor now.

I have lived a life of dealing with severe muscle spasms.  Lots of gentle (at first) stretching helps, making sure you are getting magnesium and water, and foam rolling has worked wonders.  Now, when I exercise, my warm up stretches and cool down stretches take as long as the exercise itself.  if I don't stretch well, there's heck to pay.  

I had a similar experience once where I found myself on the floor and couldn't use my legs.  xrays showed nothing and I was sent for a 6th month round of physical therapy where i was taught a LOT about muscles use.  At the time I had just started running and as it turns out, my lower back does not tolerate it well, so I learned that most back pain is 'referred pain' where another muscles is angry but you feel it in the lower back.  For me, the hamstrings, hip flexors and periformis muscle refers pain there so I learned how to stretch those two muscles to loosen my lower back.  However, there are several other muscles that pull on the lower back and a PT can target that and assign specific stretches to help out.  I was also taught that a strong core will head off lower back problems. 

Are you doing any new physical activities?

I have lived a life of dealing with severe muscle spasms. Lots of gentle (at first) stretching helps, making sure you are getting magnesium and water, and foam rolling has worked wonders. Now, when I exercise, my warm up stretches and cool down stretches take as long as the exercise itself. if I don't stretch well, there's heck to pay.

I had a similar experience once where I found myself on the floor and couldn't use my legs. xrays showed nothing and I was sent for a 6th month round of physical therapy where i was taught a LOT about muscles use. At the time I had just started running and as it turns out, my lower back does not tolerate it well, so I learned that most back pain is 'referred pain' where another muscles is angry but you feel it in the lower back. For me, the hamstrings, hip flexors and periformis muscle refers pain there so I learned how to stretch those two muscles to loosen my lower back. However, there are several other muscles that pull on the lower back and a PT can target that and assign specific stretches to help out. I was also taught that a strong core will head off lower back problems.

Are you doing any new physical activities?

I just finished my first month of insanity max 30, but I've done insanity and P90X as well as many other intense programs. You think that even a week later it could still be just a spasm then?

• Like 1

Oh my goodness!!! [very very gentle] :grouphug:

After you see your primary care doctor, you might consider a chiropractor.

I'm asking for a referral tomorrow. I just got off the phone and I'm seeing my doctor at 8:30 in the morning.

• Like 1

A good chiro can fix you up in the shortest amount of time. Good PT comes next. In the olden days we put people on strict bed rest for a week with muscle relaxers and pain pills. So walk, sit when you have to in an upright kitchen type chair, spend time prone, gentle exercises until you feel better. Ice is nice. Some use ice and heat...I like the elastic ,wrap around your middle, back supports. You find them in the medical section of drug store or for in the building sections for people to use with heavy lifting . They wrap around and hold everything together until you start feeling a little better. It also helps to remember not to slouch.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

I just finished my first month of insanity max 30, but I've done insanity and P90X as well as many other intense programs. You think that even a week later it could still be just a spasm then?

In my experience, a really crazy spasm can last a REALLY long time.  I have problematic muscles that, when spasming, last months.  The only quick remedy I've found, after making sure my body has what it needs to soothe muscles, (mentioned above), is to correctly ID the muscle with issues and stretch, work, correct it.    OH and I forgot to mention something that REALLY helps as well is a warm bath with plenty of epsom salts and some baking soda in it.  That REALLY soothes things for and encourages everything to try to relax as you are working through therapies.

I also second chiropractic, but my chiros have told me that muscle-care is as important b/c muscles hold bones in place so they have to be fully functioning to keep their adjustments in line.  I haven't found all chiros to work extensively with muscles, so try to find one that does.  

I can only speak for myself, but I've done many of the exercise programs you listed and have certainly experienced suffering muscles afterwards.  Not sore muscles typical of exercise, but debilitating issues like you describe  Now that I know exactly what muscles give me the most problems, I still do such programs, but my problem-muscles get a ton of attention after the workouts to soothe them along so they don't spasm.  In fact, I have tried 6 times to become a runner but lower back pain and the spasms have forced me to throw the towel in SIX times.  I was so sad each time because my body responds the quickest when running.  This year, I decided to go from ou- o- shape to running a 5K with DS.  I was scared b/c I know my muscles don't tolerate running.  But I decided not to skimp on spending PLENTY of time with my problem muscles after each run and as long as I did that, I progressed.  I finally went on to being able to run that 5K and never suffered from muscles spasms.  All it took was a lot of muscle education and correctly ID'ing which were causing me a problem and working with them.  Sometimes it meant adding in that epsom soak, but it ALWAYS meant lots of water and magnesium and stretching.

• Like 1

In my experience, a really crazy spasm can last a REALLY long time. I have problematic muscles that, when spasming, last months. The only quick remedy I've found, after making sure my body has what it needs to soothe muscles, (mentioned above), is to correctly ID the muscle with issues and stretch, work, correct it. OH and I forgot to mention something that REALLY helps as well is a warm bath with plenty of epsom salts and some baking soda in it. That REALLY soothes things for and encourages everything to try to relax as you are working through therapies.

I also second chiropractic, but my chiros have told me that muscle-care is as important b/c muscles hold bones in place so they have to be fully functioning to keep their adjustments in line. I haven't found all chiros to work extensively with muscles, so try to find one that does.

I can only speak for myself, but I've done many of the exercise programs you listed and have certainly experienced suffering muscles afterwards. Not sore muscles typical of exercise, but debilitating issues like you describe Now that I know exactly what muscles give me the most problems, I still do such programs, but my problem-muscles get a ton of attention after the workouts to soothe them along so they don't spasm. In fact, I have tried 6 times to become a runner but lower back pain and the spasms have forced me to throw the towel in SIX times. I was so sad each time because my body responds the quickest when running. This year, I decided to go from ou- o- shape to running a 5K with DS. I was scared b/c I know my muscles don't tolerate running. But I decided not to skimp on spending PLENTY of time with my problem muscles after each run and as long as I did that, I progressed. I finally went on to being able to run that 5K and never suffered from muscles spasms. All it took was a lot of muscle education and correctly ID'ing which were causing me a problem and working with them. Sometimes it meant adding in that epsom soak, but it ALWAYS meant lots of water and magnesium and stretching.

Thank you so much. This is promising. I will soak tonight. I'll see my doctor tomorrow and I'll share your insights in hopes of figuring this all out.

• Like 1

My crippling back pain was dismissed by ER as being sciatica.

The next day I was carried out of my house on a stretcher.

I had two discs that had ruptured.

Glad to see you are going for another opinion.

This is not a joyful post. I think the x-ray would have caught that. I'm hoping it's a spasm. How did you rupture your disks?

This is not a joyful post. I think the x-ray would have caught that. I'm hoping it's a spasm. How did you rupture your disks?

I had to have an mri to show my back problems. An x-ray doesn't show soft tissue problems, just hard stuff like bones, at least this is my understanding.

I had to have an mri to show my back problems. An x-ray doesn't show soft tissue problems, just hard stuff like bones, at least this is my understanding.

Thanks for the info. I was going to bring up all possibilities tomorrow at my appointment since I'm no longer writhing in pain and can hold a conversation.

Thanks for the info. I was going to bring up all possibilities tomorrow at my appointment since I'm no longer writhing in pain and can hold a conversation.

How'd the appointment go??  Was just about to send you a pm and see how you were doing.  I'm so sorry instead to find this thread and hear that your back hasn't improved!   

Super gentle hugs, Slache.  :grouphug:

How'd the appointment go??  Was just about to send you a pm and see how you were doing.  I'm so sorry instead to find this thread and hear that your back hasn't improved!   

Super gentle hugs, Slache.  :grouphug:

The receptionist scheduled it incorrectly so I actually went yesterday and I was diagnosed with a lumbar strain, which is essentially her just saying this is the kind of muscle spasm you had and it's normal that you're still in pain. She pulled on my legs and feet to figure out which muscle it was so I could work on it better. She gave me a ton of muscle relaxers in case it happens again and a few more percocet as a just in case. She also refereed me to a chiropractor so that my insurance will pay for it and we had a discussion about good chiropractors versus bad ones.

I've been doing yoga and candmforever's epsom salt & baking soda baths every morning. I'm very mobile and in little pain, I just can't sit. My sister in law is in town and they went to the coast 2 days ago and to mount st helens today, but I can't sit for 2 hours so I stayed home. So far I've cleaned out the hall closet, linen closet, bedroom closet, kids toys, my jewelry, the dresser, nightstands, and bookshelves. So I'm not laying on floor in immeasurable pain, just tired of standing and laying down.

The receptionist scheduled it incorrectly so I actually went yesterday and I was diagnosed with a lumbar strain, which is essentially her just saying this is the kind of muscle spasm you had and it's normal that you're still in pain. She pulled on my legs and feet to figure out which muscle it was so I could work on it better. She gave me a ton of muscle relaxers in case it happens again and a few more percocet as a just in case. She also refereed me to a chiropractor so that my insurance will pay for it and we had a discussion about good chiropractors versus bad ones.

I've been doing yoga and candmforever's epsom salt & baking soda baths every morning. I'm very mobile and in little pain, I just can't sit. My sister in law is in town and they went to the coast 2 days ago and to mount st helens today, but I can't sit for 2 hours so I stayed home. So far I've cleaned out the hall closet, linen closet, bedroom closet, kids toys, my jewelry, the dresser, nightstands, and bookshelves. So I'm not laying on floor in immeasurable pain, just tired of standing and laying down.

So sorry, Slache.  You must hate missing out on the family trips.  

I'm glad it's not a disk or anything like that, and that you can be mobile without pain.  Just hoping for your sake that, well... your immobility returns too, and quickly.   ;)   I had that same problem (pain when sitting) while I was pregnant with #1.  It was surprisingly a huge nuisance and I hated it.  

BTW:  Gave you a shout-out at top of page 196 on the ITT.  Just for you.  Cuz your back hurts.  

So sorry, Slache.  You must hate missing out on the family trips.  

I'm glad it's not a disk or anything like that, and that you can be mobile without pain.  Just hoping for your sake that, well... your immobility returns too, and quickly.   ;)   I had that same problem (pain when sitting) while I was pregnant with #1.  It was surprisingly a huge nuisance and I hated it.  

BTW:  Gave you a shout-out at top of page 196 on the ITT.  Just for you.  Cuz your back hurts.  

I "liked" this until I saw the H in your post.  :glare: