Menu

I think I need to streamline my calendars

Moxie

And I'm not sure how.

This fall, I'll have two kids in private grade school, one kid in public high school, one kid being homeschooled and a 3yo.  That is a lot of schedules to juggle so calendars are important.

Right now, I have my planner.  I use it to track my to-do list, my cycles and anything the family doesn't need to know about.  I love my planner!! 

I have a large wall calendar in the kitchen and EVERYTHING we are doing goes on it--Dad working late, doctors, school dates, birthdays. 

I have the Cozi app which I don't love but I need to use so DH can see our schedule from work and because the planner and calendar don't leave the house like my phone does.

The problem is that I'll write something on the calendar but it won't make it into the app or vice versa.  And, since I don't really trust my system, I'm always second guessing and cross-checking back and forth.

How do you manage calendars?? 

With the Google calendar, you can keep separate calendars for different things that are all visible in one place, but can have different sharing settings. I have one with my own stuff that's not shared, and one with my kids' activities on it, which is shared with their father and my parents. I use Todoist (free) for my own to-do list, and each kid has one for their school tasks and chores, which I can see from own account as well. I use the Period Tracker app for my cycles, which is free and has lots of useful tracking features. So everything is accessible from my phone and can't get lost or miss an update.

• Like 1

Big honkin', old-fashioned, color-coded paper calendar, hung in the office so that everyone can see where they need to be, and when. We all manage to get where we have to be. It gets changed monthly, and we just photograph it and send it to whomever needs it electronically.

I have a Mac computer, an iPhone and an iPad.  The iCalendar syncs to all these devices.  When dd was at home, her iPad was synced to mine as well.

Each family member has a different color.

The items can over-lap each other, so I can see where everyone is at every minute of the day.

All birthdays and holidays are posted automatically.

I can easily slide events between times and days, or schedule events to repeat daily/weekly/monthly/whatever.

Whenever I add or change an event on one device, all the other devices are automatically updated.

I always have my phone with me, so I don't have to worry about checking my home calendar.  

My family can always access the calendar on my phone or iPad to find out where I am, or to add activities to the calendar, or whatever.

Most versatile system ever invented.  Definitely go electronic.  So much easier.

(I've never used google calendar, so I can't compare)