Menu

First day of summer break!

Eagle

We finished schoolwork yesterday. I am very much in need of a break, and I thought ds was too. I asked him what he wanted to do today: go to the beach, play in the yard, crafts, just relax....

He replied, "oooh! Let's pretend it's Pi Day and play math games all day long!!!"

... his backup plan is "do science". It's going to be a long summer.

• Like 5

We are in a heat wave here.   My DS10 wanted to make a new solar oven this summer.  Our old one was pizza box size.  He'll need to draw out his plans today and we go shopping tomorrow for parts. 

My DS10 spent all yesterday trying to do math using python :lol:   This kid wanted a graphing calculator to hack it.  My DS9 just want to spend all day lazing and swimming at our condo pool.

ETA:

An old Ikea lamp box is being repurposed as a solar oven :)

• Like 2

We are spending summer, by mutual agreement, shoring up DS's weakest area (writing) but it is more of an exercise in adjusting expectations for me, i.e. it's not going to take the form I have in mind. There are always projects running in the background here of some shape or other. One of them is actually writing-based stemming from his own interest! Sometimes I think I try to "create" things for him just because I miss being his primary teacher and that if I just continued to stay out of the way he will learn more efficiently and enjoyably than if I interfere too much. So...it's another summer where *I* learn how to manage my expectations (I seem to be having trouble learning this lesson).

Enough about me...DS is swimming, fencing, learning about film history and culture and rediscovering blogging.

• Like 3