Wishes

Has anyone used this program before?

http://www.zombiebased.com

As stated on the site:

Zombie-Based Curriculum features:
  • Designed for grades 4-8
  • 10 Units, 75 hours of Project-Based Learning instruction
  • Approx. 35% of instruction is projects
  • Designed by a Highly Qualified teacher in Social Studies and English Language Arts
  • Projects include skills needed for Common Core and other state standards:
    • complex texts, evidence-based argumentation, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking to solve real world problems
  • Based on 2012 National Geography Standards
  • Developed with Understanding by Design®
  • Comic book offers out of classroom engagement
Benefits:
  • Excellent supplement to add Geography to existing social studies program
  • Flexible to incorporate local geography or to expand globally
  • Incorporates Common Core skills across content areas beyond ELA
  • Designed for customization
  • Designed to encourage out of classroom informal learning

Obviously, the zombie element isn't for everyone but it would work for some. I've looked at the scope and sequence, compared it to geography standards, and it seems solid overall. When you go to the Interact site, where you can actually purchase the materials, there are three units of study. As I am not an expert in geography I would really appreciate knowing whether this is a complete program (at least for the grades it's intended).

Ds and I were looking at this and I thought it looked so cool. But also sort of expensive.

It is.  Maybe not out of line for a classroom in terms of cost, but for one or two kids, mmm yeah.

I already bought a bunch of geography stuff.  I probably spent that much, but then I got a bunch of stuff.

Maybe I'll write to the guy and recommend homeschool buyer's co-op to him.  I did that once and the guy actually did contact them and thanked me with some free stuff. 

• Like 2

So with the three sets, each roughly being 20 lessons apiece, that would be $45 for each set. Is that pretty expensive compared to other geography programs? I think I would probably only do one set a year.

Edited to clarify: From the response I understand it is expensive. However if each lesson takes anywhere from 6-10 hours which gives a total of 75 hours of instruction, how does that compare to other geography programs?

I read it as $135 (or $120 and print yourself) for 10 lessons. And he says clearly it's not enough for a year, even in a classroom, which means it's really not enough for a year in a homeschool setting. I think that seems pricey but reasonable for a school. Too much for me unless I lived in a state where I had charter money to spend or something.

• Like 1

I read it as $135 (or $120 and print yourself) for 10 lessons. And he says clearly it's not enough for a year, even in a classroom, which means it's really not enough for a year in a homeschool setting. I think that seems pricey but reasonable for a school. Too much for me unless I lived in a state where I had charter money to spend or something.

Exactly.  I wouldn't have any qualms about just calling that good for the year, but $135 for something that won't last a year.  Nah that's too much.

This year I bought a bunch of Geography books. It's probably enough stuff for 2 or more years and it wasn't that much. 

• Like 1

So with the three sets, each roughly being 20 lessons apiece, that would be $45 for each set. Is that pretty expensive compared to other geography programs? I think I would probably only do one set a year.

Edited to clarify: From the response I understand it is expensive. However if each lesson takes anywhere from 6-10 hours which gives a total of 75 hours of instruction, how does that compare to other geography programs?

Looking at this again, I'm confused. What are the 20 lessons. Are we looking at the same program? Here's the S&S from the Zombie Based Geography I'm familiar with. Is there *another* Zombie Based Geography out there? Because, if so, that's awesome in and of itself.

http://www.zombiebased.com/scope-and-sequence/

I can't compare it to much. There aren't a lot of homeschool secular geography programs past early elementary that I've seen. Things I'm familiar with are workbook type programs that are all well under $30 or $40 for enough practice for the year. Or they're things like Mapping the World by Heart which is not so much more than that. If you look on Rainbow Resource, most of the programs that come up at the start for world geography curricula are also less than $60 or $70.

ETA: The other thing which I implied, but I'll say more clearly is that a classroom "9 hours" of work could be 9 hours in a homeschool setting, but it also could easily be 1 hour. Some of them will inevitably be a lot less because they'll be discussions. Even an in depth discussion between a couple of kids and you can't go as long as a classroom discussion. But usually there are other things like comparing work and compiling answers. And there may be some activities you have to skip altogether, which is fine, but it means you're not paying for as much as it implies.

The two "sets" I have are the Trail Guide to World Geography from Cindy Wiggers.  There are various supplementary books that go along with it.  I have most of them including an art book and a cookbook.  Some I was able to buy used for very little.  Then I have the Walch Basic Geography set.  Granted the Walch set is pretty basic and low frills, but with the two different sets I didn't spend $135.  The way the Trail Guide is designed, it can actually be used for several years and many different levels.

Looking at this again, I'm confused. What are the 20 lessons. Are we looking at the same program? Here's the S&S from the Zombie Based Geography I'm familiar with. Is there *another* Zombie Based Geography out there? Because, if so, that's awesome in and of itself.

http://www.zombiebas...e-and-sequence/

I think maybe the Interact site is more clear. The scope and sequence seems to be primarily the first unit. On the Interact site there are clearly three units for $134.85.  Outbreak, Survival, Resettlement. Each unit has around 20 lessons and the lessons are anywhere between 4-10 hours each. 

http://www.interact-simulations.com/c/product.html?record@TF45481[email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

The two "sets" I have are the Trail Guide to World Geography from Cindy Wiggers.  There are various supplementary books that go along with it.  I have most of them including an art book and a cookbook.  Some I was able to buy used for very little.  Then I have the Walch Basic Geography set.  Granted the Walch set is pretty basic and low frills, but with the two different sets I didn't spend $135.  The way the Trail Guide is designed, it can actually be used for several years and many different levels.

Good to know.

ETA: The other thing which I implied, but I'll say more clearly is that a classroom "9 hours" of work could be 9 hours in a homeschool setting, but it also could easily be 1 hour. Some of them will inevitably be a lot less because they'll be discussions. Even an in depth discussion between a couple of kids and you can't go as long as a classroom discussion. But usually there are other things like comparing work and compiling answers. And there may be some activities you have to skip altogether, which is fine, but it means you're not paying for as much as it implies.

This is an excellent point. I was hoping someone had used it and could speak about their experiences. :)

I think maybe the Interact site is more clear. The scope and sequence seems to be primarily the first unit. On the Interact site there are clearly three units for $134.85.  Outbreak, Survival, Resettlement. Each unit has around 20 lessons and the lessons are anywhere between 4-10 hours each. 

http://www.interact-simulations.com/c/product.html?record@TF45481[email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>

Good to know.

This is an excellent point. I was hoping someone had used it and could speak about their experiences. :)

Huh. That looks really different, but actually the "projects" line up to the scope and sequence. So, the scope and sequence is right. There are ten lessons/units/projects and I assume that's how long each one takes. The three units or stages or whatever on the Interact site just break those up into three different books. So I assume the 75 hours is still the total time.

THis looks so cool, I have never heard of it before, but I know my younger kids would be all over it. 

ETA: now that I have looked further I think it is a bit beyond what my youngest can do, maybe ds11, but my teens are now begging that I get it as a fun addition to their grade 11 year.  Wouldn't be good for credits, but looks like fun, so I just think I might.

• Like 1

Huh. That looks really different, but actually the "projects" line up to the scope and sequence. So, the scope and sequence is right. There are ten lessons/units/projects and I assume that's how long each one takes. The three units or stages or whatever on the Interact site just break those up into three different books. So I assume the 75 hours is still the total time.

Yeah, looked further and that seems like what what it means. Hm. Wonder if they'll come out with more curriculum at a later time.

ETA: now that I have looked further I think it is a bit beyond what my youngest can do, maybe ds11, but my teens are now begging that I get it as a fun addition to their grade 11 year.  Wouldn't be good for credits, but looks like fun, so I just think I might.

If you do, please let us know how it goes. :)

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread since I just bought ZB Geography (digital download version). I haven't used it yet but I can give you some impressions from reading through the curriculum.

1. The curriculum itself is 500 pages.  The graphic novel is 58 pages; a text narrative of the story is also provided for students who don't like graphic novels.

2. The set-up for each lesson/section is done like a traditional public school lesson plan.  Bare bones and weirdly set-up to this homeschooler but once you get into the groove of how to read it, it makes a lot more sense and should be easy to use.

3. Teacher intensive.  Basic examples are provided (for example, for the map types section, small graphics/photo are included in the guide) but it should be fairly easy to add to it nicely with Google.  However, if you decide not to do that, PowerPoint presentations are provided for each section which are nicely done but simply replicate what is in the guide albeit with larger graphics.  Discussion seems to be a BIG part of this curriculum.

4. Dead Reckon, the graphic novel, is very nice illustrated and exactly as the description says: zombies are simply pale with bits of blood.  No gore.  Focus is definitely on the story.

5. Additional issues of Dead Reckon are "coming soon", as are more supplemental materials.

6. The suggested grades are 5-8; I think that is absolutely correct.  My DS (bright/average) definitely wouldn't have gotten all the points this year in 4th, and I think it would really be too easy for high school.

7. Zombies don't figure into each and every lesson which might be a bummer for some students.

All in all, I think it was definitely worth the $100 and I'm pretty excited to use it.

5. Additional issues of Dead Reckon are "coming soon", as are more supplemental materials.

It's been saying that since I first learned about this curriculum, which was probably close to 2 years ago, so I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. In fact, since my oldest will be entering 5th grade in the fall as well, and the "coming soon" stuff isn't forthcoming, I was thinking yesterday that I should a) look at the samples again to make sure it's what I want, and b) order it, before it goes out of print (since I was planning on getting the print version). 

• Like 1

So, I ended up taking the plunge and ordering the books. In case anyone is wondering, they charge 12% shipping, so that came out to $16.18 in shipping. I figured that even if I were to print only 3/5 of the pages, that would be a LOT of printing (which isn't free either), so nicely bound books were fairly appealing despite the shipping cost. It seems I didn't have to pay sales tax, so at least that compensated a little for the high shipping cost.