Menu

Do your dyslexic children complain about their "brains hurting"

Both kids sometimes get headaches.

When you say eye exams, were they through a COVD eye doctor? Standard eye exams don't catch a lot of developmental eye issues. DS has perfect vision from a visual accuity standpoint. Not one standard eye exam also caught the he has heterophoria. We had to get an exam through a developmental optometrist to find out what was going on.

• Like 3

Yes. Absolutely. One major headache trigger for my dyslexic was sensitivity to florecent lights. Another is the use of white paper. For Miles it is a marked difference between headaches when we use white and blue paper (thank you Barton). I now photo copy everything on blue paper and can work for up to 45 minutes without a headache.Miles is also prone to migraine so I have a huge list of triggers that we avoid from shiny chrome to the home depot.

I also tell my son that rewiring his brain laying down new ways to think and process is hard work. It is the equivalent of no pain no gain (he plays football so that makes sence to him)

A covd is the best place to start. I also went to a neurologist and had MRI scans done on Miles since his rose to migraine level. But once they cleared him, therapy was what was left and it did help. Covd is the only way to figure out if it will help your child.

• Like 1

Yes, they both do. It happens more often with my SPD kid because too much work on the dyslexic weak spots can trigger vestibular system responses. As in, he actually feels loopy and becomes dizzy and sensory seeking. Both boys are pretty good about telling me when it starts to happen but it is frustrating and tough for all involved.

Maybe you could try to ferret out what she means more precisely, for example, headache, dizzy-ish, foggy, worn out from working some aspects very hard... These are all different things.  There are probably additional descriptive words I'm not thinking of right now.  I'd see if she can describe it any better and I'd ask about when she gets these feelings, e.g. all the time, after schoolwork or after certain types of schoolwork, certain times of day, before or after meals, during physical activity, while walking/sitting/laying down, does it feel different than a week/month/year ago, etc.  The goal would be to discern whether there's a physical cause to look into.

For example, my ds sometimes feels foggy and has for years, but he didn't realize that wasn't normal until additional issues came along and he could see differences depending on what we were doing with supplements, medicines, etc.  The last time he said his head felt funny was at the relatively sudden onset of his other issues about a year ago; one particularly problematic medicine for him happens to be Miralax.  (Eta, he is not dyslexic)

• Like 1

Yes. My DD would complain quite frequently. This one didn't need vision therapy, but she thought it was the amount of concentration it took to read " When the words are moving around so much ."

I don' t know if it would help, but we scheduled reading or math for a smaller amount of time so we could stop before the headaches,and did chores requiring more physical work and less mental in between. ( vacumming, taking the dogs outside, gathering and doing laundry ,mopping with moving all of the chairs... Chores with some sort of push/ pull /carry aspect to them worked best).

• Like 1

Yes we have headaches in our house. Sometimes they are legit, other times it is questionable. Headaches should be evaluated by an optometrist, but are normal in childhood. I would visit the doctor for more than a couple or so a month just for a checkup. There are a million reasons to get them so finding out triggers can be a super fun detective game. Most common offenders are lack of sleep, hydration, and eating.

My oldest has this also.  His head just hurts, feels foggy or as he says "stops taking in any information".  We have to really limit the time he works on subjects.  Makes it slow going but trying to push in more info when it's already full just doesn't work.  My daughter has never had this issue unless she's super, super tired.  I've always attributed it to his special needs.  

She says that she basically always has a headache. When I press her further she says that her head just feels funny. I guess I need to try to narrow it down better, but she doesn't seem to be able to verbalize or describe what she's feeling. 

Ok, that doesn't sound normal. I'd be looking into that situation. Ours are intermittent, definitely not something that is constant.

Yes, when we're working on something that's particularly taxing to her (recently, it's been the working memory on Hearbuilder). She says her head's hurt and she's exhausted - generally she then falls asleep for a while....

I think it's hard work, rewiring all those brain connections and whatnot...

Not my daughter but...my husband yes.  Definitely.  Anytime he has to "brain", his brain hurts.  Board games?  Brain hurts.  Math questions?  Brain hurts.  Reading?  Brain hurts.  Spelling?  Brain hurts.  Its one of the reasons he avoids doing any of those things.  That and...he usually makes mistakes and he is embarrassed by them.