Menu

Dr. Art guide to planet earth and guide to science

MamaChicken

We used them in 7th grade, they were great.  I wrote study guides for them, so she read the chapter independently and wrote answers to the questions in the study guide.  Using them in conjunction with McHenry units would be just perfect.  We were also watching lots of science docos on correlated topics.

• Like 1

Aren't they terrific? We're about to finish Dr. Art's Guide to Science. I've been reading it aloud this month to my DD10 and whichever of the neighbor girls happens to be in my house after morning swim practice (they draw while I read). We've been buzzing through it at a pretty fast clip (about a chapter a day). We discuss the content, but as it is summer break, I'm not requiring any output. I have Guide to Planet Earth on deck to read next. I think we'll watch some documentaries and pull in some additional resources, but even if not, I think it is just such a nice, high-level overview of science. We don't "do" tons of science, but because we read and discuss a lot, my DD has a high interest and broad foundation.

We're also reading From Then to Now, by Christopher Moore, for a similar treatment of history. As we're nearing the end of SOTW Vol. 4, she has heard most of the content before, but it has been spread over the last four years, so I'm not certain she remembers much of the early material. I thought a very high-level overview of the broad scope of world history would be a nice way to finish off our tour through it before we begin again with Ancients. DD really loves both Dr. Art and From Then to Now. Makes it an easy sell...

• Like 1

fourisenough, we read From Then Till Now last year as well, both girls enjoyed listening to it.  I just found another book that you guys might enjoy, it's kind of like Gombrich's A Little History of the World, but it's about science.  Even has the same look and a similar tone as Gombrich:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-History-Science-William-Bynum/dp/0300197136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434916938&sr=8-1&keywords=a+little+history+of+science

• Like 1

fourisenough, we read From Then Till Now last year as well, both girls enjoyed listening to it.  I just found another book that you guys might enjoy, it's kind of like Gombrich's A Little History of the World, but it's about science.  Even has the same look and a similar tone as Gombrich:

http://www.amazon.com/Little-History-Science-William-Bynum/dp/0300197136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434916938&sr=8-1&keywords=a+little+history+of+science

Rose, I believe you are to blame for both my purchase of Dr. Art & From Then to Now! And here you are leading me down the Amazon again  :hurray: . Just added that book to my wish list (from which I choose library books and, if necessary, used book purchases).

• Like 1

I just ordered From Then to Now, too, to follow up modern time (except we're finishing up history of us). Glad to hear dr art has worked well for people. I was thinking about using one of the books as a summer read aloud. I love how well it integrates the sciences and focuses on systems!

• Like 1

Wait... Are Planet Earth and Science not the same thing?! I thought Science was just an updated, renamed version of Planet Earth. I remember comparing at one point and seeing a focus on systems and thought I was good to buy the newer, longer one (Science). If someone tells me they are substantially different, I'll get right on ordering Planet Earth. 

We used them in 7th grade, they were great. I wrote study guides for them, so she read the chapter independently and wrote answers to the questions in the study guide. Using them in conjunction with McHenry units would be just perfect. We were also watching lots of science docos on correlated topics.

Do you mind sharing how one goes about writing a study guide for these (or any) books?

I also have these Dr. Art books on order, based on your recommendation to go along with BHP. :)

• Like 1

Well, I can tell you how I do it . . . 

My goal with the study guides is to help dd learn to read a text for information. It's not meant to make sure she reads it - I know her eyes pass over the page - and it's not meant to be busy work. It's meant to help her learn to engage with the text, pick out the important parts, and put concepts into her own words.  She had just completed the Coursera Learning How to Learn class and read A Mind for Numbers, so I tried to use that some vocabulary and illustrate how the concepts she had learned would be used to read a text for understanding.

So I would give general directions for approaching each chapter, which for the Guide to Science looked like this: 

For each chapter, do the following activities.  You should complete Item 1 & 2 on Day 1, and Item 3 & 4 of day 2 for each chapter.  If you need additional time to complete the activities, let me know.

1.       Read Chapter

a.       Read the title, section headings, boxes, picture captions, etc. to prime the pump

b.      Read the chapter

c.       Read the Stop & Think section at the end.  Stop and Think!

2.       Answer study questions in complete sentences in your own words.  Don’t just find and copy sentences from the book – put the statement into your own words and write it down.  That’s how you will know that you know what it means! If you don’t, come talk about it with me

3.       Do the online activities/demos/videos for the chapter at www.guidetoscience.net. Ask for help if you need it.  If there are experiments or activities you would like to do, let me know.

4.       Write-to-learn activity.  Choices:

a.       Summarize the main chapter concepts (150-250 words)

b.      Write an outline of the main concepts and supporting points

c.       Create a mindmap or graphic organizer of the chapter concepts

d.      Make yourself some notes and then explain the main ideas to Morgan on a level that she can understand.  Answer her questions about the topic/concept.

Then for each chapter, I would create specific questions for her to answer.

The Planet Earth guide was a little simpler, so each chapter got two days. Here is an example for chapter 1:

Chapter 1 – Introducing Planet Earth

Day 1:

1.        Pre-read the chapter: Prime the pump.  Read the title, the headings, and the picture captions.  Read each of the Big Idea boxes

2.       Read the chapter.  Jot down any words or concepts you don’t understand

3.       Look up any words or concepts you don’t understand in the Glindex or online.  Write definitions in your notebook

4.       Copy each Big Idea into your notebook

Day 2:

1.       Review each Big Idea

2.       Write a definition of each of the following concepts in your notebook.  First, try and think of the answer without looking in the book.  If you can’t remember, then look up the answer in the book and copy the definition in your notebook

a.       System

b.      Earth System

c.       Matter Cycles

d.      Energy Flows

e.      Life Webs

• Like 3