Menu

Question about Borac Math

abba12

I'm just looking into the Borac Math books, and specifically level 3. The blurb on Amazon says 

"Level 3 consists of: Word Problems (volume 9), Arithmetic and Number Theory (volume 10), Operations and Algebra (volume 11), Geometry (volume 12), and Combinatorics (volume 13)"

However, looking around online, I can only find volumes 9 and 10 anywhere. The covers make these look like older books, but are they newer and the last three haven't been released yet? Or are they going out of print? Or is Amazon just totally wrong altogether (they have typo'd level 2 for level 3 in the blurb so it wouldn't surprise me, but since this lists 5 books, not the 4 books in level 2, I am assuming this part of the blurb is correct)

I'm only looking at level 1 for my kids, but was actually interested in level 3 for me! Despite being 'gifted' myself, I am visually impaired and was put in the 'too-hard basket' by schools and by my mother, and ended up pretty put off by anything resembling math despite being very good at it, even getting a perfect score on one of those national competitions in 6th grade. I never really went beyond Algebra 1 and Geometry and remember very little even of that, but all this research for my children's schooling has me a little curious about math again, tentatively, so I thought some pre-alg/early alg level challenge questions might be interesting! lol. AOPS scares me :P Anyway, I digress...

Also, could anyone tell me, do the Borac books scale in difficulty through the volumes (is volume 4 harder than volume 2, despite both being level 1 books) or are they intended to be worked through alongside each other/in whichever order suits the student?

Every level was a set of 4 books. I know that Cleo Borac republished level 1 last year as a single book instead of 4 separate books. It is actually cheaper to purchase the new version. I imagine they must have republished all the levels that way.

Borac books are all very recent. The reason some of the books are missing is probably because they haven't published them yet.

I have all the level 1 books so I can't comment for other levels but for level 1 books 1 to 4 are supposed to have the same complexity, they just cover different topics. But from practice I think that a higher numbered book is slightly more difficult than a lower numbered book.

Every level was a set of 4 books. I know that Cleo Borac republished level 1 last year as a single book instead of 4 separate books. It is actually cheaper to purchase the new version. I imagine they must have republished all the levels that way.

If you are paying per book postage overseas definitely get the combined book.