Menu

Mindware like books

Hello,

I'm looking for books like the mindware books.  Like this one:  http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-Multiplication-Mosaics-Evelyn-Christensen/dp/1892069563/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1434410724&sr=8-6&keywords=mindware+books.

I like the fact that it's not too busy looking on each page and that it's visually appealing. 

I already know of mindbenders, balance benders, and kumon books. 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

This is the thread I was looking for!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/195924-logic/?do=findComment&comment=1882178

Desertflower, I saw an old post of yours that I had bookmarked about starting a math circle. Did you ever go forward with that? If so, how did it go? I am thinking of starting one as well.

The first meeting is actually next month.  :)  I thought long and hard how to go about this.  There was a lot to consider.  If you want to know what I had to think about I can tell you later.

Fortunately, for me I know 2 other moms who have kids about the same ages as mine.  We are going to meet at a library once a month.

I'm going to use this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Math-Circles-Elementary-School-Students/dp/1470416956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434564739&sr=8-1&keywords=math+circles+for+elementary+studentsfor the older kids. 

I'm going to use right start math games for the almost 5 year olds.

And perhaps c-rods and simple math games for the 2 1/2 year olds.

I want to throw in Beast Academy every now and then along with a page from the Mindware book I linked above.  :)   I just got hands on equations, so I'm considering that one too.  My oldest was going around asking what does house + house equal or what does house times house equal, etc.  To me, algebra like questions.  So, that's why I bought it.  Of course, this was like 2 months ago, so I'm slacking a bit.  Been to the pool and to the zoo.  Swimming is educational, right?  :) 

So, 8 kids + baby with 3 moms.  Wish us luck!  :)  Good luck to you too!  Thanks for the links!

• Like 1

This is the thread I was looking for!

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/195924-logic/?do=findComment&comment=1882178

Desertflower, I saw an old post of yours that I had bookmarked about starting a math circle. Did you ever go forward with that? If so, how did it go? I am thinking of starting one as well.

Lori D. always has such great lists.  :)

Chess puzzles for kids.

For those wanting links... it sounds like one of Murray Chandler's chess books?

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Puzzles-Kids-Murray-Chandler/dp/190645440X

DS8 has enjoyed his intro book,  beat your dad at chess (openings), and tactics books.

ETA: I see Heigh Ho responded down thread and this was a more general rec for chess puzzle books... I think the book I linked is a good late beginner/early intermediate resource.

• Like 1

For those wanting links... it sounds like one of Murray Chandler's chess books?

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Puzzles-Kids-Murray-Chandler/dp/190645440X

DS8 has enjoyed his intro book,  beat your dad at chess (openings), and tactics books.

ETA: I see Heigh Ho responded down thread and this was a more general rec for chess puzzle books... I think the book I linked is a good late beginner/early intermediate resource.

Thank you raptor_dad.  I see what I did wrong now.  I looked it up on google instead of amazon.  lol  I was getting websites, but I was looking for books. 

Thank you for solving that mystery!  :)

The first meeting is actually next month.  :)  I thought long and hard how to go about this.  There was a lot to consider.  If you want to know what I had to think about I can tell you later.

Fortunately, for me I know 2 other moms who have kids about the same ages as mine.  We are going to meet at a library once a month.

I'm going to use this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Math-Circles-Elementary-School-Students/dp/1470416956/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434564739&sr=8-1&keywords=math+circles+for+elementary+studentsfor the older kids. 

I'm going to use right start math games for the almost 5 year olds.

And perhaps c-rods and simple math games for the 2 1/2 year olds.

I want to throw in Beast Academy every now and then along with a page from the Mindware book I linked above.  :)   I just got hands on equations, so I'm considering that one too.  My oldest was going around asking what does house + house equal or what does house times house equal, etc.  To me, algebra like questions.  So, that's why I bought it.  Of course, this was like 2 months ago, so I'm slacking a bit.  Been to the pool and to the zoo.  Swimming is educational, right?  :)

So, 8 kids + baby with 3 moms.  Wish us luck!  :)  Good luck to you too!  Thanks for the links!

Desertflower, I am really interested to hear how it goes!! I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and so we are in the same age range. I have looked at the math circles book you linked and am planning to use geoboards, paper folding, activities from nrich.org, peggy kayes' books, and some mep material. Please do let me know what you had to consider when forming the circle. Best of luck!!! Can I PM you for more info? I am so excited to find someone who has started one.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a good plan!  I have Math Games by Peggy Kaye too.  You can pm me anytime!  Looking forward to sharing ideas with you.  :)  

First, I want to clarify that it's more a math club than a math circle.  Not sure if there's a difference except we are not going to enter in any competition.  This is one of the things I had to consider.  Join a math circle/kangaroo or start a math club (no competition).  Which leads to the next consideration. 

This seems silly, but how would my oldest dd feel?  There's only 1 1/2 years difference between them and they are really close.  I've noticed that she doesn't like to compete against my ds.  He is very competitive.  These are the things I've noticed: she doesn't want to take CKD and I had to switch math curriculum.  She likes to do the "opposite" of what he does.  He's not gung ho about phonics lessons, but she is.  He loves playing chess, but she doesn't even want to try it.  For some reason she thinks certain things are for boys and other things are for girls. There are other things, but can't think of right now.  Of course, I know she may be too young for some stuff that he does, but.......  So, my point is, if I had signed up my ds in a math circle, I was afraid that she would reject it when she is of age.  Definitely, not what I want. 

Now off to think about whether to do this with friends, family, or strangers?  Yes, I had to contemplate this because they are my closest friends.  I tried this club (preschool) thing before with a budding friendship, but it didn't work out.  So naturally, I had some reservations.  In the end, I decided to ask my closest friends and share my concerns with them. 

Other stuff:

-   venue

-  If we met at one's house the kids would feel it was a play date.

-   when and how often to meet

-   rules

-   The show must go on if there's a least 2 families involved.

-  fun

-   Stickers in the end of each session? 

This is the longest post I've ever written!  :)  There are certainly more people out there who are more qualified to answer your questions (I believe dmmetler, quark, either Kathy in VA or Kathy in Richmond - I can't remember which one, Spy car, and Arcadia), but feel free to pm me anytime.  I've actually gotten my ideas from them from different threads. 

Perhaps when you start yours we can exchange pitfalls and success stories.  :)