Menu

Disappearing Spoon is sort of dry in places, but not really inappropriate. I mean it goes into chemical warfare a bit, but there is nothing really horrific that I remember to say a 7th grader couldn't handle it. I don't remember any sex/drugs/rock and roll happening. More that if your kid isn't into the concept of chemistry and the elements, it is not a super fun read.

The Violinist's Thumb has some sexy stuff as it is more about Biology. The word Love is actually in the title. None of that in Spoon.

• Like 2

Spoon did mention something about Marie Curie's affair with some other chemist. But pretty much just like that - that she had an affair. Nothing inappropriate for a 7th grader, unless you don't want them knowing that famous people have done things maybe they shouldn't have, but history is full of examples of that.

Thanks! Uncle Tungsten looks great. I loaded the Wonder Book into my Kindle library for reading on the pool bleachers, and I forgot the Golden Book of Chemistry Experiments was in there too.

😛

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 2

I read Disappearing Spoon as did my 11 year old last year. My 9-year-old started it and didn't care for it. I really enjoyed it. There was one spot where there was a mild sex analogy, but I didn't find it offensive. I wouldn't have even thought twice about it except that I knew my son was only chapters behind me – makes one notice different things. :) 

I wanted to like Periodic Kingdom but it was very evolution-heavy and super dry. It was a read aloud and it was boring us all to tears. It was such a good trope, but poorly executed - written more by a scientist than a writer, I guess.

I started Napoleon's Buttons after Disappearing Spoon, but I didn't think it was as well written, so I didn't continue past the first chapter.

Ambleside Online has recently redone their science book list for the middle school years and would be a good place to look for interesting science reading. There are several biographies listed that I have on order. :)

Some of the books on my list for my rising 7th grader are

Galileo and the Magic Numbers, by Sidney Rosen

The Weather Book by Sloane

The Wonder Book of Chemistry, by Jean Henri Fabre

Ordinary Genius, by Stephanie McPherson

• Like 2

Thanks for the AO tip!

The bolded is usually an indication that DS/7th will like it. LOL  He just came home from Boy Scout summer camp... where the guys nicknamed him Bill Nye.

That's great! Yes, my review evidences my roots as an English Major. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Disappearing Spoon does have mature references.  The most memorable was some sexual obsessiveness on the part of Carl Linnaeus, but I recall it coming up a few times in the book.  Much of the mature content is said in an underhanded, dry tone which many kids won't pick up on.  I've been searching for a similar book, and I've seen recommendations for Napoleon's Buttons and Caveman Chemistry but haven't read either.  Theodore Gray's Elements book is fantastic but isn't a narrative.  I'm anxious to check out some of the other options mentioned above.