Menu

Questions About Superscores for SAT

So--super scoring SATs for college admissions...

I've been turning over in my mind how to phrase this question but I'm not sure I've come up with a good way yet so my apologies in advance.

Do admissions departments/scholarship committees really just take your top score from each SAT session to create the super score without passing judgement on the other scores?

Here is the background to the question: dd (rising senior) took the SAT this spring.  She is, on the whole, pleased with her scores.  Her scores have put her in the top 25% for most of the schools she is interested in, solidly upper end of the middle 50% for 3 of her choices, and one school at the bottom of the middle 50.  

She is trying to decide if she should retake the exam in the fall.  She has a couple reasons for retaking the exam.  One, her writing score does not reflect everything she is capable of and she would like to see it be closer to what she believes she is capable of.  Two, she might place herself above the middle 50% for one of the schools she is in the upper mid-50 of (and which she is very interested in attending). Three, score improvement might help her be a more solid candidate for merit aid, which she would need to be able to afford some of her choices.

Here is what I see as the downside--she has one CR+M subsection score that, statistically speaking, will drop and one score that should improve somewhat.  And then the Writing score should improve.

I'm willing to take on the financial burden of not using the free score reports and paying for any we need to send in order to see her scores before they are sent to schools-just in case.

So, how do admissions departments/scholarship committees view a drop in scores or a drop in a subsection score when you take the test a second time?  Do they really only look at the highest scores?

Please don't think she (or I) are complaining.  She worked hard and did well on the exam.  She's not trying to get into Harvard but would like to be a strong merit aid/scholarship candidate.  I just have no idea how to judge perception when the exam is taken multiple times-especially with a potential score drop in one or more areas.

If it helps she is considering both public universities and private LACs mostly in the south and midwest.

So--super scoring SATs for college admissions...

I've been turning over in my mind how to phrase this question but I'm not sure I've come up with a good way yet so my apologies in advance.

Do admissions departments/scholarship committees really just take your top score from each SAT session to create the super score without passing judgement on the other scores?

Not all colleges that superscore for admissions will superscore when determining merit aid.  Many merit aid awards are based on the combined Math & Critical Reading scores of the SAT taken in one sitting.

From my limited experience, some admissions offices that superscore see all SAT scores, while at some other colleges, the admissions offices only see the actual superscored SAT results. 

Many colleges don't even consider the Writing score for admissions or merit aid.  If your daughter is happy with her combined Math & Reading score, I would call the colleges on your daughter's list and ask them if they factor in the Writing score in admissions or merit aid before deciding to retest.

Good luck with the upcoming application process!

• Like 2

If she could do well on the ACT instead, I'd go that route.  That way you have two different, but good/great scores without worries about any particular section going down.  Admissions will focus on the higher scores of each, esp if a matching topic goes up on the ACT.

It's worth it to try a practice test to see what happens.

• Like 1

As I mentioned I wasn't able to put my question into words very well...

What I'm trying to get at is--If a school superscores, how do they view a second set of scores where some might go down from the first set and some might go up?  Do they really ignore the lower scores and just use the higher scores or do they pass judgment based on any decrease? 

I think dd is pretty well placed for admission at the schools she is interested in but she wants to improve her chances (where she thinks she can) for merit aid.  What I don't want her to go through, is worrying about, paying for, and prepping for another SAT if it would hurt her more than help her.