Menu

Favorite Chronicles of Narnia curricula?

Verity

Since we are going back to homeschooling after two years teaching/attending a private school I feel like I'm back to the drawing board!

My middle son is 13 (8th grade) and youngest is 9 (4th grade). Both boys. 13yo is a fairly strong reader, 9 yr old is like pulling teeth but I want him to love reading as much as I do. 

*I am considering Wayfarers so that I can combine them (I'm still helping/monitoring my 16 year who is doing Virtual High School).

*I don't want to miss out on the awesome younger classics so though I have Omnibus I I think I will save that for high school.

I was hoping you all could share favorite literature/LA programs and, specifically, I am interested in any favorite CS Lewis Narnia Curricula.

Thanks!

We adored Further Up and Further In from Cadron Creek. It's a year long program though. On it's own it wouldn't be enough literature for an 8th grader, but it is a blast to do as a family.  If you search the forums with "FUFI" you'll find loads of old threads about it.

• Like 3

My DD will be in 7th, and we'll be doing a Narnia study as well.  Not only that, but I'm going to try Wayfarers too (Modern).

For our study, we'll be using The Chronicles of Narnia Study Guide by Vicki Tillman.  It's a high school guide, but has the depth I think DD can handle. I probably won't have her do everything in the guide, but will pick and choose. Most of it will probably be done through oral discussions.  I want her to enjoy the stories and not just do work.  In addition, we will be reading the stories in chronological order rather than publication date order.  This was DD's choice.

I also have the following resources I'll be reading over the summer:

• Journey Into Narnia (I chose this one out of all the others because it contains a letter from C.S. Lewis to the author in which he stated, "...you know my work better than anyone I've met...")
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths (So far I'm not as impressed by this book.  I'm finding the Biblical verse references not as appropriate at times because they're somewhat taken out of context. I'll use what I can.)
  • Like 1

Has anyone used this one?

http://lemiloepublishing.com/productscat/the-chronicles-of-narnia-unit-study/

It is Lemiloe publishing, written by Melanie Hexter. It looks good, but there are only a few pages in the sample and I just cannot decide.  Nor can I find any reviews. (Actually, I found this post while searching for reviews.)

I am looking for something which includes literary terms.

Has anyone used this one?

http://lemiloepublishing.com/productscat/the-chronicles-of-narnia-unit-study/

It is Lemiloe publishing, written by Melanie Hexter. It looks good, but there are only a few pages in the sample and I just cannot decide.  Nor can I find any reviews. (Actually, I found this post while searching for reviews.)

I am looking for something which includes literary terms.

We own 1 of those studies, obtained it when my children were much younger & I wasn't impressed with it to be honest. I really wanted Further Up & Further In, but at the time I didn't want to pay shipping across the big pond.

We've used, & own ROAR, but I wouldn't call it a literature guide. It does have vocabulary, retention questions, Narnia Quiz, Quotes, Biblical Truths, etc. Fun basically. :) I wish I could find something like that for Harry Potter.