Menu

Wordly Wise - Online, workbook or something else?

mommy5

I'm contemplating using an actual vocabulary program this year for our 8 & 10 year olds (upcoming 3rd/5th grades).  Have you used Wordly Wise?  I see that they have an online program available through homeschool buyers co-op - I'm not sure how that works.  I was contemplating using their workbooks but using the same one for both of my kids (maybe the 4th grade book).  Is there any reason not to do that?  My thought was to list our vocab words in a central place and use them in sentences throughout the week - through conversation.  Just thinking ... how do you guys do vocabulary?

My kids uses both. We just started the computer program this year. It certainly is convienent, but it is harder to review the pervious lessons. they do have a flash card app That we use but find the book is a bit easier to review. So they do the lesson on computer and review pervious lessons with book.

We are just finishing up WW4, and I really like it.  I'll be using it again next year for all my kids 2nd and up.  I take 2 weeks for each chapter, one for A,B,C and D, the second for part E, write each word in a sentence, and the test. 

The on-line version is nice, but I highly recommend doing written review, creating flashcards, etc.  Otherwise you may have trouble with long-term retention.  As for the list, I got it but I don't remember how.  I may have even typed it out myself from the on-line site.  I can't remember.  Hopefully someone else has a better answer.

Good luck!

How much typing does the online version require? Anyone know? I see in the sample that there is fill-in-the-blank in the last story comprehension exercise. Is there more typing sprinkled in? I'm specifically looking at level 3.

Also, does anyone have problems running the online version? We have high-speed internet, but we're rural. We receive it wirelessly via a mini tower in the neighbor's yard. We have the lowest speed package too. 

Is Homeschool Buyers the only place to buy Wordly Wide 3000 Online for homeschoolers? $40 seems a wee bit pricey for one student.

Can you print word lists for each lesson so that the words are right there in front of the student when typing?

Anyone use the app? Anyone try running the android version on a Kindle Fire?

Can a lesson on the online version be reset or is it one-time through only?

• Like 1

To see the word lists for the entire series, go here:  http://www.wordlywise3000.com/word_lists/and select your level.

My boys have used the online program this past year and plan to continue this next year. My youngest is 'catching' up so he started on grade 3 and moved to grade 4 last year.  I predict the same this year as he progresses to 5. If I were to pay for three series of the print books, the online edition would be paid for since you can move at will between levels online.  I appreciate the independent nature of the work (read, I don't have to grade).  You can adjust the starting lesson and which activities to complete as well passing percentage.  You can turn on audio support, set puzzle timers and turn off crossword puzzles.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...