What's with the ads?

#151 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5249 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

I will likely delete it when I'm totally satisfied with how this has panned out.

LOL,  you're nicer than I am!  I'd wait until my iPad was safe and sound in my hands...then I'd unleash on them.  Social media firestorm.  Corporate letter blitz. :D :D

#152 Sarah CB

Sarah CB

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:02 PM

LOL,  you're nicer than I am!  I'd wait until my iPad was safe and sound in my hands...then I'd unleash on them.  Social media firestorm.  Corporate letter blitz. :D :D

It's very tempting.

• alisoncooks likes this

#153 Tap

Tap

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16677 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Well, I just had a call from the Director of Housekeeping.  I haven't moved very far up the ladder...  I keep expecting the hotel to take this a little more seriously.  

My questions through private fb message were ignored - I asked for clarification of their security policy and how giving my device full of personal information to someone meshed with that policy, but the Director of Housekeeping answered my questions on the phone.

They are meeting to review their policies today - specifically with regards to the "no contact" rule and how to dispose of potentially sensitive items like iPads and cell phones.  He clarified that it wasn't a Security Policy that prevented them from calling me, it was a Privacy Policy - apparently the hotel will not contact you without your consent.  

He did apologize and he asked what he could do to make this better.  He's calling me back later today to tell me how they play to change their policies and to give me the tracking number.  

I did post the fb message conversation on my fb - and it's set to public so anyone can see it.  I will likely delete it when I'm totally satisfied with how this has panned out.

Honestly, If the Director of Housekeeping is the one who is working to resolve the issue, that IS the person you want to be talking to right now.  The owner or manager of the hotel may be aware of the situation but isn't the one likely dealing with the actual processes involved.  Upper people will just tell you what you want to hear and then delegate the actual process to his subordinates.  You are likely talking to the person who will actually be the one dealing with the situation, in a hands on way. To enact real change....that is the person you need to talk to.  By housekeeping talking to you, she had to deal with the uncomfortable customer situation, so she has a little more ownership of wanting changes to protect her employees in the future.

I would still contact upper management to make sure they are aware and dealing with this situation internally so there can be true policy changes. Lower level employees can request changes but someone needs to sign off. Getting the housekeeping staff and management to both see there is a policy problem at the same time, so they can agree to not only sign the policy changes but to also truly enact/enforce them is a great thing, and will likely lead to an actually beneficial policy. 

For today, I am glad that someone is putting your iPad in a box and shipping it back to  you. 

• Jean in Newcastle, Spryte, gardenmom5 and 2 others like this

#154 idnib

idnib

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5253 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:33 PM

We need to find a WTMer who lives near Banff to show up in person and scare 'em by pretending to be you.  :glare:

• Sarah CB, Renai, QueenCat and 4 others like this

#155 Callie

Callie

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

What does the amount he's paid have to do with anything? I think it's quite patronizing to assume that Bimo is naive and innocent just because he makes a low wage. After successfully making contact with the OP, an honest person would make every effort to return the item to its real owner, not try to get the password for "his" new iPad.

Agreed.  What reasonable person could honestly believe that the Ipad was theirs to keep if contact info was on it.  

Even most 10 year olds know that electronic equipment is valuable.

And Bimo must be pretty morally corrupt to even consider that it was his to keep.  

• Lady Florida., MrsBasil, gardenmom5 and 2 others like this

#156 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65896 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

Bimo needs to be introduced to the Boston homeless man who turned in a backpack full of money because he knew it was not his to keep just because he found it.  

• katilac, jewellsmommy, soror and 8 others like this

#157 SproutMamaK

SproutMamaK

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Let us know what happens when he calls you back? I find it very surprising that every other hotel on the continent has figured out how to contact people who leave things behind, but not the freaking Fairmont in Banff. This is not a Motel 6, lol.

• YaelAldrich, gardenmom5, kristi26 and 2 others like this

#158 Sarah CB

Sarah CB

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3183 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:08 PM

POPULAR

UPDATE!!

I have my iPad back.  They shipped it out very quickly.  Also, they had a meeting to discuss hotel policy and they have now changed the policy.  Owners will be contacted when something like a cell phone, laptop or iPad is left behind.  If the owner cannot be found they will keep the item for 6 months and then destroy it so that the personal information cannot be passed on to someone else.  I'm so happy that they have changed this policy.  They have even reached out to five other hotels in their region and so far three of those hotels are changing their policies as well.  And they're sending me a written apology (which I appreciate) and a gift (which I did not ask for and definitely didn't require, but will gratefully accept nonetheless).

I'm really happy to have my iPad back and I'm really happy they figured out the policy needed to be changed.  

• Jane in NC, JudoMom, A Red Color and 135 others like this

#159 WoolySocks

WoolySocks

Googleplex master of hivedom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9131 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

Awesome ending!  Great - nice work!  :)

• Sarah CB likes this

#160 Annie G

Annie G

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7804 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:30 PM

UPDATE!!

I have my iPad back.  They shipped it out very quickly.  Also, they had a meeting to discuss hotel policy and they have now changed the policy.  Owners will be contacted when something like a cell phone, laptop or iPad is left behind.  If the owner cannot be found they will keep the item for 6 months and then destroy it so that the personal information cannot be passed on to someone else.  I'm so happy that they have changed this policy.  They have even reached out to five other hotels in their region and so far three of those hotels are changing their policies as well.  And they're sending me a written apology (which I appreciate) and a gift (which I did not ask for and definitely didn't require, but will gratefully accept nonetheless).

I'm really happy to have my iPad back and I'm really happy they figured out the policy needed to be changed.  

I'm so happy for you! So glad it worked out- and you helped other people, too! 

• Suzanne in ABQ and Sarah CB like this

#161 Melissa in Australia

Melissa in Australia

Amateur at everything

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11316 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

:hurray:

• Sarah CB likes this

#162 mamaraby

mamaraby

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3453 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Yay! I'm so glad to hear that they are changing policies in addition to getting your iPad back to you. Way to go for keeping on them about this!
  • Sarah CB likes this

#163 Jaz

Jaz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

Great!

• Sarah CB likes this

#164 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 65896 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Awesome!  This has restored my faith in commercial mankind.  

• Sarah CB, ElizabethB, 8circles and 4 others like this

#165 PrairieSong

PrairieSong

Mrs. Bojangles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3402 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

Wonderful!! So glad you got it back and were instrumental in getting them to change their policy.
  • Sarah CB likes this

#166 Beaniemom

Beaniemom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:52 PM

:hurray:

• Sarah CB likes this

#167 Cinder

Cinder

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9396 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Yay!

• Sarah CB likes this

#168 whitestavern

whitestavern

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

I love when things work out the way they should :)

• Sarah CB likes this

#169 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29347 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

:party:
  • Sarah CB likes this

#170 Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13028 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:49 PM

That is GREAT!
  • Sarah CB likes this

#171 Suzanne in ABQ

Suzanne in ABQ

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4464 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

That's great news.  I'm glad everything worked out.  

#172 idnib

idnib

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5253 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:10 PM

I'm assuming you'll be sharing the gift with the hive, yes?  ;)

• Sarah CB and CaitlinC like this

#173 ErinE

ErinE

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4556 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:03 PM

I'm glad your getting your iPad back AND that the hotel policy is changed. Would they hand over someone's wallet to an employee, just because it was lost for six months? There is so much personal information on these devices, it's surprising the hotel hasn't run into the issue before.
  • Sarah CB and ashfern like this

#174 Mothersweets

Mothersweets

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3314 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:23 PM

Hooray! So glad it worked out for you!!

• Sarah CB likes this

#175 PrincessMommy

PrincessMommy

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6664 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:24 PM

What a great ending!!  So glad it turned out so well.

• Sarah CB likes this

#176 trulycrabby

trulycrabby

mullet supreme

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5145 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:27 PM

Wonderful news! :hurray:
  • Sarah CB likes this

#177 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8580 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:32 PM

UPDATE!!

I have my iPad back. They shipped it out very quickly. Also, they had a meeting to discuss hotel policy and they have now changed the policy. Owners will be contacted when something like a cell phone, laptop or iPad is left behind. If the owner cannot be found they will keep the item for 6 months and then destroy it so that the personal information cannot be passed on to someone else. I'm so happy that they have changed this policy. They have even reached out to five other hotels in their region and so far three of those hotels are changing their policies as well. And they're sending me a written apology (which I appreciate) and a gift (which I did not ask for and definitely didn't require, but will gratefully accept nonetheless).

Revolutionary! I love happy endings. Logical ones, too.
  • Sarah CB likes this

#178 Twigs

Twigs

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5423 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Sarah CB likes this

#179 Moxie

Moxie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9047 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone else feel badly for the room cleaning guy? Not that I wish ill on the OP at all but the poor dude thought he was getting a free iPad through no fault of his own. I hope the hotel makes things right with him; their stupid policy wasn't his fault.
  • Suzanne in ABQ, Sarah CB, Laura Corin and 1 other like this

#180 Spryte

Spryte

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9461 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:11 PM

Excellent resolution!
  • Sarah CB likes this

#181 kristi26

kristi26

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1178 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:29 AM

UPDATE!!

:yay:

This is SUCH a happy ending! I'm so glad they got you your laptop, that they are changing the policy, and that they are sending you something extra for all the trouble. :) 

But what happened to Bimo? ;)

#182 ErinE

ErinE

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4556 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:04 PM

Does anyone else feel badly for the room cleaning guy? Not that I wish ill on the OP at all but the poor dude thought he was getting a free iPad through no fault of his own. I hope the hotel makes things right with him; their stupid policy wasn't his fault.

I don't feel bad for him, but I do understand there could be confusion on his part. He followed his employer's policy in regards to lost items. I certainly don't think he should be punished or reprimanded for the hotel's bone-headed policy, although I expect if there's a no-contact clause, he may have violated it unknowingly.

But...

He thought he might have lucked into an iPad because he worked for the hotel. The hotel's policy was idiotic. He doesn't get the iPad. I'm not sure why things need to be made right for him.

• kitten18 and gardenmom5 like this

#183 Anne in CA

Anne in CA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5496 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am so glad this had a happy ending!

#184 Tammyla

Tammyla

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9713 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Good job!  Wow, I'm so happy for you and all the future guests who happen to leave something so sensitive behind.

• Jean in Newcastle likes this