Menu

Is Math mammoth at, below or above grade level...

Ellen_TX

I would agree that it is at grade level, but strong/challenging. My DD3 (age 10) has just completed MM6. She has unintentionally accelerated through it by using it more or less year-round, at a fairly relaxed pace (about 3 pages per day, 4 days per week). I just got her standardized test scores (she took the Stanford 10) at the 5th grade level and she scored in the 99th percentile for math problem solving and the 98th percentile for total math. It has been our math spine from first grade, although we've also done additional fact practice with XtraMath and just began some spiral review this year using Simple Solutions Math. It seems to be doing the trick. I'm going to have her complete MM through the final (pre-algebra) level just because I like to see things through. We'll also do the AOPS pre-algebra class this coming year via WTM Academy. That's way more info than you asked for, but may be relevant to the discussion. HTH.

• Like 3

Definitely not below grade level. It is at grade level in that its coverage of topics should align well with most elementary math books grade-by-grade, its strong because the teaching is very thorough and explicit. It is challenging in that some of the problems that it poses pack a little bit more "kick" than most math books grade-by-grade.

We have recently moved from the 'old' MM onto the new edition, and so far I'm getting the feeling that it may be slightly less 'advanced' than it was before. Ds is on book 6A and has just found 4 pages that are identical to what he did in book 5A. That being said, Maria Miller has explicitly stated that it has not been 'dumbed down', but merely adjusted to align with CC.