Menu

Returning to Homeschooling as a Parent

Guest Meesh

Guest Meesh

Hello everyone!

I grew up as a homeschooler and now I'm a mom of two little ones. I'm hoping to transition out of my full-time career and into a homeschooling family over the next year or so. Until that happens, I'm really interested in seeing how parent-led education has changed over the past 10+ years since I graduated. My parents used numerous curriculum options, from Konos to Seaton Home Study School, and in high school I used online and college courses. I certainly never appreciated how much work went into developing a great learning environment  when I was growing up. But, now I'm definitely seeing how difficult and overwhelming it can be for a parent. My husband and I are big fans of education based in the classics, history, and humanities, and I hope we'll be able to pass that on to our children.

I'm excited to find this forum and I look forward to some great conversation.

If you've made it this far into my introduction, I'm hoping you could also spare a few minutes to take a quick survey about your homeschooling experience. I'm aiming to develop a tool that will help parent educators find learning materials and opportunities. The survey link is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9WDQLYQ (Please let me know if this seems too much like spam. That is not the intent, but I will remove this paragraph if this is not the proper venue.)

I hope everyone is having a great weekend ;)

-Meesh

Welcome.

I tried answering your survey, but found that may questions can not easily be answered in this multiple choice format. For example:

Researching curriculum goes in spurts; some periods constantly, others happily coasting along. First child requires more research; subsequent children may be able to use previously selected curriculum. Ditto for purchasing materials. Some periods daily, then nothing for many months.

And "conducting schooling outside the home"? I'm not even sure how to answer that: we leave the house and do things. These experiences are educational, but I would not classify them as "schooling".

Guest Meesh

Welcome.

I tried answering your survey, but found that may questions can not easily be answered in this multiple choice format. For example:

Researching curriculum goes in spurts; some periods constantly, others happily coasting along. First child requires more research; subsequent children may be able to use previously selected curriculum. Ditto for purchasing materials. Some periods daily, then nothing for many months.

And "conducting schooling outside the home"? I'm not even sure how to answer that: we leave the house and do things. These experiences are educational, but I would not classify them as "schooling".

I agree with you. I think  many people homeschool because it is adaptable to the student's learning style and the parent's experience. But, that same morphing nature of education in a homeschooling house might be one of the most difficult things for non-homeschoolers to understand. The whole concept is certainly closer to an art, rather than a science, and that will always make it difficult to survey. On the subject of the survey this is in no way a scientific survey. There is no logical testing and the questions aren't pretested... its just a freebie survey of 10 questions that I've been contemplating for my family.

I feel like there is a steep learning curve for anyone who wants to venture into homeschooling and the majority of the most useful info in learning how to homeschool is in the minds of veteran homeschoolers just begging to be shared.

I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

-Meesh

I feel like there is a steep learning curve for anyone who wants to venture into homeschooling and the majority of the most useful info in learning how to homeschool is in the minds of veteran homeschoolers just begging to be shared.

That's why these boards are such a great place :-)

• Like 1

I took the survey.  The questions about research and buying are tricky.  For me, it's a bit ongoing and a bit all at once.  Throughout the year I keep track of things I want to research in greater depth and then once a year I do my in-depth research and purchasing.