Menu

Gift Idea Needed for Special Needs Graduate

Ewe Mama

The younger son of Simon's godparents is graduating very soon and we would like to give him a special gift to mark this important milestone in his life. He has DS and a myriad of other health difficulties. He will be returning to his high school next year in a helper capacity for other SN kiddos, so he has a job and will continue living at home.

We are running into difficulty coming up with some gift ideas. None of my "college-bound, living on your own, setting up housekeeping for yourself" gifts would be appropriate. I am drawing a blank.

Help, please?

For my kids in that developmental range, they would LOVE an itunes card (if he has an ipad/ipod.  They also loved gift cards to local fast food and/or movie places.

Those things though aren't long term use things.  A good quality backpack if he doesn't have one or a larger wheeled carry on suitcase might be nice.  We found some carryons on Amazon for a really good price and my kids love them even though we very rarely fly anywhere.

• Like 2

My sis has DS and the best gift she got was a nice, good quality, small backpack. She loves to carry books, a notebook, pens (all also great gifts for her), and her music player (so a iTunes gift card, if he has an iPod would be great). The backpack is also great for all the doctor's appts and hospital stays. Other thoughts would be a new bedspread or decorations for the bedroom, a pass for the YMCA, movie tickets/gift card.

• Like 1

I think something to recognize that he's really moving on to a new stage is important. True, he won't be going to college or moving out but getting a job is a heck of a lot more than some people I know have managed after high school...

I'd even think like, a briefcase-type work-style backpack, or a bus pass if his family is up for that. Or the YMCA membership. Or even a nice tie, or a really nice pen. Lots of grads get those.

• Like 1

Thank you for the plethora of ideas!

Sheep Daddy will check with the graduate's father and ask if a backpack/messenger bag would work. Kiddo has some tactile issues, so we need to tread carefully. He likes movies, so a movie gift card would always be appreciated.

His town doesn't have anything in the way of public transportation, so that won't work in this situation, but it is a great idea!

He is on the younger end of the scale for his abilities/maturity/functioning.

I am still pondering...

Thank you for the plethora of ideas!

Sheep Daddy will check with the graduate's father and ask if a backpack/messenger bag would work. Kiddo has some tactile issues, so we need to tread carefully. He likes movies, so a movie gift card would always be appreciated.

His town doesn't have anything in the way of public transportation, so that won't work in this situation, but it is a great idea!

He is on the younger end of the scale for his abilities/maturity/functioning.

I am still pondering...

This may sound silly, but if he is quite immature, maybe you could find out if he is still into things like Lego sets or Transformers and if he is, you could get him something like that and instead of referring to the gifts as toys, you can say you knew he collected them to make it seem more grown up.

He might like something fun more than he would like something practical.