Menu

2E Summer Math WWYD

Normally I prefer Right Start B to Singapore Grade 1 but my concern with RS is that the teaching has a heavy auditory component. Yes, there's the abacus and other manipulatives but it still has a lot of listening to me as teacher. Singapore seems more visual a program. With my other kids I used TB + IP + CWP but while my little one is good at math, her language delay makes understanding word problems difficult.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get the workbook or the Extra Practice book or both to supplement the textbook. I don't want to bore her but OTOH, I want to make sure she actually gets a good grasp of the material.

Any thoughts?

Normally I prefer Right Start B to Singapore Grade 1 but my concern with RS is that the teaching has a heavy auditory component. Yes, there's the abacus and other manipulatives but it still has a lot of listening to me as teacher. Singapore seems more visual a program. With my other kids I used TB + IP + CWP but while my little one is good at math, her language delay makes understanding word problems difficult.

I'm trying to decide whether I should get the workbook or the Extra Practice book or both to supplement the textbook. I don't want to bore her but OTOH, I want to make sure she actually gets a good grasp of the material.

Any thoughts?

DD loved the EP and Wkbk in addition to the 1A and 1B text books.  Maybe purchase both.  DD would get excited and work ahead, but then she loves math.  I don't recall her ever getting bored, and the problem amounts weren't excessive.  In fact, DD also worked through an MCP Plaid book to make me feel better because she went so fast.

How do you feel about Miquon or using c-rods? Those were brilliant for my visual kid with auditory issues.

I've looked over Miquon several times but I just can't wrap my head around how to actually use it. Somebody needs to write "Miquon for Dummies" with handholding for me as teacher.

I might be a good idea, however, to buy some C-rods and use the Education Unboxed videos.

• Like 1

I've looked over Miquon several times but I just can't wrap my head around how to actually use it. Somebody needs to write "Miquon for Dummies" with handholding for me as teacher.

I might be a good idea, however, to buy some C-rods and use the Education Unboxed videos.

I own the Miquon stuff (all of it; the workbooks, the first-grade diary, the annotations..) and I can't possibly fathom how to use it. 

Like the idea of the Education Unboxed, though.. that might work for my little one, too. :)