Menu

Abeka Language Arts with an advanced reading/vocab/language/english child but average speller?

We school year round.

DS 7y is finishing up Abeka 3rd grade readers. We are working on R&S English 3 text right now. I give no formal vocabulary lessons but he would assess at a 3/4 grade level. He is right on par though with Spelling at 2nd grade level. He actively learns to spell at least 3 or 4 of the 16 words on his spelling list per week, the rest he has mastered already. 

I would love to move to Abeka Language Arts entirely in the fall to grade 4. A friend had an older copy of the A beka Language Arts curriculum lesson plan for me to review first and I see vocab/spelling are entwined, I do like that. But I'm not sure he can tackle 4th grade spelling.

Not being familiar with the specific spelling words, can you offer any suggestions? Will it be impossible for me to do A beka Language Arts 4 curriculum with him if we need to do different spelling words that are back at his normal age/grade level?

I have the current Abeka 4 Spelling book.  Would a sampling of the spelling words help?  If so, I can type some out for you.

If the words are too challenging, you can give only half of the words at a time.  It might mean completing the book after the school year "ends", but it has worked for some of my dc. 

• Like 1

I have the current Abeka 4 Spelling book.  Would a sampling of the spelling words help?  If so, I can type some out for you.

If the words are too challenging, you can give only half of the words at a time.  It might mean completing the book after the school year "ends", but it has worked for some of my dc. 

A sampling of some of the spelling words from the first few lessons would be very helpful. I like the thought of giving half the spelling words at one time. It is my understanding that their vocab lessons use spelling words, is that correct?

Here goes!:

List 1 -- thief, steak, August, collie, where, creativity, volcano, laid, friendliness, dangerous, Delaware, Pennsylvania, receipt, September, school, recess, could, knowledge, discipline, academic

+Vocabulary -- eternity, errand, essay, banquet, brief

List 2 -- neighbor, minute, century, reign, people, Redeemer, breathe, eighty, reduce, decent, New Jersey, Georgia, second, beige, autumn, decade, definition, weigh, principal, believable

+Vocabulary -- apologize, recognize, gratitude, excellent, utensil

Hope this helps.

• Like 1