Menu

iPad users- what curriculum/ supplemental books have you used from iBooks?

I hadn't realized that MCT's books were available on iBooks until just recently. Also the Latin reader, Minimus (with audio!) Currently there's a Spanish textbook that I'm looking at for myself.

It got me wondering what other curricula/ supplemental books might be available on iBooks that I'm missing out on. Anything you love or hate?

=============================

Update to clarify my question: I am aware that one can read PDFs in iBooks. Sometimes we do that. What I am interested in finding out is what kinds of interactive texts are available on iBooks that others have found and I might not have thought to look for. For instance, Minimus on iBooks includes audio clips interspersed throughout the text rather than having to purchase the audio CD.

Everything from Peace Hill Press

RSO

HO

Intellego Unit Studies

Harmony Fine Arts

Evan Moor

Classical House of Learning

But none of those are purchasable from iBooks, though I do use iBooks with them.

Ah. You made me realize that I need to update my post. I have some of these PDFs as well. I tend to use them in Notability.

What I am interested in finding out is what kinds of interactive texts are available on iBooks that others have found and I might not have thought to look for.

I have either purchased or downloaded samples of the following from ibooks.  Most of them are for high school level.

Miller Levine Biology

Cambridge IGCSE Geography

E.O Wilson's Life on Earth

We the People

Logic of English

Are you interested in other ebooks than what you can find on ibooks?  Some ebooks (Art of Problem Solving, Latin for the New Millennium) come in ebook format but not through ibooks.

• Like 1

I have either purchased or downloaded samples of the following from ibooks. Most of them are for high school level.

Miller Levine Biology

Cambridge IGCSE Geography

E.O Wilson's Life on Earth

We the People

Logic of English

Are you interested in other ebooks than what you can find on ibooks? Some ebooks (Art of Problem Solving, Latin for the New Millennium) come in ebook format but not through ibooks.

Actually, yes, that would be good to know. Thanks!

If you go to iTunes, search Miller Levine biology, what pops up is the text.  Well then look at the hierarchy (Textbooks, Miller-Levine) and click Textbooks to go to the section with all the textbooks in iTunes.  Then you can see EVERYTHING textbook.  I suppose there's a way to get there directly, but I don't know it.  :D

We have switched just about everything over to the iPad with significant success. I was leery at first, but the jump of interest and connection in my kid was far too high to ignore.

Most of our iBooks have been mentioned, but here are a few other iPad resources which are incredible.

Audible is avaliable for the iPad which gives you access to Great Courses as well as audiobooks.

There is also a Great Course App.

Roman Roads Media history/lit/Great Books courses are avaliable for iPad. They are like Omnibus with less religion.

ITunesU provides complete free courses with everything from videos to worksheets to lectures. The courses range the gammet of subjects. They are amazing!

Search YouTube for just about any subject and you will find various resources to learn it. Some are professional quality and highly engaging; others not so much. My son is self teaching beginning Japanese through free YouTube programs. He will need an actual textbook course in a year or so, but some of the stuff out there is really good!

From iBooks:

Trigonometry by School Yourself

They also have Hands-On Precalculus and Hands-On Calculus, but I haven't looked at them as much.

From iTunesU:

iTunesU "classes" by TASA Texas Association of School Administrators -- These are not classes, but guides to iPad related books and apps organized by subject matter (and Texas state standards) as a teacher resource.

iTunesU "classes" by Stephen Perse Foundation -- Like TASA materials except by international school standards (GCSE, A-level, IB, etc.) Very extensive collection of subjects, some are much closer to lesson plans, others are collections of useful links and apps more like the TASA materials.