Menu

Anyone HSing Boardies near Auburn Alabama?

DH is up for a promotion and Auburn is one of the possible locations where he could be transferred.  I've done my research on housing, and local parks/rec activities but I can't find much info on HSing groups.  Just wanting to know if there are any groups/co-ops/classes, or activities that are friendly to HSer's where my early teens can make friends?  

Other possible locations are in Ohio and Mississippi and I'm not thrilled about either of those (either too big or too small of a community) so we're really rooting for AL. 

I'm not from auburn but wanted at least someone to respond with some info. Auburn, I imagine, will be very homeschool friendly. My husband went to college there and I have countless friends that either grew up there or attended college there. It seems like a really great place to raise kiddos! Especially if you like football :)

I can probably connect you with a friend or two that may know more if you want. Just pm me if you want to contact them.

• Like 1

Alabama in general seems to have a fair number of homeschoolers. I don't know about Auburn specifically, though.

I'm currently in Mississippi until we head to Georgia this summer. What city is the Mississippi option?

• Like 1

I'm not sure the name of the Mississippi town, it's Central/Eastern area.  We're really not supposed to know about the locations yet since the company hasn't actually decided where they're putting the new plant. But Dh is friendly with the Boss so they talk and he mentioned Auburn and Columbus, OH (Cincinnati was an option but it's out) the Mississippi location is if the first/second choice fall through. Auburn is the most similar to my hometown and probably the only location we'd be willing to stay at for awhile.

It's very difficult in Mississippi to get a vaccination waiver. So, the anti-vaxers have to choose between private school (if they will even allow unvaccinated kids) and homeschool. It seemed like half the families at my daughter's ballet studio were homeschoolers. I know a few of them were involved in some sort of group.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that has replied so far.....

I'm not really considering the Mississippi location as a true possibility. If that's where the plant ends up DH will probably go down by himself for 3-6 months, then we might join him for up to 6 months before we either move on to another location with the company or if no other location is available then he'd just get a job with someplace else. From my understanding of the info the boss let slip, the Miss. location is a small town in a very economically depressed area.  We already live in a small town in an economically depressed area, we want out. 

Auburn, while not the most active city, is big enough and very similar to my hometown (from what I've read online) that I'd probably be okay.  

Most of my friends graduated from Auburn.  DH and I graduated from UA.  Auburn is good location for going to the beach or visiting Atlanta.  Montgomery is close and has tons of museums though I think Montgomery is  #&*& hole.  I detest Montgomery...I don't know about the homeschool situation there.  In the north of the state, homeschooling is great!

• Like 1

Huntsville is also a great visit if you are living in Auburn. Tons of engineering, computer, R&D folks are there from all over, and it's home to Space Camp. It's nothing like the rest of the state because of the job opportunites. You can also travel south to Gulf Shores. The beach there is beautiful with super white sand. The Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham was wonderful the last time I went. Montgomery is ugly, but as the capital it has some good educational options. The Alabama Shakespeare Festival happens to be there as well.

Auburn will have all that goes along with any university town, but the same could be said of Hattiesburg, MS. Auburn has a lot more to offer in the surrounding areas, so it feels less isolated.

• Like 1