Menu

I just feel like repeating some college selection advice

I'm a fan of small private colleges for kids with learning quirks. Two years ago dd was deciding between two small private colleges. Fortunately, she chose the one I would have chosen. Why would I have chosen it? Because the director of disability services was absolutely amazing. And I mean AMAZING! It's taken over two years to see that she is even more wonderful and caring than I suspected.

Dd will be getting a single room next year, her junior year. She's got CAPD, which would be enough to apply for a single room, but she just got a serious medical dx over the winter. And last week her rheumie decided she'd be better off with treatment for another, unrelated condition. Her rheumie wouldn't give us a letter for a single room request because she doesn't do that unless her patients are on immuno-suppressants (grrr), so we had to reach out to other doctors who supplied very basic information. I was worried it wasn't enough of the right documentation so yesterday I called disability services to check. I was told, "It's enough! I don't want you to have to worry about that. [Dd] has enough to worry about." This morning we got a call that a single room opened up and they thought dd should have it.  :D

I'm sure someone understands how important a quiet place is for someone with CADP, not to mention someone with CAPD who is under a lot of stress.

Get to know the people in the disability office when your making college decisions. They can make a real difference in your dc's life.

That's my PSA for today.
  • Like 11